One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See subject.

I know we all participate within the OSW in one way or another.

However . . .

How many of actively (maybe passively) also participate in the 1:6 hobby via social media such as Facebook, Instagram, etc.

There are many members who do participate in social media probably more so than the usual online discussion groups, etc. due to niche/specialized 1:6 interests and personal preferences.

What are the pros and cons (if any) of discussing and interacting with other 1:6 collectors specifically through social media?

Is it only a trend or a legitimate and valid online choice/resource due to the proliferation of social media?

Does social media bring more positive exposure to the 1:6 hobby or it really doesn't make a difference?

·
High Speed Recon Mech
732 Posts
Facebook, more over Twitter is no replacement for a full blown forum like the OSW, or the Yuku forums. Forums are meant for full discussions, Facebook is barely a step over a chat room, with photo showing as a small plus.

It's a full course meal over a snack, it's fine dining over fast food.

Facebook can augment a forum in some ways of extra exposure, but right now just can't be considered a real replacement.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I don't use social media for anything. I'm quite happy with forums for my hobbies and interests. I don't spend any time on blogs either.

I have very little computer time, and I'd rather spend it working on photos of my figures. I can cruise by a couple forums and quickly catch up on news and interact with other hobbyists while I'm enjoying the hobby. No likes or following needed.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm a part of a few groups on Facebook and Flickr. I don't post in any of them on FB. I'm in a couple just for ideas, etc. I'm not opposed to posting just really don't feel compelled to do so. Other groups I don't know why I'm there. lol Like the BC group. I was a part of it initially because I was anticipating a figure release and that group convinced me (although not intentionally) that I wasn't interesting in any offerings of BC. Several members scared me off of even asking questions due to rabid loyalty. The only reason I'm still there is because every time I go to get out, I get sucked into reading the back and forths on a post and forget why I went to the group in the first place. lol

I post on my own Flickr feed and, though I haven't posted in any groups there yet, I am there for the ideas and to see what others are doing. The groups are interesting and don't seem catty or rabid. Downside is: a lot of pictures, not a lot of discussion; or groups discussions are no longer very active in some.

OSW is still the best, I think, as far as discussion, sharing, and getting help regardless of what area of interest your figures are in. Social media groups are often very narrow in interest. Not helpful if you're like me and your interests are all over the place. Different groups for the different interests, too much to keep track of for me.

I honestly don't know if social media presence makes a difference. I would think so. But if you aren't looking for 1/6th groups are you really more likely to see it on social media? I guess that would depend on who you follow and if they have any connection to 1/6th.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I follow the Phicen Doll Collectors group, and it's nice for seeing more Phicen photos. I think social media is nice if you want to quickly share a bunch of photos, but, as others have mentioned, forums are better for thorough discussions. There are a few people who speak languages other than English on that group page, and it's nice to see their work, too.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
I'm on OSW and OSR both are good for seeing what's out there and getting to see YouTube reviews from members.

CHEERS!

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
I'm on a few doll groups on Facebook but rarely post in them much.
I do however regularly post photographs of my most popular couple on Instagram (#maxandjuno if anyone's interested!)

I much prefer forums for discussions though, as while Facebook is great for casual chats and whatnot, it's nearly impossible to archive and look up useful posts!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
I belong to two forums, this one and the Freaks (and the Freaks board tends to get on my nerves quite a bit). I refuse to do Facebook, Twitter, etc..

G

·
I'm mainly active on facebook and instagram rather than traditonal forums these days. Its easier to keep everything together on one art page that way,

·
Registered
968 Posts
I'm on a few doll groups on Facebook but rarely post in them much.
I do however regularly post photographs of my most popular couple on Instagram (#maxandjuno if anyone's interested!)

I much prefer forums for discussions though, as while Facebook is great for casual chats and whatnot, it's nearly impossible to archive and look up useful posts!
Ha! These are fantastic!!! I love your figure pics and the REX you repainted. I'm currently only on OSW. I joined for the sole purpose of discussing the hobby. But the people I speak with here are fun, interesting and intelligent in several ways. This forum has a lot to offer compared to facebook for example. I used to have a facebook account but there is too much repetition of nasty attitudes (about anything and everything under the sun) and ugly events (I prefer to read the news without facebooker's sucky social commentary). I'm continously amazed at how much better this forum is compared to other social media sites.

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,785 Posts
Facebook is where i post all my photos i share here. so yeah, mainly here and on fb and well on mwd...speaking of which time to get some new photos going.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Facebook is more visual with photo sharing, but the discussion and level of knowledge is better in OSW. I'm in a few FB groups where 50+ people will see a post, but only the same few people will ever comment. There are a lot of groups often with the same themes, so people are spread thin, and it diminishes the quality of the conversation. I think OSW attracts a different cohort as it's in the user-group format.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,923 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm a member of 17 Facebook discussion groups (not all of them about 1:6) of which I'm primarily active on one group as a member and an admin (not the owner).

I do believe that more groups don't necessarily mean it's better because it diminishes/lessens the quality of the discussion as Odysseus stated in his post/reply.

The group I admin does vet new member requests. I find it interesting when a new member who is a member 100+ groups is requesting to join the group.

I don't see myself being a member of 100+ groups let alone 50+ or even 25+ groups of all kinds, but I guess for some it's about variety (numbers) and not necessarily about quality . . . it's like the number of friends "game" one may have on Facebook.

·
Registered
565 Posts
personally I don't use facebook anymore, and I limited myself to this only forum, which is for me the most complete and open forum about 1/6th collecting (I used to follow the freaks and a few others but the general negative criticism over kinda anything made me shut my mouth for a while and finally leave lol)

I post my pics mainly on instagram which I find very cool to discover beautiful pics of customs or stock figures, and it fits my way of collecting as I don't have only 1/6th but also a lot of 1/12th (@blackpooltoys). As a pure image feed, it's always refreshing and original, some people are very talented photographers and inspired artists. It's not "made" to discuss basically, but I met a lot of interesting people there, even some new retailers or distributors I hadn't heard of before (btw if some OSWers are on instagram or any other social media let us know!)

I think it brings a positive exposure to the hobby yes, social media are THE trend these days so it's an open door for more exposure. I find it positive as it might drag new hobbists, or at least more visibility out of the regular 1/6th community. That said I don't think it competes with the usual forums where discussions are much more specific and technical.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think there are uses and advantages across a lot of different platforms.

I'm on instagram (reverendspooky if anyone is interested. Mostly custom figure pic, interspersed with beer, whiskey and cats). Instagram is great for just scrolling through and seeing tons of pics. #onesixthcustom or # actionfigurephotography and you can just look at so much stuff really quickly. It's also nice, because I feel like with instagram, a lot of people I know are on and, while not specifically 1/6 or toy fans, dig seeing cool project pics.

I mainly use Twitter for news, and I haven't figured out a good way to use it for much related to the hobby. I do cross post from other platforms to twitter, but I'm not really sure if it does any good. I do have alerts set up for when any toy companies I watch announce anything, so it's a nice way to keep on top of when someone like ThreeA or 1000Toys is going to have up a new figure for sale.

I've managed to stay off facebook, although I do think, if you're doing any sort of custom work you want to be seen, it probably is the best way to get the most exposure for your work. I just kinda hate facebook, and can't bring myself to do it.

I do think a forum like this is the best way to have actual discussions with other people who are genuinely, passionately excited about the 1/6 hobby. Everyone on here is specifically here because they want to discuss 1/6 scale figures. And I think as far as forums go, from what I've seen, this is one of the best communities around. It's diverse, and most of the conversations are handled with a maturity and level of respect that's increasingly rare online. Seriously, OSW at it's WORST is significantly better than almost anywhere else online on any average day. I see a lot of frustration with stuff like the updates, but I hope people don't take for granted that this really is a great community. I've seen tons of fantastic work from people here, learned more, had people answer any question I've ever asked. I've collaborated on projects (Johnnye4 did the woodwork for my Nuka-Cola vending machine for a hell of a fair price) and have even been sent pieces when I've been completely at a loss to find something (GregT sent me a pair of cowboy boots! Seriously, who the hell is that nice?!). So for me at least, I think this is my favorite spot for the 1/6 scale parts of my life.

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
Those that discount Facebook simply because it's "social media" are missing out on a lot of discussion and valuable information on relevant interests. I also have to strongly disagree with those that say that the knowledge base on OSW is higher (when it comes to certain subjects) and that searching groups is difficult, but I'll address those points below. I'm a member of several different 1:6 forums but OSW is the only one that I regularly post in. I'm also a member of many FB groups but I only regularly post in "1/6 Ruskie-philes". That's a private group but if you're interested, see the link below and send me a PM. Personally, I believe that each format has it's own strengths and weaknesses and to discount either based solely on those weaknesses is a huge mistake.

OSW (and other forums) can be a very useful resource considering the huge number of users and the awesome amount of content that can be found here. However, the subject matter is very broad, which requires searching for relevant topics that interest me and filtering out those that don't. Sometimes it's also a hassle dealing with the evolving nature of the forum software and it's limitations and occasional bugs. The matter of posting images is an issue, with the gallery not working properly for some people and not being intuitive at all. Also, there's the issue of third party image hosts, with a very significant number of the archived posts here, no longer having viewable images because of the recent Photobucket subscription debacle. Still, when the negatives are weighed against the positives, I find OSW a compelling place to visit nearly ever day. OSW actually has many more strengths than weaknesses but I didn't mention many of those positives because most of you are aware of those already or you wouldn't be here. I say that to be fair because I really do love OSW and I don't want my comments to be taken the wrong way.

FB groups don't have as many members but they are often very focused groups. In the Russian group I post in, there are only about 50 members but it's active and most topics of conversation will be of some interest to me or others with similar interests. Also, those members are very knowledgeable about Russian subjects, so it is usually the first place that I ask a question when I need information on that niche. To address "knowledge base", I have to admit that most of those members were recruited from OSW but the fact that they have a more focused place to discuss topics of interest, means that much more relevant modern Russian subjects are discussed there than on OSW. There is one unfortunate and unforeseen side effect that I've noticed that negatively impacts forums. Now that some tightly niche oriented members have a topic focused place to discuss their interests, a few of them rarely or never post here anymore. The FB group software does have it's limitations but many of those have work arounds if you're willing to do a bit of searching to find them. The one that bothered me the most was not being able to easily post multi-paragraph replies to topics, because hitting "Enter" alone, would post my reply rather than dropping down a line. Fortunately, there is a work around for that by holding down "Shift" and hitting "Enter" twice, to drop down two lines to start another paragraph. Also, FB has the most user friendly way of posting images that I know of. As for searches, FB groups are also easily searchable if you use the box on the left side of the group page that says "search this group". Another huge strength of FB is the fact that reference files (pdf, txt, etc.) can easily be uploaded for other members to download. There is a file size limitation but that can be worked around by using multi-part "rar" files.

Like I said, if you're discounting FB just because it's FB, then you're making a mistake. That's assuming that there are groups there that interest you. However, if there aren't groups that interest you, you can always create you own and spread the word around here or in other forums (but be sure to ask permission first). Wesley (Daewon_ton) created the "1/6 Ruskie-philes" group and I spread the word around to recruit members here: 1/6 Russkie-philes on Facebook.

I don't use any other type of social media for the hobby, such as Instagram or twitter but I'm open to it if anyone can provide a compelling reason to do so.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts