One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
See subject.

Believe it or not, I've cut back significantly compared to what I usually accumulate and procure.

If and when I do buy extras, I find myself discreetly and quietly selling off some extras from time to time.

My challenge has always been to enjoy (i.e. display, open, set up, etc.) whatever I accumulate. I made some head way over the past couple of months.

I do see myself winding down more or less and at times seriously considered calling it quits, but then again it's a hard habit to break.

·
Brit Basher
2,509 Posts
Re: How many of us actually "cut back" on collecting? How does it feel?

I went through a mad phase of buying and have landed myself with box after box after box after box... everything from USMC WW2, USMC Modern, British Modern (about 10 boxes alone of various British parts - enough to make God knows how many figures), US Army Modern, every branch of the US Army (Airborne/Rangers etc) in WW2... it never ends.

I came to the realisation that if I was ever going to actually make use of all these parts I would end up with hundreds of figures, and I'm not exaggerating. So I'm currently in the process of sorting stuff out and will be posting a mahoosive sale thread on here selling off absolutely everything except my British parts. It will feel good in the end, but right now the prospect is daunting. I regret hoarding all of this stuff and just sitting on it.

I also have completely cut back on new purchases. There was a time when every WW2 figure I'd buy, every modern US figure I'd buy. But not anymore. Only the DAM British figures and some Hot Toys movie stuff have I bought in the past few years. Again, a combination of higher and higher prices (no judgement from me on the merit of said prices either way) and lack of desire to ever wish to display a thousand figures means I have no interest anymore. I really choose my purchases carefully now.

Honestly, I feel I'm enjoying it better now that I'm not buying for the sake of buying. It means when I do get a new figure its relatively rare and far more enjoyable.

·
Web Research Junkie
1,598 Posts

5 years ago my youngest daughter was born, the year after that I took a new job and moved to a new town and bought land with it. My real love 1/1 firearms has grown by leaps and bounds during this time. needless to say in 5 years I have bought no loose parts and maybe 3 boxed figures each year. considering i was spending $3-600 a month previously I guess you could say I have had a dramatic decrease. While I still love the hobby I do not have the time and energy to dedicate to it anymore and Family, Work and firearms collecting take up all my time. Years ago I would have killed for all the cool unique stuff especially the Russians flooding the market now, but oh well

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

I've cut back the spending quite a bit, I used to average 2 Hot Toys figures and some extra stuff in between to keep the rush high of getting new stuff a month, I bought a lot of cool stuff and a number of stuff I could have easily did without. I find that a well displayed small collection is more satisfying to look at then a massive one, I also don't really collect high end figures these days, mostly vintage or less expensive toy lines. I'm glad I don't spend what I used to and spend more of my time on fun little bashes or restorations of vintage pieces.

My big break from collecting came a couple of years ago, I got drawn powerfully to the bible and my life completely changed, its given me real purpose, wisdom and so much more, not going to go to much further on that subject as I'm sure speaking about religion may be a touchy subject for some and its also not the intent of the thread. Bottom line is I have more fun now fixing old toys and appreciating less expensive figures lines that are just as fun or in some cases more fun to pose around without the worry of messing up a 200+ figures outfit:LOL

·
Registered
1,814 Posts

I don't think I really cut back so much, but I have redirected my money for sure.
I would say 90% is strictly for custom figures that I want made. Normally they
are all custom figure projects that I spearhead. If other people show interest I welcome them to the project.
But either way, it's going to get made for at least me. Because I consider each of them a grail.

Yeah, that seems a little selfish, but it's normally the only way they would ever get made.

So bottom line: the amount of what I have is not important anymore.
Only the subject or subject matter of the what I have is important.
I've literally only bought 3 boxed figures in the last 5 years.

Just think about my last 6 projects. All custom heads I had made for me and for the most part, I did the rest.
With the exception of the Ragnar head, the Van Zan, Quinn, BSD Gary Oldman, Doomsday Sol and Cullen Bohannon
heads got very little attention.

But none of that matters like it used to. Because I feel and get much more enjoyment
with how I do things now, than I ever have.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts

Buying stuff is not and never will be fulfilling. Shopping is just a temporary endorphin hit, a moment of meaningless joy, maybe you found that thing you were hunting for, but so what? Unless you can really tell a story or make something meaningful out of that purchase, it immediately loses its value upon purchase. I look over my many boxes of unopened stuff and I can say that I'd be able to get rid of 75% of it without any regret whatsoever. I wouldn't even miss them. The same goes but even more so for my loose gear. All those piles of gear for "future projects" that will never be made because I have neither the time nor inclination to actually make all of those figures. The mentality of having to buy all the things is a trap and if done excessively, is worth reflecting on to understand what's truly making you do it. The things that give me lasting satisfaction in this hobby are the customizing, kitbashing, and anything else that you can apply your personal creativity to (could even be arranging a beautiful display for your collection). The rest is just shopping.

So all that's a roundabout way of saying, yes, I cut back recently and I don't feel bad about it. In fact, I feel great.

·
Respect, Honour, Courage
2,909 Posts

I've cut back a lot recently too. I keep having cutbacks and selling off my stuff and then regretting it - I used to have the exact amount of armoury British dpm sets I am currently looking for - the same goes for other projects I have looked to restart to only realise I haven't got them anymore so now I really try to cut back to only what I really would love to do and keep in my collection and which I know I would not part with

·
Registered
167 Posts

I only started a couple of years ago and I wnet way overboard with it. Now I have figures still in their boxes and nowhere to put them! So I have cut down a lot in the last six months!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts

Up to three years ago I would have been buying up to and possibly slightly more than twenty figures a year, that has now dwindled to possibly three or four, price rises have been the main reason along with subject matter, four years back I would have snapped up DID's SS MG crew, now I look on the shelves and see I have a 12thHJ SS MG crew from Normandy 44 already so if DID's set has a part that I may consider an upgrade for that MG crew then I may buy it loose instead.
Having bought most of ACE Toys Vietnam figures the last three or four have passed me by, again I bought the radio set loose, Dam Toys for the most part have been my main source of boxed figures although I have to admit I wasn't that Impressed with the Vietnam MG figure I thought it looked a little sparse compared to other Dam figures, I really wanted to buy the Dam Toys Brit Mini gunner exclusive but the price was way to much, the other problem I have is by the time I get around to considering buying a figure they have either sold out or doubled in price so I don't bother.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts

Yes, and not bad as I can live vicariously through OSW when I need a fix.

CHEERS!

·
Lurker Extraordinaire
324 Posts

I've cut back a number of times over the years for various reasons- figures started getting more expensive, my son was born, figures got more expensive, bought a bigger (more expensive) house, my daughters were born, figures got more expensive, etc. So between all of the little cuts over time, it's pretty rare for me to get a boxed figure at all these days- I think the last one I got was a ThreeZero Titanfall Pilot, and that was well over a year ago. With so many other things vying for my finite time and money these days, it was pretty easy to close the door on most of my own 1:6 collecting, and with prices being what they are these days, I found it tough to justify purchasing more than the extremely occasional "treat" figure anyway. I do still buy some loose parts every now and then, but even that has become a bit of a rarity for me.
How does it feel? Good. Sure, I miss all the time I used to have for 1:6, but now most of that same time is spent playing with my kids instead. My son is old enough to start playing video games and sports with me, and my girls are really starting to get interested in Lego (mostly Duplo at this age, but they get to play with normal Lego on occasion and with close supervision), so we've been spending a lot of time building with those lately instead and having a ball.

·
Schizophrenic Modeler
4,735 Posts

I've actually ramped up my purchases during the past year, but I will be slowing down for the time being. Maybe I'll purchase the odd loose part or two, but I'm cutting back on full boxed figure sets.

David

·
Registered
3,729 Posts

I was going crazy for a while, but now that I have a new house I've been slowly working on finally getting all my stuff out of boxes and get them displayed, and I realize I don't have enough room for all this stuff. I'm definitely cutting back on boxed sets.

·
Registered
268 Posts

sometimes it feels that i'm "getting" cut back, for some items are taking ages to be released, so i lose interest in the topic in the meantime.

whereas would it have been on display in a store at the moment it would have been an instant purchase.

sadly germany lacks any kind of 1/6 brick and mortar store and usually figures are no longer available by the time my interest grows(mainly video-game related) or is listed as a distant pre order with no substitute at hand.
whether thats a curse or blessing in disguise for my wallet is yet to be determined ;)
there's one thing regarding prices though, i remember years ago snatching up dragon ww2 figures by the dozens, sometimes on a weekly basis ending up with a now put on hold diorama in my basement and 1 1/2 tiger tanks on top.
don't ask what happend to the "half"tank :)
but that was when a figure was about 30-50€ on ebay.
oh and i'm absolutely running out of space right now for i gonna put away some dioramas if i ever want to display my current one.

·
Registered
265 Posts

Every time I told myself to assert self control, I would be thinking I might live to regret that decision. Why do i buy them? I asked myself. Coz they're beautiful? We get to see what we liked, movies, comics, historical characters etc, to materialise, and able to own it? To take pictures? The urges to resist are just too big. ..

·
Registered
832 Posts

I have pretty much come to the end of my 1/6 collection as I have run out of display space. In the last year, I got into kitbashing and by Jan this year, suddenly had an increase of 5 figures with 3 more still waiting for POed parts. I have also POed 3 Hot Toys Justice League figures end last year, and intend to get Aquaman's Mera if Hot Toys makes it. Other than Lynder Carter's Wonder Woman that I have always been hoping for, if it is ever made, that will be my ever last one. I believe in displaying my figures, which is what they are for, and not hiding in boxes. And sadly, my Star Wars Ep IV Leia and Luke, Superman's Joe-El have no display space at all. I don't see the point of adding any more beyond that, as my original intent was to have some good figure examples for my 3D computer modeling and animation hobby.

·
Registered
48 Posts

I am not cutting back (yet). I still have some shelf space and as long as I pace myself, it can last for a while. I think the trick to collecting long term is NOT to buy too many, and have a focus.

For example, for 1/6 i mostly collect hot toys marvel and movie figures (Terminator and so on). Because of shelf space and budget, I pretty much force myself to have only ONE version of EACH character (few exceptions like the Hulkbuster and IM mark 7, and two steve rogers .. but most of the time, only one). I also collect Japanese super robot toys ... same philosophy. Never two versions of the same mecha on my shelves.

I have been doing this (well toys in general, 1/6 since ~2013) and it works quite well.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts

There are three main reasons I have cut back, not because I want to or choose to, but because:

1) There are not as many people selling or trading on the boards any more like there use to be. That's were i got most of my loose stuff. I really enjoyed trading gear and buying from fellow collectors.

2) The prices have skyrocketed and are out of control. The current figures and gear are awesome but are just too expensive. Can no longer buy two or even five or six of a figure not when they are $150 a piece or more.

3) The current selection is very slim. I collect mainly World War II and Nam figures, gear and vehicles. But there just isn't much new stuff coming out.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts

I left the hobby in the spring of 2014 namely because my daughter was born, prices were raising uncontrollable, and other life reasons. I had approximately 125 to 135 figures in 2014 from various eras including modern, wwii, video games, and movies with well over ten parts bins. I just recently return to the hobby the past few months and only have 30 figures left and hardly any loose parts anymore. Instead of buying in bulk like I use too I only look for deals and concentrate on projects that take me months to a year to complete - a piece here, a part there until it's finish before moving on to the next one. This way it saves me money and cuts down on impluse buying that I was guilty of.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts

A couple of years ago I had to cut back due to financial reasons, but it was liberating in a way.
I realised that most of the stuff I bought was simply on childish impulse. The "I want that" syndrome.
Nowadays I am very choosy on what I do buy, and usually I fund it by selling off older stuff. In that manner I've sold off most of my WWII collection, as well as most of my aliens and predators.
Space also had a part in it, as I really don't have room for the 100+ figures I still own.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts