One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
God Bless America
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I want to say I hope my OSW brothers are all safe and well. I'm great.
Ok, enough warmth.

How has this Corona virus, Wuhan virus, Covid-19, whatever you want to call it affected your buying? Locally, ALL swap meets and conventions have been canceled, and non-essential shops have been shut down.
Any buying I do is online, which I'm trying to cut down on. One reason for that is nobody knows how long this will last or how bad it will get. I've heard several smart, informed people on both ends of the possibilities.

So, are you buying? Where? How much? Will you sign over your stimulus check to War-Toys?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
glad you're doing well.... my buying habits haven't changed lately, I've got so much stuff piled up I'll never use it all.
(I did get a great deal from Undead Soldier a few days ago, parts I actually have need for.)
I run a small business that depends on face-to-face interaction. the covid will cut that in half for at least the
next few weeks. so in that sense 1/6 expenditures will be the first discretionary spending that will cease.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Mainly delays in deliveries for pre-orders. Manufacturing in China is just starting to get going. Same with other countries in SE Asia. This will likely have a knock on effect for a while. Cutting down on some discretionary spending as well until things cool off.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I've stopped making 1/6 purchases altogether for now -- other than the few remaining pre-orders I still have. Since I partially fund my hobby via whatever I make on ebay sales every month, I don't have much spare funds atm as I've stopped selling for the foreseeable future. I'm located in the UK and my husband is an NHS worker, so honestly the hobby is the least of my concerns right now. I am just trying to spend as much time with him as possible, and trying not to focus on the fact that he's now in mortal danger every day. When I feel up to it, I try to distract myself by working on my current WIP custom figures, though there are many days where I don't feel up to doing all that much.

This situation has sucked the joy out of my life as I'm sure it has for many people out there, so participating in a hobby is currently in this weird space in my mind.... where I still desperately need it as a distraction, but it's simultaneously become much less important to me for the time being.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,891 Posts
Not much asides from delays / waiting.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Will you sign over your stimulus check to War-Toys?
HAHAHAHA - probably...

Had a real good chuckle at that one!

I'm not buying anything right now; I've plastic totes of loose parts that I should turn into completed figures. So I have a list of projects to work on and am so far on track.

Our monthly club meeting was cancelled last week so we are communicating through an e-mail chain right now - and of course, via text/iMessage/Facebook messenger, etc.

Had our yearly FIGURECON show taken place one week later in March we would have had to cancel it based on our governor's orders about large gatherings.

If anyone is interested in any of our 1:6th club things I've mentioned above, there are photos here on OSW and you can check out the links in my signature line for more information (on Facebook and our website).

Hope all is as well as it can be for everyone!

Fred

·
Registered
833 Posts
As of today, Singapore has implemented a social distancing 'Circuit Breaker'. We are semi-lockdown. All non-essentials are closed. Only online delivery is possible. All businesses have been shifted to home-based office. Schools are running with Home Based Learning online, and I am frantically setting up my computer setup at home to conduct lessons to my tertiary students that starts this Wednesday. And the teaching staff are cracking our heads over how to possibly teach some very slow learners and special needs learners Autocad for Architecture under such conditions, where side-by-side personal assistance is usually necessary! Also frantically trying to make sure my students have computers that can run the software. There are several students who can't afford, and I had to source alternatives to direct them to. Had to buy/setup 1 used i7 computer set to lend 1 student on Sunday. At least all my students are equipped now, and been instructing them on software installations. 16 - 17 yr olds can be a pain in this 'me, I and myself' generation! And now, the semi-lockdown starts.

My orders from China have been very slow in shipping overseas. The order from mid-March have yet to arrive, it is en-route. The 2nd batch has not all been delivered to their shipping collection centre in Guangzhou, China yet for export here, so still pending. I'm now over budget due to such last minute extras setting up for this Circuit Breaker that was only announced last Friday afternoon.

There is a new elf & unicorn figure set from Lucifer 1/6 that's really tempting! But I have no budget now!!!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
The up side being on lock down I have plenty of time to assemble things that I have had in boxes from two years ago when I last moved. Down side had to cancel what was going to be my first trip to Joe lanta.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I hope everyone is well. Just like many of you, I have several parts bins in the garage and I've gathered all the loose parts of my Action Man figures, going back 20+ years of them being scattered in limbo, and assembled nine figures so far. I washed the clothing and ironed them. I've gotten some really beat-up Action Men from Ebay years ago and now I finally had the motivation to fix them up; I washed them with a good scrubbing with an old toothbrush, dishsoap and water, touched up the faces with paint and even restrung a body for the first time. I made minor repairs to my vintage 5-Star Jeep. To do this, I ordered repro and replacement parts from Cotswold. I was surprised that I had almost all the parts I needed for certain figures. Here are photos I took while practicing safe social distancing in my backyard:

Attachments

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,031 Posts
So far none. There might be some delivery delays. But I don't buy as much as I used to, so that won't be a big slow down much either.

If I do end up getting a work stoppage, I'll have a lot more time to get some customs done and some organizing taken care of. I'm almost hoping for that because these 66 hour work weeks are getting to be a bit much.

All doing well here. I hope you all are as well. Luckily for us, this hobby lends itself to staying indoors more than usual. Take advantage of these times to enjoy the hobby as a distraction. Get reconnected with old school forms of communication like the telephone. Spend time with your families. Social distancing doesn't mean you have nothing to do.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I hope everyone is well. Just like many of you, I have several parts bins in the garage and I've gathered all the loose parts of my Action Man figures, going back 20+ years of them being scattered in limbo, and assembled nine figures so far. I washed the clothing and ironed them. I've gotten some really beat-up Action Men from Ebay years ago and now I finally had the motivation to fix them up; I washed them with a good scrubbing with an old toothbrush, dishsoap and water, touched up the faces with paint and even restrung a body for the first time. I made minor repairs to my vintage 5-Star Jeep. To do this, I ordered repro and replacement parts from Cotswold. I was surprised that I had almost all the parts I needed for certain figures. Here are photos I took while practicing safe social distancing in my backyard:

Very cool shots you have!!!

·
Scratchbuilder
Action Figures
11,275 Posts
Yeh.... It's actually kinda putting a bit of a strain on me. I know I have commissions that need to be done and... sadly I been making mask for the hospitals and family...

Trust me when I say! My Fabric collection is running.. low.. I do mean.. dangerously low.. I just hope this BS is done we get over the hill and things can.... Somewhat go back to the norm.

take care of yourselves guys! be in good health! WASH YOUR HANDS! *LOL* And please... please.. again, take care of yourselves and godspeed and his blessing.

·
IMOK
1,023 Posts
Howdy folks! Im happy to be be posting here again! Covid19 has given me the chance get back to the hobby!!! Hope all is well with you and your families. Ill be posting some figures soon--- so look for it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Since I work from home anyhow it hasn't bothered me much,but now that my wife is home I was able to get a project done I have been putting off! I collect real life WW2 material as well as 1/6th scale and I was running out of room in my WW2 room,I had an 8X12 room I built years ago on the back of my first man cave trailer but it wasn't going to work the way it was built,so I tore it down in pieces,roof and floor stayed intact but the walls I had to completely tear down,they had to be shorter anyhow,I set the floor and rebuilt the walls then set the roof back on,then I tore out the back wall of the trailer so I had one big room,I'm still working on getting everything on the shelves but it looks like I will have extra room,at least for now!
Here is the before and after pictures,much better!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Some of us are deemed too essential in our jobs so not much has changed. I still work but try to take precautions. I must admit Im envious of all of you that are staying home.

·
Registered
222 Posts

Great images!!

Love the Joe with the Blue Duck Boat. Fantastic!

Paratrooper images are cool. He is even properly covering his reserve. Nice attention to detail.

More images!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's certainly given me time to work on 1/6 scale clothes, especially as I'm having to draft my own patterns, mock up, test and then adjust the patterns based off my test run. All hand-sewn as I don't possess a sewing machine. I'm hoping to have my basic sloper patterns for my figures down, so I can just expand off of those if I want to do fancier stuff.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts