One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After decades of collecting, I finally found a combination of containers and shelving that is functional and easy
on the eyes. Once I finish labeling these bins, I will be good to go.

Doing this made me wonder what storage systems our other members are using for their parts backlog. What
works for you?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I use some of the sturdier boxes from figures (TBLeague makes nice ones),remove all the foam trays/inserts, and put the majority of loose parts in individually labeled ziplock baggies. For head sculpts I use plastic parts bins like the ones found at hardware/home improvement stores. I also bought two long TV cabinets from IKEA (don’t see them being made anymore) that I can store the boxes in. On top of those cabinets are Detolf units.

·
Sir Lurksalot
673 Posts
I have a plastic tub that has seperate upper section that has dividers. They make the bottom in a deep and a shallow bottom and I use the shallow for my "project box". I do wish they would make dividers for the bottoms. Bodies go in the bottom and the top gets divided into sections for hands, feet/boots, uniforms, webgear, firearms and knives/swords, etc.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,247 Posts
I have so many options for storage, it makes me think I have too many figures.

Basic storage shelving. Organizer bins. Larger plastic bins. Ziploc bags. Shoebox style figure boxes.

·
Head in the clouds...
1,464 Posts
Like Captain Canuck, I use Ziplock bags to keep all of the unused extras from each boxed figure and write the name of the figure on the baggie with a Sharpie.

I then store all of the Ziplock baggies in either a large cardboard box or one of the really big plastic storage containers.

Reactions: otaku72

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
For loose items I use a variety of Dollar Store boxes, beading, or fishing tackle trays. But IMHO the #1 thing you need to preserve sanity is a good Label Maker, and I love my new one: https://www.amazon.com/DYMO-LabelMa...abel+manager+pnp+plug+and+play+,aps,77&sr=8-6

I've had a bunch of handheld labellers the years, from Dymo or Brother, ever since the days they used to do embossed plastic. This latest one however is USB Plug and Play on the computer, so it's super-easy to vary fonts etc (which is great on the eye for finding stuff quickly). It even allows small black and white pics, so eg my Super Hero stuff boxes start labels with a SHIELD logo. Or, you can use it in actual bashes, like Indy's name tag here:

Reactions: otaku72

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For loose items I use a variety of Dollar Store boxes, beading, or fishing tackle trays. But IMHO the #1 thing you need to preserve sanity is a good Label Maker, and I love my new one: https://www.amazon.com/DYMO-LabelManager-Wireless-Label-1812570/dp/B009NUWRF4/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1AZ3P1RH341ZU&keywords=dymo+labelmanager+pnp+plug+and+play&qid=1643568087&sprefix=dymo+label+manager+pnp+plug+and+play+,aps,77&sr=8-6

I've had a bunch of handheld labellers the years, from Dymo or Brother, ever since the days they used to do embossed plastic. This latest one however is USB Plug and Play on the computer, so it's super-easy to vary fonts etc (which is great on the eye for finding stuff quickly). It even allows small black and white pics, so eg my Super Hero stuff boxes start labels with a SHIELD logo. Or, you can use it in actual bashes, like Indy's name tag here:

Completely agree with the label maker. I'm looking for self adhesive label pockets to attach to my smaller bins.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Like Captain Canuck, I use Ziplock bags to keep all of the unused extras from each boxed figure and write the name of the figure on the baggie with a Sharpie.

I then store all of the Ziplock baggies in either a large cardboard box or one of the really big plastic storage containers.
Agreed. I'm kind of OCD with baggies and arranging items in bins by kind.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have so many options for storage, it makes me think I have too many figures.

Basic storage shelving. Organizer bins. Larger plastic bins. Ziploc bags. Shoebox style figure boxes.
The container store has gotten a lot of $$$ from me buying bins.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rectangle Shelving Automotive lighting Silver Gas

Show and tell time. Bakers rack and translucent totes. Part of the parts backlog storage. I got rid of all of my carboard boxes years ago. The Iris totes are great for storage, but they don't ship well. Had a lot of replacement parts requests because of improper packing. The Container Store's plastic shoe boxes are okay. The snap on lids barely stay attached. I use giant rubber bands to keep them together.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,247 Posts
View attachment 492188

Show and tell time. Bakers rack and translucent totes. Part of the parts backlog storage. I got rid of all of my carboard boxes years ago. The Iris totes are great for storage, but they don't ship well. Had a lot of replacement parts requests because of improper packing. The Container Store's plastic shoe boxes are okay. The snap on lids barely stay attached. I use giant rubber bands to keep them together.
Yours looks even more organized than mine actually is. I like the transparent ones because you can actually see what's inside. I did buy a bunch of Rubbermaid bins on sale, and you can't see into those, so I have to be pretty diligent on labelling the contents of each bin.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yours looks even more organized than mine actually is. I like the transparent ones because you can actually see what's inside. I did buy a bunch of Rubbermaid bins on sale, and you can't see into those, so I have to be pretty diligent on labelling the contents of each bin.
Thanks. The transparency does help but I still do a lot of blind bin pulling because I haven't added labels to each one.
Labels for the win.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
After decades of collecting, I finally found a combination of containers and shelving that is functional and easy
on the eyes. Once I finish labeling these bins, I will be good to go.

Doing this made me wonder what storage systems our other members are using for their parts backlog. What
works for you?
Can you share what kind of bins do you use and how do you store your MISB figures? The boxes, while beautiful, literally takes up TOO much space for me. I do not mind something really small and tight like a vacuum sealed clamshell but worry about it being strong enough and moisture proof.

Appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
5,687 Posts
Should have included this recommendation above: Try to eat 3 Danishes for every Boxed figure. My main 1/6 supplier is Toy Square, and there’s a Costco in the same complex, so it’s easy. IMHO this is a perfect 1/6 figure sorting/storage unit, and they’re free. About the same rigidity as any toy blister at the retail store. Convenient to sort, access and work with. For longterm strength and more moisture protection etc these stack conveniently within big lidded crates. Just get the Danishes or croissants, so there’s no smooshed cream to wash off. :)

Reactions: Valken
1 - 19 of 19 Posts