One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you start? What sort of structure to you place under the sculpt? I'm looking to sculpt a Ashley Wood style Tank Girl head for a Cy-Girl body... I have a sketch of what I'm going for and have sculpted before. I always do this a different way though and was wondering if there's a "right" way?

I have Super Sculpy, Apoxie, and beads for eyes. I also have access to dowels, wood, and tools.

My Sketch:

The only pics I could find from the comic online, Tank is the one with blonde hair.
http://dedguy.net/images/junk/TGirl01-1.jpg
http://dedguy.net/images/junk/TGirl01-2.jpg
http://dedguy.net/images/junk/TGirl01-5.jpg

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
I don't think there's a right way, except the one that works for you. You'll find it somehow. Theres the method Tony Barton puts out, and I'm sure you can glean some trade 'secrets' from the Longbow 'MITM' Team, or even our talented Reggie or Bob Parr of sideshow, and the many other skilled OSW members.

I generally sculpt the face-forehead past scalp and jawline up to ears first. I just use enough super sculpey in my hands for that part, usually not a lot, and add on the back of the head and ears later, so its pretty much hollow. I don't use any backing anymore, but I have to be careful with it in my hands or else I'll squish it or make it too warm and leave finger prints :p Sometimes I'll drop it but it never seems to dent, though I'm always afraid the nose is flattened @[email protected]

Mhmm for eyes you may want to use BBs, the silver kind. If you only do a wash over them instead of painting over them, they have this devilish luster that peeks out. I think that would be nice for tank girl. For the shape of her head that you've drawn, you should look up some 'how to sculpt elf dolls' tutorials. That niche is really popular and their sculptors very skilled. They usually work at a larger scale but the principles will still apply me thinks.

BTW, uber cool sketch. Was that done with tablet or straight up mouse? I love it, so much mischievous character.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was done with a tablet, was tryng to capture the look of Ashley Wood's take on the character while still drawing something that will work in 3d. I usually sketch in Photoshop and finish in Illustator but in this case the sketch is all I need.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man I am so out of practice with the sculpting. I can't even get the shape of the head right... it's really frustrating. It's mostly the eyes giving me hell. Working with the beads is driving me nuts.

They keep floating around inside the head as I push clay around. Maybe I'll sculpt a skull-like shape as a base to stick the eyes in, cure that, and then sculpt over that. I'll keep trying no matter what I do.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I usually get the basic head, and facial structure all roughed out before I put the eyes in. it will help keep them from wandering around. If they get pushed in, I go in through the back of the head with one of my tools, and push them back out. There isn't a right, or wrong when it comes to art. It's what works for the artist. Good luck on your project. Can't wait to see it.

(P.S. Thanks Saiko :thumb )

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I ended up sculpting the skull first, which was a nice exercise. Helped me get back into the groove. I am also contempating leaving the final sculpt rough like the skull is now (and not smoothing it with lighter fluid or something) to better represent Ashley Wood's style. Not sure about that yet though.

I think I need to cut down the cheekbones a bit though. Make them flatter and tighter to the skull. Tank has a round face but not particularly jutting cheekbones.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Hi Dedguy, looking good so far,

You just made me dig out an old copy of Dark Horse Insider where they interviewed their top sculptor Randy Bowen (No relation, unfortunately!) The part that stood out for me was that he bakes the sculpey when he's completed each stage of the sculpt to his satisfaction. So, if you like what you have so far, bake it, then add the rest and if you like that then bake it. He also said that this stabilises the armature. What you could also do is mould and cast early stages of the sculpt that you like, then, if something does go awry, you've got something to go back to.

Hope this helps

CHEERS!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, I just started working on my first head (really just a practice project) and if I don't cure it pretty often, I find I destroy my previous work while working on the next stage. Actually trying to sculpt something gives you a lot of respect for what professional sculptors do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts