One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello I am new at this whole sixth scale figure thing and was wondering if anybody had any good techniques or knew any websites that may have information on how to weather the clothing for my 1:6 scale figures?

·
King Geek and OSW Admin
9,329 Posts
I use a method called "dry brushing".

For weathering a whole uniform, take a decent-sized, flat-head brush and dip it in your desired color. (For me it's Tamiya BUFF for desert and Tamiya FLAT EARTH for a woodland enviorment. The colors apply to the color effect you're looking for-- not the color of the fatigures.)

Be sure to get as much of it off the brush and back into the bottle as possible. Then rub your brush on a double-folded paper towel till it look like almost all of the paint is of your brush.

Now apply the brush to the uniform. You'll want to build up the dirt in layers because you can always apply more paint if you need it-- but you can't take it away once it's on. So, that's why it's important to be sure you have as much paint off the brush as possible before you apply it to the uniform.

Once you get a feel for it, things will go faster. You won't get much coverage out of each dip in the bottle, so be prepared to keep going back.

You don't need to be subtle. Feel free to really rub the brush into the clothing-- much in the same way a uniform would be rubbed in the mud or sand in real life.

Also, to be more realistic, be sure to weather the areas that would meet the dirt heavier (like knees, elbow and butts) than areas that wouldn't.

Once you have the base layer, you can take a darker color-- or weathering chalk (just ground up pastel chalks from an art store)-- and go deeper with the drity areas and creases around folds and pockets and such.

Hopefully, this will get you off to a good start!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks this has been a big help! I have dry brushed walls before just not on this scale, so it shouldn't be too hard to learn to do it.

What kind of paints would you recommend? I has some art acrylics lying around as far as that I would have to go by paints. Also all my paints are water based not if it matters.

I have some uniforms I can practice on in the meantime.

Thank you for your help so it is appreciated :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok thanks allot man :)

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I think I need to step it up and finally give this stuff a shot.

I really admire the work GS does....with figures like his out there on the board...I get nervous posting my pics! LOL!

again...thanks for the tips. they are well received.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The other way would be buying pastels and using them this way if yo make a mistake you can start again they are really easy to work with.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I have been using scale model train paint pens called Floquil. They are enamel paint markers and come in a couple of variety packs. I got a pretty cheap pack of em from the local hobby shop that included mud/earth/ and grime (which is actually the best to use of all of them). I am pretty new to the customizing (been collecting for about two years and am up to about 75 figures) and lack a whole lot of artistic talent and find these really easy to use on my WWII figures.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Wow, Stinny. Thanks! I haven't tried weathering yet, but this is going to be archived for future reference sure. I'm thinking my OSW dio figure will be the first to benefit from this ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
MCAVSOG said:
for a cheap alternative I prefer dirty water. Just paint it on and let it dry.
Got any pics?

Some excellent advice, so far.

Not to be a smartalleck, but one of the techniques I use is to just leave the fig outside in the weather for a while. It will bleach out in the appropriate places.

I also like to position the figure in the kneeling and sitting poses. Jam the knees and butt in your 1/6 mud-of-choice (paint, etc). Letting it dry some before straightening will give that distended look.

Good luck.

Keep the ideers coming.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wow it seems like everybody has some good ideas here I'm gonna try all of them. speaking of bleaching I have seen a technique before where you apply small amounts of cleaning bleach to the surface to fade in controlled ways. So I may try that too, this has definitely given me lots of ideas for the fig I'm working on :)

Also are some of these things not pertinent? Not that I'm going to be playing with the figure but I'd like it to hold up to some normal wear and tear and not come off after all that work :)

·
Long-time listener
468 Posts
I'm still nervous about adding dirt to my figures, but I am experimenting with a technique for making the clothing fit better.

-Dress the figure in the base uniform. This includes tucking in pant legs into the boots, any undershirts, etc.

-Hold them under the bathtub faucet with medium-hot water for a few minutes until they are soaked through. (This may bring comments such as 'How adorable. You're giving your dolls a bath.' from loved ones, but ignore them. This works.)

-While still completely wet, position the clothing to better fit the figure. Pull jackets/shirts down or back to stretch, blouse pant legs, roll collars, etc.

-Place the figure in front of a fan to dry. I also blow dry the front on high for a minute or two.

-When it is completely dry, skim over the figure with a lighter (or match) to burn off any stray threads or fuzz. This also sets the creases and wrinkles a bit.

-Repeat.

I've done this process about 6 or 7 times so far with the Toy Soldier Vietnam Jungle Fatigues and the two figures I'm working on are starting to look decent.

I'll post more/better pics when TS Paul Longgrear is finally released!

Attachments

·
Long-time listener
468 Posts
All I can offer are these images from Toy Soldier.

It's not a great comparison, but you can see some differences around the collar, and the sleeves aren't as poofy.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts