One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought we could all reminisce and tell our stories of how our 1/6 journey began. To tell mine I need to let everyone know that I am 47 and I was a bit too young for the first run of traditional 12" Joe's. My story began with Star Wars and 3.75" Joe's when I was 8-13. Then I discovered comic books and then girls and put the hobby on hold. I was always in to military history though and war movies were always my favorites. After college, the GI Joe line came back as the Classic Collection. I picked up the D-Day Anniversary set right around the time that Saving Private Ryan came out. That led to some other Hasbro purchases and ultimately a search from some harder to find items. I called a toy dealer in town (Phoenix, AZ area Yellow Pages!) called 'Empire of Toys' (prob before their cease and desist letter, hehe). They said they had lots of Classic Collection Joe's but the guy on the phone mentioned a company called Dragon and their Action Figure line. I took an afternoon off work and headed up their store that week. Low and behold, the first Dragon figure I saw was Wolfgang. $40. The quality was amazing comparably to Hasbro and early 21st Century Toys, and it was a German WW2 figure with authentic insignia! Wow I thought. Shut up and take my money! I purchased immediately and asked them to hold me one of each of their reorders on Hans and Klaus and the upcoming Fritz. Now 661 figures later and 27 vehicles and counting, I am loving every minute of it.

What's your story?

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,890 Posts
I was young, naive, and needed the $.

OH, WAIT . . .

Wrong discussion group.

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Like Mordred, I started with the 3.75" Star Wars figures. At the beginning it was a fairly modest collection, but when I went to college and discovered collectibles stores and magazines, I ended up collecting every figure Kenner had made from Star Wars that I cared for (this was the mid-90s, so if used, they were quite affordable). Hasbro took over with their hideous Power of the Force line, but eventually graduated to some realistic and super-articulated figures at that scale, which renewed my interest in collecting. After looking at photos and reviews of Hot Toys and Sideshow figures once too often, I ended up getting myself HT's T-800 and Sideshow's Stormtrooper, and I haven't stopped collecting 1/6 scale figures, bodies, headsculpts, and accessories since.

·
Adeno's Fun Time
85 Posts
When I was a kid, I loved toys. I had those 3 or 4 inch tall GI Joes, Star Wars, and the DC Super Powers line. I even had Barbie and Ken! One day, I was introduced to video games via the Atari 2600 and the NES and that took my attention away from toys. So many years passed and it was finally the year 2014. Now a grown adult with some money to spend, I thought about revisiting my childhood love for toys. I was then surprised by how much the toy production technology has developed since the last time I viewed them! The sculpt, the paint, everything seemed like a whole different world! Everything was more accurate and realistic than the toys I had as a child when toys barely had any resemblance to the actors or characters they were supposed to portray. This made toys appealing to me once again!

After satisfying my desire to have some modern Godzilla toys, I started looking at the 1/6 scale stuff. My very first one was the Enterbay Elvis Presley. I thought he'd be lonely as the only foot tall toy I so I also bought Obama from DiD. Suddenly I learned about seamless toys and that led me to Phicen. To me, my discovery of Phicen was like a childhood wish come true! I've always wanted to have toys where joints didn't show so that I could have "little real humans". Someday, I hope to be able to "kit bash" stuff and make extra 1/6 scale characters from my collection. When I have more 1/6 stuff, I'll be able to use them to make little comics, just like what I do for the 6 inch toys.

Next week, my ZCWO Mr. Bean will arrive! I'm sure there will be lots of fun stories to be made with him.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I started with G.I. Joe in the 60s, but as time went on was able to get the Lone Ranger and Silver, the Six Million Dollar Man, the Mego Apes, Star Trek, and some super heroes, a 12” Silver Knight and Horse with removable armor ( my brother had the Gold Knight; don’t remember who made those). Many of those as a kid were finds my mom got at garage sales (we were pretty poor as my piece of .... father ran out on her and neglected to pay any kind of child support). As Christmas and birthday gifts when I was about 10 or so I was given all four members of KISS. That was the same time I had to start actually working to earn my own money (growing up on a farm labor laws weren’t really a factor in the 70s ;)) so I was able to start collecting smaller figs like the original Star Wars. The 80s were a time I didn’t collect anything, between military service and trying to live thru my drunken/drug-hazed 20s, I didn’t have money for frivolities. In the 90s I was really into all things McFarland Toys, the Aliens and Predators, and all the Image Comics characters. When Sideshow started pumping out Planet of the Apes and Bond 12” figures I found my way back to the 1/6 scale. Also got Ralphie and the Old Man and Steed and Mrs. Peel, but I was struggling to make ends meet at the time, and when Hot Toys announced their Planet of the Apes figures at a price I thought was outrageous, I walked away, for the most part. My obsession with all things mermaid didn’t stop me from collecting probably 50 or 60 different Disney Little Mermaid figures and Barbie mermaids (and I’m not ashamed to admit that.)
It wasn’t until I had enough disposable income and found out about the upcoming Avengers Black Widow and Selina Kyle by Hot Toys that I was sucked back in. Luckily finding forums like this one (and SSF) was I able to rediscover/discover the amazingly wide variety of manufacturers out there. And as Adeno mentioned, Phicen was an absolute mind-blower for me. I was reluctantly impressed with their plastic skeleton bodies, but their ss bodies are an engineering marvel. Hot Toys may be the reigning king of likenesses, but so far, imo, no one can beat TBL for base bodies. I never thought growing up as a kid we’d ever see the ultra-realistic seamless bodies that we have today, or that clothing that small could be tailored so well as to look completely realistic, or that a human head at 1/6 scale could actually look like a real person. To think that a company exists today that is helping me replace my 40 year old crappy Mego Trek figures with 1/6 scale replicas of the actual actors... it’s like being a kid all over again!

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Initially, boredom,

My interest in model aircraft was waning, then I saw some figure kits at an exhibition in London. I couldn't afford them at the time, but, when I could, I bought loads. Then, as my interest in them waned and my vendor ran off with my collection, DML and BBI were starting to hit big in my local store and the rest is history!

CHEERS!

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
A little bit older than you, we moved into a new neighborhood and one of the other kids had GI Joes.
I was fascinated. Oh the possibilities!
While I wouldn't say I "had it all" I did have a Helicopter, Mobile Support Vehicle and a Panther Airplane ( This disappeared mysteriously, I never knew what happened to it.)
Mom and Dad purchased MANY off brand "bags o' gear " and accessory kits.
At the height of The Six Million Dollar Man era, I got a brand new Mike Powers, Atomic Man.
I was once grounded for a month and it took 3 large garbage bags took secure everything ( minus vehicles )
Later I transitioned to Star Wars figures and played with them far too long ( by everyone else's standards )
It was at this time that I started building small dioramas.
I was clearly entrenched in "Nerdville, population 1"
I surrendered to "adulthood" one summer day, while playing with Luke and his X-wing.
The neighbor girl came over in a bikini and stood WAY to close.
In her snottiest voice she said " why do you play with little kid toys? You are SO immature! " and walked away.
I gave all my stuff to my younger brother that day.
Nothing ever materialized with the neighbor, though it turns out that was my fault. ( my parents never had "the talk", by the time I figured it out we had moved.)
I would not return to the hobby until 1998 while shipping for a gift at TRU.
I've been back ever since.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Well I had Action man and the 3 3/4" and some 12' Star Wars figures growing up, But I really got into this hobby from model making.

I have modelled mainly 120mm (1/16) figures for a long time now, really since I gave up building model railways in the late 80's early 90's. About 5-6 years ago that led to building 1/16 Radio Controlled tanks.

Going to 1/16 tank meets here in the UK also exposed me to 1/6 RC tanks. Whilst I don't have the interest in RC 1/6 (for me it is too big and cumbersome to move around) I did get interested in 1/6 military figures and more recently with the release of Rogue One, my childhood passion for Star Wars was reignited and of course I then delved into that in 1/6 scale too.

As well as the Star Wars collection I have I also build from the WWII period exclusively DAK figures and vehicles, and modern figures (SeALs, SAS, ASAS etc....). What really attracted me was the level of detail particularly in 1/6 weapons and equipment.

·
OSW Member
2,257 Posts
-
When I was a kid I had those little green army men although growing up on a farm and ranch I has mostly had toy cars (mostly Hot Wheels)trucks, tractors ect.
And a few years later drove the real ones. LOL (Stryker2011 I know what your talking about) It wasn't until the mid 90's when I was in in a local mall book store
I seen a Boris Vallejo calendar which led to fantasy art books which led to Mcfarlane Spawn 6 inch figure.(Twisted Fairy Tales, Biker chick) And a few years later
(Summer of 2004) when I was coming in for dinner from work (I had a really nice office a 950 Versatile) I stopped and picked up the mail where I found a junk
toy catalog. (Entertainment Earth) What's this another Toys R Us type catalog? And I almost threw it away until I spotted the M FOR MATURE READERS ONLY disclaimer
which peaked my curiosity, OMG very interesting catalog and on the last page I found Babes with Weapons (BBI CY GIRLS) and the rest is history.
Now looking back on the whole thing I really should have thrown away that catalog. LOL

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,785 Posts
well, I probably started with G.I. Joe, chap mei and the corps in 18th scale. At some point in the early 2000's a few of the TUS figures wound up being in my collection, and even the Kettenkrad. Over the years I wanted the Americas finest line, but without money, I never could get them. I really wasn't serious at all about this until after the rise of cobra, and at that around 2011. In 2010 ended up with a cobra commander from the 12 inch line as a birthday gift, and that led me to want some teammates. I had destro, a cobra trooper, and dusty. In mid 2011 when I decided to get a female, rather foolishly I got the triad Eva, and then somehow I found this forum, and all this madness. Since then my wallet has been rather emaciated, lol. fun times.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
My parents bought me the Original Hasbro SOTW Japanese Soldier for Christmas in the 60's, and I have been hooked ever since.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I had an Action Man when I was a boy but grew out of it. I suppose I regressed back into it when I bought some ACI Hoplites. :) Since then I have bought far too many figures and have no room to display them. My addiction is cured now as I have only bought two in the last eight months (or are the companies not producing them fast enough?).

·
Registered
799 Posts
I started with a few Action Man and the old GI Joe Frogman along with my other hobby: military miniature scales in 1/72 and 1/35.
So needless to say it was a natural transition to 1:6 military.

·
God of Thunder
350 Posts
Same as most....since I was a wee lad, I've always enjoyed toys. Had the first Star Wars figures....even still have that rare blue Snaggletooth! Always had sci-fi and alien toys, fantasy stuff.....had those alien Micronauts and Mego super heroes in the 70's. Always ended up losing the parts, especially the gloves for some reason. MOTU, Joes, I had to have it all. MASK, Bravestarr, Centurions. I was always into comics. Mostly DC at the young age. Marvel later when I wanted to be an artist. Then got into Spawn toys....then the Star Wars relaunch. Had to get all of those....hated those hunts, since by then the "scalpers" were the biggest issue. Got into Cy Girls and some 21st century items in the early 2000's and started getting a Sideshow figure here and there. Made lots of Jedi and Sith customs. Then SOTA's Street Fighter line got me, and I got into Marvel Legends because of it. Had to get all of those. Then DC Universe. Got back into 1/6th again, with Star Wars, LOTR and things here and there. Now it's mostly samurai/ninja customs, sci-fi and barbarian customs (inspired by Luis Royo or Frank Frazetta) and Phicen. And now I even sell them......always wanted to run a comic book store, but switched to toys which is what I enjoyed more. So I turned my passion into a business.....some say it can ruin what you love, so I hope that doesn't happen.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts