One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As so often, I was late to that party, but after coming across some youtube videos, I picked up a Tony Mei Superman cape and dared (took every ounce of bravery I have) to modify the Hot Toys Man of Steel Superman figure. I removed the HT cape, the outer collar, and the inner collar; placed the slightly modified outer collar back on, but lower, so that its lower edge almost reached the upper edge of the "S shield"; created little pleats in the Tony Mei cape with thin strips of Aleene's fabric fusion permanent fabric adhesive sheets, and attached it to the body with tiny nails.

Unlike the youtube tutorials (for example, HERE and HERE), I did not find it necessary to cut out parts of the outer collar's surface, just cut it open on the back so that it could be fitted lower over the chest. Looking at the photos I took, I realize the modified collar looks a little more uneven (it was a little uneven in the film) and even closer to the "S shield" than in hand. But anyway, below are three photos of the modified look.

I think it worked out ok, and is closer to the on-screen look: the collar is in the right position, and the cape does not reach quite as high up as it did before. Hope this is useful or interesting. Feel free to share your impressions, thoughts, or advice.

In case you don't have an image of the unmodified figure for comparison, I start with one from one of my Wonder Woman threads:

Unmodified HT Man of Steel Superman:

Modified HT Man of Steel Superman:

·
Registered
605 Posts
Why so big pictures? it's impossible to get the full body figure view.:think

:hat

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice job! CHEERS!
Thanks, Roger!

Why so big pictures? it's impossible to get the full body figure view.:think :hat
I don't know exactly what you mean, but I am sorry it is not showing correctly for you. This may depend on the device (or device type) and browser window you are using, or perhaps on the way in which the website is (not) working for you (it seems to throw different sets of challenges at different users). I can see all four images perfectly well on my laptop computer, and only the first three show the whole body.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
I did talk to Chop about pic sizes as his were gigantic. I reckon 640x480 or 480x640 is just right for forum posts and if you do something like 72px per inch they load in no time. That's the thing with different people using different devices and having different spec tech, what might look great and load instantly for you might not necessarily be the case for everyone.

CHEERS!

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
A truly worthwhile mod.
I feel it was even necessary.
The first one is the hardest.
As far as picture sizes, the look good to me.
I agree about different devices, but have this to say ( biased opinion ), if you're viewing the forum on a phone....stop.
:lol

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did talk to Chop about pic sizes as his were gigantic. I reckon 640x480 or 480x640 is just right for forum posts and if you do something like 72px per inch they load in no time. That's the thing with different people using different devices and having different spec tech, what might look great and load instantly for you might not necessarily be the case for everyone. CHEERS!
Do my photos load ok for you, Roger? I take them with my phone camera and they come out huge but with 72 dpi; I crop and resize (shrink) them to somewhere between 1.5 and 6 inches in width (depending on how many figures are in the photo and whether they are standing, lying, etc), but increase the resolution to 300 dpi (so that if you want to zoom in and look at a detail you can without being overwhelmed by pixelation). There are photos on this forum that take a long while to load for me; but mine do not -- at least in my experience. But the relevant comment was about what was displayed on the screen, not how long it took to load.

A truly worthwhile mod. I feel it was even necessary. The first one is the hardest. As far as picture sizes, the look good to me. I agree about different devices, but have this to say ( biased opinion ), if you're viewing the forum on a phone....stop. :lol
Thank you, Pontiacvan. I am not sure how often I would repeat it, but yes, it worked out ok and I think I will venture into improving products as needed. Agree on the photos.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
They're fine for me and my hardware is often up to the job. I have a monitor that displays 1366x768 as the max resolution, others may differ. Zips announcement threads are the main bones of contention. They take ages to load in the first place and if you want to skip to a reply it holds up scrolling to where you want to go. I guess it does depend on the device and its capabilities as to what others may experience.

CHEERS!

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They're fine for me and my hardware is often up to the job. I have a monitor that displays 1366x768 as the max resolution, others may differ. Zips announcement threads are the main bones of contention. They take ages to load in the first place and if you want to skip to a reply it holds up scrolling to where you want to go. I guess it does depend on the device and its capabilities as to what others may experience. CHEERS!
Thanks, glad my photos work for you. I agree, Zip's photos (and others in the same vein) take a long time for me too. If you want to skip ahead to just reading text and replying to it, press the X button on your browser to stop them from loading -- at least that works for me. Of course it helps seeing something, before commenting on it. ;) You probably know all this, in which case sorry for being Captain Obvious (this should have been my screen name).

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Agreed, the mod looks great. I'm not that fussed personally about the Screen-Accuracy aspect, or the nearness of the collar to the S-Shield (though I know it reflects hard work), but the aspect that really stands out to me is the pleats at the shoulders that are really a vast improvement. Firstly it just looks much better as 1/6, just by adding detail there. More importantly the effect is more regal, noble, heroic.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Thanks, glad my photos work for you. I agree, Zip's photos (and others in the same vein) take a long time for me too. If you want to skip ahead to just reading text and replying to it, press the X button on your browser to stop them from loading -- at least that works for me. Of course it helps seeing something, before commenting on it. ;) You probably know all this, in which case sorry for being Captain Obvious (this should have been my screen name).
Yeah, it's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. When I post stuff, if there's something that I want to draw your attention to, I take a pic of just that bit and zoom in on it so you can see it. I don't even keep originals of any pics I post once I've made cropped copies.

CHEERS!

·
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, it's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations. When I post stuff, if there's something that I want to draw your attention to, I take a pic of just that bit and zoom in on it so you can see it. I don't even keep originals of any pics I post once I've made cropped copies. CHEERS!
I have noticed that I have a subconscious aversion to cutting off any part of a body (human or collectible) when taking photos; I have to remember to zoom in on some specific detail when needed, and I often forget.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts