One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to add a couple more Hot Toys ANH Stormtroopers to my collection and the Sandtroopers seem to be the cheapest route so I wondered if the horrible weathering can be cleaned off or should I bite the bullet and buy the more expensive shiny white ones?

Trying to save money can really bit you in the ass so I thought I would ask here.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Not tried to take the weathering off, but are you aware that there are differences between a standard stormtrooper armour and Sandtrooper armour?

There are probably more differences, but from memory, The left knee is a different pattern, the shoulder straps are ribbed for a stormtrooper and plain for a sandtrooper, the grey cheek patches and the 2 on the back of the helmet are plain grey for the sandtrooper, and have black lines on the grey for a stormtrooper, and the sand troopers don't have the thermal grenade attached to the back of the belt that stormtroopers have.

It may well end up being cheaper to get stormtroopers than to try and alter Sandtroopers.

Hope this will be helpful

Paul

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
Hi JohnByng. Paul makes a good point. The chest armor, the knees, and the detailing of the helmet are all slightly different. Also, the Sideshow and Hot Toys Sandtrooper helmets (like their early Stormtrooper ones) were sculpted a little off (e.g., the space between the "eyes" and the "frown" was smaller than the space between the "frown" and the "mouth," although that should be reversed) and are not entirely screen-accurate. If you want to clean Sandtroopers, your best bet is to repaint them.
As a much more affordable alternative to what you propose, I think you should look into this: buy yourself the same number of Bandai's 1/6 scale (12") Stormtrooper kit and Hasbro's 12" Interactech Imperial Stormtrooper (Rogue One). This was discussed in an earlier thread HERE (see especially photos 2, 3, 4), and you were actually the first to respond to it. In short, build the Bandai Stromtrooper (which has excellent articulation), and use the Hasbro 12" Rogue One Interactech Stormtrooper helmet. How to mount the helmet on the Bandai body, you can see the thread I just linked above again. In my experience, the Bandai kit is about $60 (including shipping) on Ebay, while the Hasbro toys are now selling for $15 or less online or in stores (at least here in the US). That combination (for a total of $75 or so) is by far the most affordable and attractive that I think you can find in this scale.
And I seem to have resolved a minor issue with the Bandai Stormtrooper's look (other than the helmet, discussed above) -- I cut a disk of black foam (from action figure boxes), pierce it at the center, and insert it in-between the torso and the upper arm where they meet at the shoulder -- this way that joint looks more natural and less like the joint that it is.
Hope this helps.

·
2,105 Posts
PS - Although the concept was the same, I realize that the thread I linked did not feature the precise combination I am talking about. There I showed the Hasbro RO Interactech helmet on a hybrid Sideshow-Hot Toys Stormtrooper body, rather than the Bandai one. So here it is on the Bandai, where it currently resides. Once again (as in the linked thread above), I outfitted a standard inside neck connector with enough squishy mounting tape to attach the helmet on top of the body at the desired height and preserve the articulation.
Hope this helps.

·
2,105 Posts
Hi rogerbee -- thank you! I just thought of it several days ago, and outfitted all my hybrids with them. It does not hamper articulation at all, but depending on how it was squished, you might need to futz with it after re-posing. I am still experimenting with different thicknesses for the foam disks.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
If you reshaped them a little, would earpads off old walkman headphones work?

Good job you didn't link to my Stormie thread, that is a PB casualty, but, I really can't be bothered to go back and redo it.

CHEERS!

·
2,105 Posts
In principle, the foam from earpads off old walkmen headphones would be perfectly usable (obviously you want to trim them to size so that they fit within the width of the upper arm at the shoulder), but if I recall, they are far too thin. I think I just eyeballed it, but I've been using a thickness of about 5mm, and wondering if it should not be a bit thicker still. If you are not using the headphones anymore, by all means experiment. You can also string together multiple foam disks (1-4) if one is not thick enough, probably with the same effect.
PS I don't recall anything wrong with your original thread -- you introduced us to these Bandai Stormtroopers in the first place!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts