One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I got my second HT figure, a PCU Mt. OPS Sniper. Over all I like this guy a lot but, he is so damn fragile. My first HT was the Chopper Predator, he was also fragile, but I just put that down to me being ham fisted... I broke parts during assembly. Back to the PCU guy. I am being very careful with him yet still parts are breaking. I realize HT sells their sets as 1:6 model kits but damn...

My question: are HT products always this fragile?

·
Speed Thrills
3,997 Posts
Its not just Hot toys friend. Because of the size and detail given some pieces. I experienced similar difficulties.. I keep all figs not on display in Zip lock baggies because things are constantly falling off. In most cases I cant rember where it goes or how it goes on. The baggy keeps me from loosing them. This hobby does require a gentle and patient hand. I've learned the hard way to quit while ahead while pushing parts/clips and pulling belts/straps...

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya, but I'm only having this problem with my HT figures. I have BBi, DiD, Takara, Cy Girls, and a couple of Dragons. None of those have broken parts unless they have taken a fall off a tall shelf.

Last night I was posing my PCU guy (let's call him Dirk), he fell over backwards onto his pack, and slightly on his right side. That little impact snapped the barrel of his rifle and broke the two pegs that hold his pistol holster together. Easy to fix with a drop of glue but, I was still surprised at how easily they broke.

·
Banned
4,284 Posts
I never noticed that HT figures were fragile, at least not any more then figure/gear from other companies. As it was said above, all of them are fragile and at one point or another, I had problems with gear from pretty much every company. The trick not to force anything - if I need to pull webbing/straps tighter, it's done with tweezers and in two/three step process making sure that triglides won't be overstressed and etc. Same goes when fitting weapon in hands, if it feels like a tight fit - remove hand from the figure, carefully position it on the weapon and then put back on the figure along with "attached" rifle. And so on... But of course, when you figure falls, there is nothing you can do - and just because you see it lying on a backpack, it does not mean that weapon wasn't caught by something before figure finally came to stop in that position.

Alexei

·
Kitbash MacGyver
1,002 Posts
Like Alexei said, nothing you can do about shelf-divers. One piece of equipment I ALWAYS have on hand when assembling my figures (especially the pricey kind) is a good set of needle-nose pliers. At this point I've not had any bad luck with any of my HT figures, but with that being said I've been fortunate enough to come across threads that have had pointers on assembling a particular figure and what fragile parts to watch out for.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys I appreciate the input.

My question was more in regards to the cast plastic parts then to uniforms and webbing. The figure fell over backwards while I was working/ playing with him and that is when said parts broke. Not high diving off a shelf.

I have two HT figures, both have had broken cast plastic pieces that I have fixed.
I have seven DiD figures, none have broken or damaged parts (except the stupid lift dots, but I know how to deal with them now).
I have three Takara, and eight Cy Girl/ Cool Girl figures, no broken bits.
Couple of Sideshow - no issues
BBi - ditto
Dragon - same

This is what spawned my question about the fragility of Hot Toys figures. From your replies I'm going to assume that it was just my bad luck or clumsiness.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Kitbash MacGyver
1,002 Posts
Oddly enough on my end the bad luck has involved other brands and not HT...and like you said no shelf diving involved (my mistake for misreading your post). I'd say the most I ever had trouble with on a figure was my DML Panzercop...things coming unglued and/or breaking outright. a true test of parience that one.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I experienced the same problems. HT are little more fragile then any of my DID, TS, DML or BB. . All my HT parts broke not high diving off shelf, but during assembly. And I am very careful person when come to assembly.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No worries man. Funny, now that you mention the Panzer Cop... I did break one of the air hoses on my female Panzer Cop from Takara (and that was ham fisted mishandling).

·
Using 1/6th of my brain!
410 Posts
Some HT problems but not many

I have purchased dozens of brand new HT figures in a very short amount of time as I have become an enthusiast quite quickly. I bought six brand new USMC Snipers (Desert MARPAT version) and four (4) of the bodies arrived with broken shoulders. These were all purchased, un-opened from dealers and not collectors. I have managed to break two more of these figures myself! I have only found the actual figure "bodies" to be a problem and that seems confined to the USMC Sniper and exclusively at the shoulder (so far!).
I have replaced all of the defective bodies with new ones from my supply of separate "HT TrueType 38" bodies. This is the exact same body but the plastic seems stronger or less brittle. Maybe the quality of the plastic or the production temperatures/times of the "batches" has varied from batch to batch? I have had no problems with any of the small parts or accessories other than as a result of my own "ham-fisted" modeling skills. I remain a committed "HT" fan and don't think their figures are UNUSUALLY fragile.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good Duck said:
I experienced the same problems. HT are little more fragile then any of my DID, TS, DML or BB. . All my HT parts broke not high diving off shelf, but during assembly. And I am very careful person when come to assembly.
Now I don't feel so alone :X

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Well like my buddy LG would say when you buy guchi gear it tends to be more model than toy. I bought the same figure just for the HS and was very careful about stripping him and packing his gear away for resale. I found that rubber coupler on the inside of his neck post was deformed. Kinda makes you wonder about a $100+ figure do'nt it?
I guess I really need to do a tutorial on my magnet base stand. I have three kids that shake the whole house when they run through and I very seldom get shelf divers.
Paul

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very good points Paul... *sigh* now I'm even more worried about my Appleseed figures. Maybe I'll hand them over to a Swiss watch maker to assemble and pose for me. Then I'll lock them up behind glass.

·
Kitbash MacGyver
1,002 Posts
LOL KJ! I'm awaiting my Briarios preorder with a little nervousness. I think overall that HT is a great company with great product...but as some others have said if you can't pose these figures somewhat reasonably then we may as well buy a statue. Am awaiting more news from Jess on these otherwise unbelievably great looking figures.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I do really like the HT Mt. OPS sniper's body and gear. The pack is a work of art. I'm finding this true type body to be one of the best I've worked with.

I was over at good stuff to go earlier, they are selling both sets loose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts