One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
The new world order....
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This first one is certainly the best one (well so far at least, isn't there another Pred movie coming along?).

The arrival of Predator 1 and Dutch is certainly is one of the bigger events on the 2009 calender for many 1/6 collectors; In fact I took half a day off work to collect the goods and go home early (before the wife gets home, ha!).

Packaging - the exterior plastic sleeve imitates the Predator's light-bending camo, and I for one am glad they got rid of the over-sized box of the previous Predators. This box is more storage friendly and is made possible because the Predator comes assembled, which I think is a bonus, unless of course you enjoy spending an half hour squeezing in the body net.

Once opened, the Predator, with his legs slightly spread, stares up at you with a menacing look, he looks rather pissed. You don't wanna piss him off even more so you quickly liberate him from his cradle. You scramble to remove the two plastics covers and untwist the twisties, you know the drill. Once free, you can appreciate the awesomeness of this figure.

The Figure - One of my problems with the previous Predators is their bodies, they really need the stand or be resting against something. Predator 1 on the other hand stands a lot better and don't require the stand. The critical knees and ankles are fairly tight and thus are good for poses. The more I play with it the more I realize the improvement HT made since their previous Predator body. It was a challenge posing the previous Predators, but this one isn't and its actually fun. The HS is done with great detail as expected. Overall, there's a gloss to the head to give a wet/slimey appearance.The eyes look great, and I just love the fangs on the mandibles. The mask fits tightly to the head.

The plasma cannon has good vertical articulation, horizontal articulation is limited. The wrist blades are extendable, no surprises here. The hair-like appendages are soft rubber, just like before.

He comes with 5 hands - pair of fists, pair of open hands and an extra right hand to grip the skull/spinal column; and two sets of mandibles - closed for calm and composed, and open for 'I wanna f**k some sh*t up'.

The targeting laser LED needs to be connected, the wire attached to the mask hooks up to the back armor (white socket) where the switch and batteries (2 button-size cells) are located. Instructions are provided to illustrate how to connect. Besides trying it out for the first time, I suggest you unplug the LED and just hide the wire behind the appendages because the plugging/unplugging process requires a bit of careful effort, you don't have to take off the head, but it's just added inconvenience when putting on/off the mask.

Accessories - There isn't much, as the first Predator, he isn't as loaded as the others - no spear, whips, shurikens; just the bare essentials such as the first-aid kit which opens up, but the tools are molded in and don't come out. There is of course the lovely skull/spinal column trophy; and the stand, which is a forest with a couple of ferns, rocks, a tree and a puddle of water. With all the stuff that's on it, the stand is fairly heavy and good for any military woodland figure.

The cons - the nets can come loose, especially when you're gripping the arm to switch the left hand. Also on very close inspection, a few of paint spots on the head seem to be a unevenly painted, where one half is lighter than the other. These aren't noticable from a distance but you may see them if you go up close. Only a few are like that and since these spots are small, it's not a major problem. Otherwise it's hard to find any other faults so far. I haven;t had time to pop in the Predator movie DVD to check for accuracies. But something I do wanna check those bullet holes.

As many of you may already know, the Sideshow exclusive features an additional clean non-battle damaged mask. Admittedly I would prefer that over this damaged version but I wasn't prepared to pay at least HK$900 (US$115) more for an extra bloody mask regardless of how 'exclusive' it is. I don't know how much you people in the US, Europe or elsewhere would have to pay for the exclusive.

From the feedback here, apparently many already have preorders, good choice gentlemen; for those on the fence, the answer is yes. Even if you're not into the whole Predator franchise, this character is one of the most iconic Hollywood creations of all time, and it spawned an entire subculture/cult/franchise. Displaying this Predator 1 without the mask and with mandibles wide open is a sure way to impress family, friends, co-workers, chicks, etc.

Final word - Hot Toys, if you;re reading this, congrats on a fine figure and hurry the hell up with Blain Cooper (Jesse Ventura).

·
ThreeA Junky
3,602 Posts
I'm waiting on a guy in china to get them in stock then I might order two if anyone in UK wants to go halves cost price? Means you can get em cheaper (got dutch and billy for £200 delivered off the same bloke).

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Thanks for the offer J, but already pre-ordered. Good price with the Dutch and Billy, got my Arnie few days ago and pretty amazed with Yulli's sculpt.

Ok back to topic.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Sorry to burst anyone's bubble here, but, I think that looks awful. The HS is way off, the jaws look horrible with gaps in all the wrong places and the paint ops are a joke. There, I said it. HT dropped the ball bigtime on this.

The head looks more like a poor relation of the heads for AVP than it does Stan Winston's masterpiece. For what you pay you want a screen accurate replica of Kevin Peter Hall's costume and not some poorly thrown together fancy dress costume. I had high expectations for this and HT dashed them, big time.

Drop the rose tinted glasses and have a good look, Dutch could kill this guy by laughing at it

CHEERS!

PS (Even after all this time, the Billiken kit remains the Daddy!)

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
The only problem that I see is the height issue.
No reason for that.
Beyond that its fine.

Since its pretty close to the Elder in style and armor perhaps that body could be utilized.

·
Eagle Eye Joe
2,640 Posts
I'm a little peeved about the height. For some reason I had it in my mind that he would be taller than ALL of the Preds, since he was the first to grace the silver screen. But I'm still stoked as hell that I got the exclusive version coming soon, but I wish he was taller.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts