One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep loving Hot Toys. Probably "beating a dead horse" with this post/point but so many of you guys gripe about this companies products that occasionally it's worth injecting the positive perpective. I'm not saying they are perfect or best at everything. Nor am I dismissing or trivializing anyone's concerns or criticisms. But for me the most important element of (or, my favorite thing about) 1/6 scale collecting and customizing is authenticity and accuracy of human likeness. Since HTs does such phenomenal work on head sculpts, I forgive their faults and continue building with their products. Of course, it also means spending the $$$$ for these items (which is my biggest negative about this company). However, before I started collecting them, I used to hire repaint artist to customize randon head sculpts and transform them into the person or character I wanted. And (main point) the money I spent on repaints was greater than what I spend on a HTs figure. Even the best repaint artists couldn't create a head sculpt with as much detailed precision of a person's genuine appearance as does Hot Toys.

Attachments

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as repaints go, I have never, ever seen anyone do such fine work as Noel Cruz. His repaints are scarily, beautifully lifelike. Check out his website: ::||[url]www.ncruz.com::|| Bringing UnMasked Art to LIFE[/url]
I agree with you about this. But he is very picky about what he repaints (if he isn't a fan of person /character he won't do it), and his prices are for the Super rich only. All his right. Have you ever hired him for a commission? If yes, how long was the wait time?

·
Registered
10 Posts
No, I've only ever seen his work online. I do know he's picky about his subjects and has done a ton of repaints of Farrah Fawcett and Lindsay Wagner, so I'm assuming he mostly does what he personally chooses, and then sells them on eBay. And you are so right about the prices--he's way, way out of my league. But you never know about others who post here, some may be able to afford him. As for me, I enjoy just looking at the photos of his work!

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Laurie Everton also does a fantastic job with repainting. She's not (I'm assuming) as famous as Mr. Cruz, but she is equally as talented and her work has earned her appearances on both "The Ellen Show" and "Jimmy Kimmel Live". Like Cruz, she mostly has experience with Mattel and Tonner heads. And can also be quite picky about what/who she will paint. However, she is dramatically less expensive to hire for a commission. Definitely worth googling if you're interested in custom repaints.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts