One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week started with Batman...now it's time to hit up Superman, with a look at the Hot Toys Man of Steel release of the big guy himself. While this figure is a tad light in the accessories department, he has an amazing costume. You can find the review at the usual:

http://www.mwctoys.com

And don't forget - only a few days left to vote in the People's Picks!

Michael
MWC

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Very fine review. Thank you.

I really like this figure, but I'm a sucker for a Supes figure anyway.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Great review. As always.

A couple of points:

1. Someone mentioned the "S" is sitting too low on the costume. And he's absolutely right! Now it's a sticking point for me!

2. I see you've amended your original review when you said there are two versions of the set. I was told every box will have that "special edition" Command Key, a nice addition for the fans to commemorate HT's 200th figure for the MMS line.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
I really don't think the proper 1/6 scale material exists to make a version of that suit......not without tearing or decomposing or what have you, I think in this case HT is limited by the materials they have to play with.

There is no way these rubber skin-tight suits go the distance though......I fully expect to see split elbows and retracting edges in a few years time...

·
Watching
894 Posts
Whoa Mike, sorry, but you stated he will fit in with other 1/6 figures just fine. That is just untrue. Have you stood him next to the DX12 Batman? He is almost an inch taller. Did you compare him against any other figures at all?

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,928 Posts
There is a clone head that can be found on eBay.

Maybe there will be a clone outfit with the proper revisions that will be available soon on eBay so we can use a clone head, clone outfit, and a muscular clone body and have a comparable Superman figure for less than what HT is charging.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Yeah, good idea! Let's give money to some anonymous knockoff company that piggybacks on the hard work (not to mention investment of resources) of another company! Just so we can get what we want for less money! Who cares that the knockoff company can charge less, given that it didn't have to spend any capital resources to develop the figure! After all, these are just chunks of plastic, right?

Thanks for the review, Mr. Crawford.

·
Stop-Motion Animator
3,080 Posts
Yeah, good idea! Let's give money to some anonymous knockoff company that piggybacks on the hard work (not to mention investment of resources) of another company! Just so we can get what we want for less money! Who cares that the knockoff company can charge less, given that it didn't have to spend any capital resources to develop the figure! After all, these are just chunks of plastic, right?

:agree 100%

·
Registered
5,139 Posts
I don't care if he is taller than other 1/6 figures (yes I know he wasn't that tall in the movie) but he is Superman so I don't care. I am glad that I pre-ordered this figure and cannot wait to put this bad boy in my collection. Henry Cavill in my opion is the best Superman to date loved the guy as superman. I can hardly wait for Hot Toys to do The Ben Affleck version of Batman!!!! and yes I will buy the new version of supes when the new movie come out. Just for my money you can't beat Superman, Batman and Wonder-woman (you know Hot Toys will eventually do a version of her)

·
Registered
140 Posts
This is a great looking figure!

But I'm also having a hard time with his height. For some reason I could accept Hulks towering height, but since I planned to put Sups next to Bats, I'm on the fence now whether to keep him or sell him and wait for the next version (if that happens).
Lots of speculation on the Freaks board as to why he is too tall - pretty funny.

Agreed he will look great displayed by himself, but I am sure many of us want to start a JL or at least have the duo standing next to each other.

Other than the height, looks good to me!

·
Registered
5,665 Posts

I would totally agree with the above as a matter of general principle. But in the case where someone may have some concerns with the HT version being too tall (or in the case of the prototype it looked too beefy, though it seems they may have corrected that), or other accuracy concerns like the placement of the S symbol -- maybe it's a bit harder to get on one's high horse and tell someone who's going to bash/correct the figure anyway how he should be required to start from a full ticket HT purchase and then pay for the upgrades.

And if the "anonymous knockoff company" isn't actually cloning HT parts but making their own work, though admittedly not paying a licensing fee, that factors into the equation also. I respect copyright totally, but maybe occasionally it isn't bad for HT to feel like they don't own the game - especially when they get something wrong.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Is the problem he's too TALL or too BIG.....??

Sideshow released that Cannibal King Jack Sparrow figure and it towered over every other figure.....

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Is the problem he's too TALL or too BIG.....??

Sideshow released that Cannibal King Jack Sparrow figure and it towered over every other figure.....
Michael's reviews generally have one or two comparison pics with other figs (which are sometimes the coolest part) but unfortunately not this time. Michael does have the LifeSizer though, so you can compare his size with any other fig you hold up against your computer monitor after calibrating.

Man of Steel does seem freakishly tall - to the point where if I had one stripped, I'd like to try him with the DC Direct Superman and Clark Kent outfits meant for 13", which would still be a bit big but might be close enough.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts