One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all around!
I am very happy about this page, and i am the joung artist, but at this hobby i am recently. I am interested in figures, because that can help to study lights and shadows for my projects, . And i am looking for good anatomical figure in the dinamic position for that. Marx horse of course for me do not fit, because too stiff and boring pose and horse expresion. And i am very suprised that in nowadays there are so much problems anybody to make the normal horse. I do not understand why some manufacturers are making realy misshapen horses. Dont they see, that in the figures are wrong? Example Kumik horses - they looks like the horses leg is broken , that pose i never have seen in nature with helty horses, that is having the kumik horse.Kumik 1 6 Scale White Horse AC 6 Fit for 12" Action Figure | eBay Horses price is good, and I will bought, if that will be anatomical correct horse. But i am sad about that it is the parody about horse. Three kindom series horse is better, but also problems with legs, unnatural coffin bones, stiff muscles anatomy and problems with nose, that looks far away from nature. 303 Toys - Three Kingdom Series - 101 - Red War Horse - The Dragon Vault The Asmus horses head is the best compared with previous horses, but also there is something needed to do the the nostrils more natural. And problems is also with in the

part of the compound sizes. It will be nice if Asmus will make the static horse in the dinamic pose. Of course the best I like the
Luis horses, He understand anatomy, and do the things proffesional and his horses looks natural. There it can be seen, that he know what he is doing and love his work. But I cant afford one from his artworks.​
What you are thinking about these anatomical problems in the horses figures? :welcomeAre there somebody that also like me dreaming about normal horse figure?

· Resisting Evil
5,799 Posts
You may not know that Dragon Models made a horse, several in fact (all the same, just different colours).......Hanoverian breed, large horse, but I think it captures the best overall horse characteristics......although some think it's too big....and some do not like the articulated legs.....

Attachments

· Captain Eyestrain
1,205 Posts
Problems with horse anatomy probably reflect the training ( or lack of it ) of those who make the patterns for the models. Most of the Chinese-made ones , which I suppose is all of them apart from the Marx , seem to have been designed by someone who has never seen a real horse. They do somewhat resemble horses in traditional art... but only somewhat.
One might, if mischievous , remark that the human anatomy in many1/6th bodies isn't up to much either . It has got better recently, but computer game heroes and cartoons seem to have more influence that reality.

· wave man TDY staff
41,730 Posts

· Registered
746 Posts

· Registered
4,656 Posts
I love the horse threads
....very surprised that in nowadays there are so much problems anybody to make the normal horse.
agreed.... manufacturers can churn out the perfect female form in 1/6, articulated and seamless miniature goddesses, but they can't quite make a horse that looks like a horse. There's just not a market for it, is that the reason?

*******, thanks for that OSW link, I'd not seen that thread yet.
the Asmus horse for $135 plus shipping? gosh, Asmus, it doesn't look that good, I found a resin model at a flea market for 40 bucks and it's very, very nice now that I cut the base off of it.

· Captain Eyestrain
1,205 Posts
To be fair, the Dragon large horse does look more like a horse than most others available, but the articulations then rather destroy the effect. Nohuanda's horse are entirely outside this discussion since they are handmade works of art rather than commercial items
It just needs the commercial commitment to do the job well, and that's an expensive commitment, since making a mould for an injection-moulded horse is not cheap, even after paying a competent sculptor to make the original. Which is presumably why we still see the fifty-year old Thunderbolt still being made today , along with the rather weird ActionMan horse.
Neither is satisfactory, since they can only be made useable with a lot of work.

All we need is a simple standing " European "( by which I mean a classic 19c cavalry horse which covers most applications ) horse about 15.5/16 hands, and if it was cast hollow and in hard plastic it would be easily convertible.
Such an animal would open up the whole realm of cavalry figures to people who can't otherwise enter .

· Registered
416 Posts
I am of the molded with NO articulation in the legs crowd on this one. A human form can be covered up with clothes to hide the joints where as the horse cannot in most cases. The Dragon Horse is large but the features are OK, I myself really like the looks of the old Marx but they are clearly a little small so....... Power Team are better size wise but the sculpting is not as good and so on and so on and so on. Still waiting on a really good sculpted and affordable horse to hit the market until then we make do with what is available.

Jeff (Geppetto)

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Problems with horse anatomy probably reflect the training ( or lack of it ) of those who make the patterns for the models. Most of the Chinese-made ones , which I suppose is all of them apart from the Marx , seem to have been designed by someone who has never seen a real horse. They do somewhat resemble horses in traditional art... but only somewhat.
One might, if mischievous , remark that the human anatomy in many1/6th bodies isn't up to much either . It has got better recently, but computer game heroes and cartoons seem to have more influence that reality.
Thats true, about human anatomy, but i am very happy about the great heads sculptures, and the PHICEN bodys also are great. But with mens bodys there are problems ...

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
When it comes to serious horses, segan, here's some work by the resident horse genius nohuanda - http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...cussion/624050-horses-american-civil-war.html - you can search his other threads for more.

Tony Barton knows of which he speaks, he's a stickler for authenticity, and delivers the goods. Her is his horse work - http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...sion/633573-new-horse-sir-john-gets-ride.html
Yes, I very love nohuanda art. :bravoBut i am afraid, that even if i can get the cheepest horse model for finishing by myself, the shipping can be very costly to Europe. I was written to him, but at the moment no answers. Tony Barton art project is very nice, i am thinking maybe to try someday to sculpt also horse by my own. Do you know this wandeful project https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/414018124/canine-anatomy-sculpture/posts , autor of this are thinking to make also the horse anatomy sculpt, it will be beautiful if that will be in size 1/6, that can be the great help for us, if wanted to do horse figures, because the correct understanding about muscles will help to do nature looking figures anatomy.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.