One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Horch 108 - First Images

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

My latest vehicle. Mostly a repaint from the original DAK yellow vehicle by Taowan to a Panzer Grey version.
Initially I had planned to do a DAK Horch with Flak38 on top, but decided against it.
Since I had to paint the interior also, once I removed the seats I decided to replace with a more permanent alternative. The stock cushins are very nice, but the vinyl material of the cushions seemed very fragile and was starting to deteriorate, so I removed them and replaced with pieces made from Aves Apoxie.
The figure used is my old 251 driver. I eventually have to make a large group of 1941-42 Panzergrenadiers and this driver will get a small adjustment, as I know know that the Y straps with the stiching re-enforcements is not accurate for the period.
I want to thank Jaime Fernandez (Montañes) for urging me to do the repaint, and to Alfonso(Viaad) for the MG ammo box castings that are part of the items(tarps, nets and a grenade case) that fill the rear.

Here with the driver to add scale to the vehicle. It is a relatively large vehicle…

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hello Egon

That is a sweet looking Horch and going with the PZ grey is a solid choice. I wanted to get one of these vehicles myself and grey would have been my pick as well. I am also of the mind that sculpted seat cushions look very nice if they get a good paint job and you nailed them.

Jeff (Geppetto):thumb

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
That is one good-looking car. And yeah, the weathering is perfect too - all it needs is a crew really.

If these would be a lot cheaper I would buy one immediately, but Taowan and cheap prices, well... oil and water don't mix.

·
Registered
743 Posts
That is one good-looking car. And yeah, the weathering is perfect too - all it needs is a crew really.

If these would be a lot cheaper I would buy one immediately, but Taowan and cheap prices, well... oil and water don't mix.
For a metal vehicle with this level of detail you won't find anything cheaper than Taowan. Look at some of the Metalbox vehicles, they cost even more.

If Dragon made this vehicle in plastic it would still be over $200.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
That is a beautiful vehicle, and I agree the gray scheme looks excellent. One of my favorite WW2 softskin vehicles, but then again, I also favor the Italian Sahariana recon car , and the Ford CMP Quad Gun Tractor.

·
das sage ich nicht!
1,424 Posts
a great looking vehicle! but wheres the crew? i mean easily there should be 5 guys!
I think Ed is just highlighting the vehicle here with the driver just to compare scale!
usually he will post a separate thread with the complete crew.

Great job Ed, never realised it was so big! always love seeing your vehicles and your garden! thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
As Von Luger mentions, these are just the basic images of the vehicle. Now this vehicle becomes part of the motor pool and is available to tow light guns, carry wounded soldiers off the field, or as a ride at the front of a column with officers and other command group troops. If it were a tank, the vehicle would have a vehicle specific crew, but for bikes, Blitzes, Kubels, Schwimms etc, they are just available to be used as the situation presents itself.
I can also change the plates to SS or LW for more flexibility. For the same reason I avoid tactical and divisional insignia.

This vehicle's only draw back, is its weight. Not sure how much it weighs, but it is a handful!! I would say around 30 pounds.
If Dragon were to make a similar vehicle, I would guess it would be around $400-500 for a built model and around $250 for a kit. Taowan's was around $650. If Mardon Callanta made one(he does not) it would be at a similar price. The Horch is a big truck! The wheels are large and heavy and there are six of them.
I'm not saying these vehicles are cheap, but look at 1/16 armour kits. A good 1/16 kit by Tamiya is around $400 without all the bells whistles(static no sound).

Thanks for the possitive feedback!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts