One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
What a neat idea!!

Sooooooooo simple too. I'm certain I've got the materials around to make the box. I'd just need the lights.

What sort of bulbs would anyone recommend!? Ordinary, halogen or energy saving!? What's the best wattage?

CHEERS!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
i use the energy saving ones....the swirly looking ones....lol...not sure of the watts...but they arent too high...maybe 60 at most....they give off pretty good light for this..at least for me...
it is pretty easy to make and i keep wanting to update mine and kind of open it up more bigger stuff...more like a photo shoot area in real life....you know what i mean? anywho...make one and take pics and share with us...good luck

im not sure if i like the blue BG or not..lol..makes my ST look yellow...may have to mess around with my settings a bit..what do you guys think?

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Ah, great,

I have one of those bulbs in my room, you get sharper shadows with those.

I'll have to look into setting one up one day.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
you can also brighten it up with your basic windows photo viewer(depending on which win version you have)....in wn7, its windows live photo gallery and click on edit..it opens a new window, click on the pic that you want...opens..then click on exposure and mess around with the settings..it's pretty cool and helps a lot if you have issues with your camera settings(which i do, still...) so i just use the windows program...lol...

btw, great start ryan..cant wait to see more of your stuff up close and done in the box...brings them out and shows them off even better...also, unless you need the extra length, id cut your box off about where you have the split in the white paper...of course..that may mean you have to redo the whole thing..but in the long run, that may be ok(if it's shorter)....you'll be able to get closer to your subject...just some thoughts..im in no way an expert on this..just some ideas/suggestions for ya...

just a basic pic

with a few different tweaks on the windows program..and my background really is blue....lol...

·
Proudly Banned by OSS
7,357 Posts
Eh, I rock Photoshop Elements 9 (patches and such.) I usually like to go all-natural (one major exception), but here's a decent correction.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
This is one inspiring thread,

You do wonder how many see it though as most of us head straight for the discussions bit.

One day I'll give one a go for sure

CHEERS!

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
What sort of bulbs would anyone recommend!? Ordinary, halogen or energy saving!? What's the best wattage?
I'm using 100W equivalent daylight compact fluorescent bulbs (the twistys/CFLs/energy saving). Normal CFLs will give your photos a pretty strong orange cast and I think the daylight CFLs have better color fidelity. The 100W equivalents (23-26W actual energy usage) are bright enough to shoot handheld the way I want/need to. The extremely short version is that Brighter == Better because you can always reduce the amount of light hitting your subject (pulling the lamps further away from the box, covering them with some more opaque material, turning some lights off), but if you've got all 3 lights on and still aren't getting enough light, you're stuck. I could start spouting off about ISO and aperture settings, but I'll hold off until I actually write that post and take some demo photos so you can see what the practical effects are, or someone says they want to hear it.

I'd avoid halogen or regular incandescent bulbs only because the 100W equivalents will get VERY hot and that'll make your figs all sweaty and uncomfortable during long shoots :). In all seriousness, I'd be concerned about setting things on fire with either type, although you can definitely use either if you're careful. But the daylight CFLs give you just as good results and you save on your electric bill. Not much to lose other than a bit of upfront expense that will pay itself back pretty fast over the lifetime of the bulb.

Liking the results I'm seeing from the alternate posterboard and the new lightbox, too!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
20 bucks tops...for all the parts...box - free at walmart or store....pffft...dont pay for one...
posterboard...a buck usually for the nicer stuff....find some cheap lamps on sale..5 bucks each for 3..plus if you catch the good deals at your home remodeling store..you can get some nice cheap priced ones...dont know about where you live, but at home depot, they have a 4 pack of the bulbs for like 3 bucks...perfect for this...lol....so really it's pretty cheap to actually do...at least in this capacity..lol...

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
you should ask the mods to move it to the 1/6th section..it does deal with 1/6th figures..more or less..may get some more action...
I dunno, I think it's OK where it is. If anything, the dedicated photography threads over on the main board should be over here :).

Thanks for the advice,

When I can stop buying figures I'll try and get together parts for this.
As spiderrogue mentioned, it's really cheap to knock one of these things together. It took a lot longer to get the energy to get off by butt to do it than it did to get the stuff for it, and I think I spent more on the lamps than on everything else put together (only because I swung from being picky to impatient, so I went from buying nothing for a long time ("it's close but not quite") to buying all 3 in one swoop ("hell with it!")). Once I was done, I had a major, "Why didn't I do this sooner?" moment.

Now all I need to do is get the energy to get off my butt to make a bigger one...:p.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
Thanks guys,

My main problem is having somewhere to stand everything, when I work that out I'll start thinking about it.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I can't tell you how often I've looked at this thread :(

I spend an awful lot of time on my 'bashes and I feel I've improved a lot since I started this hobby a year or so ago but my photography skills still suck ballz!

I've tried various (decent) cameras but the light in my house really is not conducive to good quality photographs.

It's pretty soul destroying to be honest as a big part of this hobby in my opinion is showing and sharing your work and when I spend so much time putting my 'bashes together and my only audience is my girlfriend and new born baby, who both could not give a flying XXXX, I really need to get sorted with a light box of some sort.

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
To quote Ahnuld: "Do it. DO IT!!!" :)

Seriously, knocking together a lightbox is the easiest, fastest way to get better photos no matter what camera you're using. Think of light as the basic raw material for photography -- the better and more consistent your light is, the better your photos will turn out. Right after getting a pair of good serger's tweezers for modern MOLLE bashes, the lightbox was definitely the biggest "really should have done this sooner" additions to my 1/6 scale toolbox.

That being said, I think your photos show off your (excellent) work just fine now :).

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Finally started in on my new, larger lightbox:

The bigger box bows slightly on the floor, so I've got a hunk of foam core I'm going to put down as a more level base. Then it's backdrops (which I'm going to use cloth for this time instead of posterboard) and finally a way to secure that top light so it's not resting on the box itself (and will give better light from that angle). The box is big enough that I might start playing around with reflectors to see how they work rather than the 3 direct (if diffused) lights.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts