One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great post

Also changing the bulb or fabric color will give you different effects. and changing the background will help enhance your photos .

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Experimented with a new black background for the OSW Kitbash Contest and discovered that I'll need to underexpose the shots a bit for them to come out well. These are probably the best shots I got in the whole session, and I think these are even straight from the camera, no modifications (as always, click to enlarge):

However, most of them came out like this:

Or like this:

Yuck. Gotta spend some more time tweaking the settings and seeing what happens. I could salvage some of them (enough to submit something, anyway), but I'm really not very happy with them. One of the better ones:

The good news is that I figured out how to do that, because drastically underexposing with only 1 light source produced this photo:

which isn't completely awful and is almost what I was aiming for.

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks! Forgot to post my first fake night vision shot:

Done by lighting with just one 60W green CFL from the top, on the highest ISO setting the camera had. I actually wanted more grain and noise than the camera produced, so I tweaked some contrast settings and added some noise manually through Photoshop.

Still not where I want it to be, but it's a start. I want to try it again with a black background. Also had a few shots with a dark background that came out much better after I manually tweaked the camera settings, but then my camera ate a bunch of photos on the card. Lost about 2 hours worth of work :grrr.

·
Registered
30 Posts
you guys are awesome!! i can't wait to put together a lightbox and start shooting. i really appreciate all the info in this thread.

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Getting a little better at shooting with the black background:

Helps if the figure(s) have some color in them, though:

The trick is definitely lowering the exposure. The big, dark background makes the camera think it's looking at a very dark subject, so it tends to go for longer exposures and wider apertures. I've been using the light meter as a starting guide and then switching the camera to manual and fooling with settings until I get something that looks kind of decent. Still a bit of trial and error to get a good photo out of it, though -- I took 5 times as many photos of the Diamondbacks (all black uniforms + black bodysuit for the Baroness + black background = one insanely over-exposed shot on the first try) as what ended up looking decent enough for the Flickr album.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
speaking of light boxes..has anyone done one without the box? like just used the lights and then screens or something with the fabric?? that way, you're not restricted by the size of the box and can pretty much do any sizes....just wondering..i think that would be the next step...

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
have you tried using other colors...like the neon ones?...pink or green? or maybe something else..like blue...just wondering...
Are you talking about the lights or the backdrop? I have played around a bit with the red and green CFL bulbs that seem to becoming more common in stores these days:

Don't see any reason why you couldn't use alternate colored backdrops as well, though you might need to experiment to see how much adjustment you'd need to make for exposures based on how they reflect/absorb light. The thought had crossed my mind to get something that's as close to the specific green that they use for green-screening in movies so I could do photo composites on my own. If there's matching paints available, that could also be used to paint stands or other supporting materials to make it easier to erase them after the fact. Tried it already with some photos and a black background:

...but the black stand on the bottom photo was just too hard to erase without screwing up the rest of the photo.

Haven't had much time to investigate a green-screen setup, though.

speaking of light boxes..has anyone done one without the box? like just used the lights and then screens or something with the fabric?? that way, you're not restricted by the size of the box and can pretty much do any sizes....just wondering..i think that would be the next step...
This thought has occurred to me as well. I think one reason why you cover the sides of the lightbox even though the holes cut in them make them unsuitable backdrops is to make them act like reflectors, so light coming from the opposite side bounces back onto the subject. That just helps get good, even light across the entire subject in the box. If you omit the box and use lamps and a backdrop, I think you'd probably want to set up reflectors or something to do the same thing or you'll get harsher lighting that won't look as nice. It's why photographers prefer shooting outdoors on overcast days or at the dawn/dusk hours rather than shooting in bright sunlight. Cloud cover or the atmosphere at those points act as natural light diffusers. This is also why I avoid shooting with flash whenever possible, since it's just a single, strong light source that often makes the subject look awful.

The idea I had was to set up 2 smaller boxes that are inverted from the design above: the lamps and diffusing fabric go on the INSIDE, while the outside gets the semi-reflective material. Then hang a larger backdrop (probably cloth since it can drape better than paper material), put one smaller box on each side, and hang the top light with a second light diffuser over it. Again, though -- for me, it's a time thing and also one that I had much need for yet. Space is also a consideration -- I'm not sure I could put my top-light over a setup like that without building some kind of larger frame around it.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
i found a nice light blue posterboard that id love to try out...have you done other colors, besides black paper yet? whites good..but a nice color would be better maybe..lol.. and since im really wanting to redo my box here soon, figured that it would be a good time to try out some new things...

·
Registered
1 Posts
õîäèòå ëè âû ê

ñêîëüêî ñòîèò â âàøåì áàññåéíå àáîíåìåíò íà ìåñÿö? è êàê ÷àñòî âû òàì ïëàâàåòå?

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
i found a nice light blue posterboard that id love to try out...have you done other colors, besides black paper yet? whites good..but a nice color would be better maybe..lol.. and since im really wanting to redo my box here soon, figured that it would be a good time to try out some new things...
Nah, not yet. Before I do it, I'll probably just make that bigger one and will pop for a few bits of cloth instead of posterboard. I think it'll make it easier to swap backgrounds out.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts