One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015) - IMDb

Those talentless Hollywood rump-wranglers are going to once again show that imagination has left the building by once again rehashing a favorite TV show: The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Every time these unimaginative reboots comes along I avoid them like the plague. They will never be as good as the original series, so why do they bother? I'm so sick of Hollywood having to remake everything, it just proves that all creativity in that industry is dead. So... it will have better effects, and bigger explosions... so what?! They spend so much time trying to appeal to the brain-dead video-game generation, that practically every movie that comes out now has little to no plot, mediocre acting, and too much CGI effects. Dammit! Stop the insanity!

Whew... that was exhausting. Rant over.

·
Registered
7,944 Posts
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (2015) - IMDb

Those talentless Hollywood rump-wranglers are going to once again show that imagination has left the building by once again rehashing a favorite TV show: The Man from U.N.C.L.E. Every time these unimaginative reboots comes along I avoid them like the plague. They will never be as good as the original series, so why do they bother? I'm so sick of Hollywood having to remake everything, it just proves that all creativity in that industry is dead. So... it will have better effects, and bigger explosions... so what?! They spend so much time trying to appeal to the brain-dead video-game generation, that practically every movie that comes out now has little to no plot, mediocre acting, and too much CGI effects. Dammit! Stop the insanity!

Whew... that was exhausting. Rant over.
Guy Richie did a good job with Sherlock Holmes imo but Armi Hammer is a big strike against this. The Lone Ranger may never recover.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,821 Posts
I viewed the trailer a few times.

I'm optimistic about the film.

Cavill is emulating Robert Vaughn's vocal style. I'd say Hammer is doing the same to an extent in emulating McCallum as Kuryakin.

I watched the original series and the banter/chemistry between Solo & Kuryakin (IMHO) was not fully cemented until the second season.

Since the film is an origin showing how the two teamed up and assigned to/joined U.N.C.L.E., I'm willing to be open minded about the film.

Ritchie proven himself with the two Sherlock Holmes films and I've enjoyed his London crime caper films in his early directing career.

Considering the film has gone through so much change in cast and plot/setting, the 60s retro theme vibe works for the picture and not against it.

I do feel Hammer will redeem himself with this film and Cavill should be able to pull it off as a "PLAN B" role in the event Superman Vs. Batman is ruined due to @ $ $ fleck (inevitable).

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Aside from the rest, there's a new study released, which says complaining is actually healthy, and may prolong one's life.

·
12,821 Posts
Aside from the rest, there's a new study released, which says complaining is actually healthy, and may prolong one's life.
--

I guess then many here will be immortal.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
If they do to Man From U.N.C.L.E. what they did to Wild, Wild West, we have another travesty brewing.

·
12,821 Posts
If they do to Man From U.N.C.L.E. what they did to Wild, Wild West, we have another travesty brewing.
--

Well Mr. Piss & Vinegar, you do have a point; however, Cavill (thus far) have a decent/good track record with regards to the roles he's chosen and he's got Superman (The Man of Steel) under his belt. Guy Ritchie really redeemed himself with the two Sherlock Holmes films and looking to expand his horizon. Hammer had a dud with The Lone Ranger, but TLR was not completely his doing in terms of a variety of articles online about how & why TLR was a failure from the get go.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. feature film has been brewing for many years and changed hands in terms of stars and directors a few times with the last being George Clooney and Steve Soderbergh. One can possibly speculate on how/why they left the projects based on the $ and scheduling or perhaps those two realized the project is a dud from the start. Clooney left due to his back injury and Clooney is not necessarily keen/known for intense action filled roles as of late asides from "The American" back in 2010.

At one point, the film was considered to be a modern/update of the TV series, but they stuck to the 60s vibe which I believe is a wise decision.

The Wild Wild West was a travesty of a film similar to TLR in some respects, but I blame Will Smith, Barry Sonnenfeld, the writers, and the studio for the abomination of a film it was. It had the opportunity to be a good film, but it was poorly executed.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
I think there is more hand wringing and "thoughtfulness" about these movie re-boots by the various arm-chair critics around here than there is by the actual people making these films....they're going after the dollars, and nothing more.......even the duds make them money......

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly. Then there was also The Avengers (w/ Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman), and I-Spy. Anyone remember these turds? Just because Guy Ritchie did a good job with Holmes, doesn't mean this is going to be any good. As OSP said, Hollywood cares about the money, not whether or not they honor the original (the first Mission Impossible movie, which imho sucked ....., yet somehow churned out 3 sequels), which just tells me the average person wouldn't know a good movie if it bit them in the butt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts