One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all. I found myself here after ceramic sculpture got to be consuming too much space and cash and time, so I thought *small* might be more manageable and was inspired to do dioramas. The main object for me will be the photo of the diorama, so I don't feel like I need to sculpt everything in it by hand. Still... here I am on the verge of ANOTHER hobby that looks to be consuming all my time, if much less space. But fun.

Anyone know if there is an existing 6:1 scale action figure who resembles the man in the attached photo?The broad face, pronounced cheekbones and jaw, sardonic expression are key. Bald is a plus, but I can always remove hair. Bruce Willis' bald version isn't bad, but the face is on the narrow side.

I'm also after a whole laundry list of 6:1 scale items that might amuse some of you: An albino ferret, a guitar, a skateboard, black jeans (yeah, got a whol '80s thing going on here), a metal collander, white leather sneakers, underwear, and a reef aquarium with resident teensy hermit crab, a moral eel, and an octopus. Also replica dorm furnishing. Luckily I can sew, and Fimo will do for a lot of it, and I am happy that there is fingerboarding, thus, little skateboards are available.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome. :)

I'm not much for headsculpt (HS) knowledge, but alot of the items you list can be found if you look around some. As you say, much of it can be scratchbuilt, as well.

It's not much help, but really just poking around turns up sources in unlikely places. Best to take your time and check out various sites and links. Use the archives and past threads here to ask about items that catch your eye.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
this guy has a good selection of shoes.

http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...prchi=&seller=1&sass=manhohole&fsop=32&fsoo=2

those XBoy running shoes are pleather and can be painted. most 1/6 shoe will be plastic. DID made a fig, Carl Hayes w/ a nice skateboard and those XBoy shoes i spoke of come on him.
http://www.onlinedid.com/products/skateboard/

that same ebay seller above has alot of guitars or just search "1/6 guitar" on ebay. also site called Firebirdarts has alot of 1/6 instruments and some animals. no ferret that i see tho

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,115 Posts
Welcome to OSW.

I think you're SOL on the critters. Custom looks like the way to go there. The head sculpt might be tricky too (kind of hard to see), but I don't know of any similar. The rest shouldn't be too hard to find. A lot of that stuff can be found under dolls, Barbie, or 1/6 searches on ebay. Walmart has those finger boards, although if you are going for 80's look, most of the new ones won't work, different deck designs, and shapes. Clothes and furniture shouldn't be too hard to find.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Welcome! I can't vouch for the quality or service, but Fun Toys might be able to set you up on jeans and undies, and maybe sneakers. Check out Toy Square, too. And depending on whether you want an acoustic or electric guitar, there are always 1:6 scale electric guitars up on eBay (example here).

And could a civet be repainted as an albino ferret? (They carry lots of other stuff that might help you out, too.)

And as for the head, expressive headsculpts are few and far between so you might have to give up on that detail (mine is hardly the last word on this, though). If I were you, I'd run an eBay search for "1/6 head" and look over the selection there. (I guess Telly Savalas is out, huh? :lol)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks all

Some very good tips here, thank you. It does look like I'll be doing the head sculp myself, unless i get really lazy and find someone on here to do it... I really should at least try. The critters will be fun to do myself, and I found the guitar i wanted, and a good skateboard (thanks for the mention that the boards today are a different shape--I hadn't noticed that and almost got one of the wrong year--then found 1988 vintage from TechDeck).

Best,

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Welcome to the terror dome, or was it terrier dome? Anyhoo, welcome aboard miss.

If you think a 1:6 lemur or meercat might be close to a 1:6 ferret then check out Bear's site http://onesixthdepot.com/cart/ He's got an ark full of critters. Also check out his mess and accessories sections, if anyone has a 1:6 metal colander it's going to be Bear.

Oddgirl - a personal question. Does the dude in the picture own a screen accurate Darth Vader costume and have a bad back? If so I know this dude. If not... Never mind.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, thank you again, this is great stuff. I don't *think* he owns a Vader costume or has a bad back, but I don't know for sure. Does the guy you know also do a lot of yoga and own a lot of guns? full size : ) guns, that is.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
If the guy I know did a lot of yoga he would not have the bad back:b

Guess it's not the same guy. He looks a lot like a guy I used to do 501st. charity events with (dressed as Star Wars charactors).

Funny true story about him and his son. Couple of years ago he and his son were at a neighborhood b-day party. His son was I think 6 at the time. Anyway, long story short... His son bragged that his dad was Darth Vader, the other kids of course did not believe him and picked on him until he cried. At that point his pops went home and put on all his gear, then came back to the party. He put the fear of the dark side in those lil' punks that day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like something he would do, yet apparently not the same person. Funny.

I've been knocking around the web sites above, and . . . what's up with Bear and all the 1/6 scale civet cats? Many species aren't represented at all. I didn't see, for example, a 1/6 camel, elephant, sloth, cheetah etc... and yet there's at least eight color forms of the civet cat. Is someone doing displays for museums? Did civet cats figure in a major WWII battle? Or does someone just have a random sense of humor and just enjoy throwing a civet cat into the mix for fun... "Here's Gunner Pete taking a breather under cover for a swig from his canteen... sharing his spam with a civet cat?"

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
My guess is Bear buys anything he can see as being 1/6, and he gets it cheep. Probably raids the thrift stores and the bargain bins at Michael's. Then he goes to the trouble of writing a description, taking a picture, assigning a price and inventory quantity then posting on his site. Kudos to you brother Bear.

If you had said you needed a 1:6 camel I would have sent you a different link. Also, shipping on a 1:6 elephant would be a killer.

Now I'm going to go finish my Gunner Pete taking a break bash... Guess I won't use the civet cat after all.

·
sits in a loose parts box
7,448 Posts
Maybe he was already mentioned, but maybe BBI Trident or DML Cody would be a good start?

/oh and Welcome Oddgirl :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW, no criticism of Bear or his collection was intended, it is splendid. It just was a bit of a puzzle. And thanks for the further tips on the heads. I've been looking and looking... bald Bruce Willis Kojak Vin Diesel... on and on and on.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm also after a whole laundry list of 6:1 scale items that might amuse some of you: An albino ferret, a guitar, a skateboard, black jeans (yeah, got a whol '80s thing going on here), a metal collander, white leather sneakers, underwear, and a reef aquarium with resident teensy hermit crab, a moral eel, and an octopus.
this might be a stupid suggestion, but do you live near a PEARL Arts & Crafts store? Most have a large dollhouse department which should cover your metal collander, and the one by me has a HUGE rubber animal section, in tons of sizes and colors- I was checking out the toy dogs so I don't know if your ferret will be there or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Pearl closest to me is a hike but I was looking for an excuse to go there. If they have a weasel (summer or ermine form) that would be a particularly good match. I can skin one of those little mice that are used for cat toys if I want some real fur.

Meanwhile, i have FIMO and am practicing hair rooting and repaints on some dolls from my childhood. Skipper lookes really eerie without her face, but then she looked pretty eerie with it, too.

For slightly reshaping faces, the instructions I have seen say that one uses a scalpel. Would an exacto knife do just as well? Since I already have an exacto knife or rather ten or so of them, I suspect the answer is "no" which means *another* piece of equipment to go out and buy.

I think I'm out of luck finding a male head that is a close match, but I'll keep looking.

I've got my skateboard, brand new. Now I have to destroy the paint job and scratch it up to make it look used. I actually found an old photo of mine with the board I am replicating in it. But I feel sort of bad about scratching up the new board. Which is silly, because it cost $4.00 and it isn't a real collector's item, not yet, just something sold in a box that says that it is.

I am starting to think that maybe this hobby is really a little risky for someone as obsessive as me about the past to get into. Next thing you know I'll be making 1/6 replicas of my parents, and will be back from the 1980's into the 1970's. Regression bad.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
Submit to the dark side!

A belated welcome to you Oddgirl, your project sounds pretty in depth and most of us having crossed paths with insanity we can sympathize with you. I'll keep a look out for a 1/6 ferret for you when I go to the arts and crafts stores; and in the mean time TMNTgal, if she's still around, may carry some boxer shorts. They could have come from a Ken figure, also a good little source of obscure stuff.

Don't worry, the worst that can happen if you scuff up the skateboard is that it just looks more used :p I'd go with a really fine sand paper and mimic the wear and the way it gets worn on the deck and wheels if it were 1:1. I used to be really hesistant about stuff breaking or messing with my toys, but now I look forward to stuff breaking so I can change it and hopefully make it better :D

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.