One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
New Clone (OSW Staff)
14,439 Posts
I second that Steve O. What the heck was that? None of that footage was of the capitals. It looked like a Leafs practice.

·
Welcome to my Life....
1,081 Posts
Guess that was supposed to be funny? I can see a bunch of doopahs sitting around laughing thinking how clever they are, get on the ice for 5 minutes and see whos laughing last.

·
Duty First
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Here's one for you NON hockey fans

What the heck was that? None of that footage was of the capitals. It looked like a Leafs practice.
Of course it's not accurate.

It's called "satire."

Try it some day.

Guess that was supposed to be funny?
Yes, it was actually.

get on the ice for 5 minutes and see whos laughing last.
Geez. I should have figured the diehards would get riled up. Sorry.

I better not ever poke fun at NASCAR fans. I might get death threats.

If I knew how, I'd immediately change the title to reflect that this clip is suitable for NON hockey fans only and as my penance I promise to memorize all of Bobby Orr's stats in time to recite them for my hockey friends at Weekend of Heroes.

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,365 Posts
Longhorn92;718825Geez. I should have figured the diehards would get riled up. Sorry. I will immediately change the title to reflect this clip is suitable for NON hockey fans only.[/QUOTE said:
Relax, LH.

We're all entitled to our opinions. No need to apologize (or was that another example of satire? ;)). We can choose to watch this and comment on it or not. I chose to comment. I do agree with you that non-hockey fans will find it more funny than folks like me and others on the board who love the game, and are, at this time (Stanley Cup Playoffs), about as into it as can be, whether or not our team is still in the hunt.

I reiterate that IMO The Onion is staffed by idiots. MY opinion, which is what's most important to me.

Go Wings!

·
Duty First
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
was that another example of satire? ).
Yeah, pretty much.

I reiterate that IMO The Onion is staffed by idiots.
No doubt, I agree 100%; that's why their stuff is so stupid, and at times, funny to me.

One of the biggest fights I had to wade in to when I was a police officer was at a laid back Bennigan's (like a Chilis bar and grill). Some guy walked up to the bar and saw that they were watching a NASCAR race on TV and said, "Man, I don't understand why people get excited at cars going in circles." Well, that was it, Jack. About three well dressed, NOT intoxicated dudes commenced to kicking his ass. They all went to jail defiantly proclaiming their love of cars going in circles.

From that day forward, I vowed to never make fun of NASCAR in mixed company, unless I was packing.

I hope you enjoy the post season.

·
Welcome to my Life....
1,081 Posts
Satire is strictly a literary genre, but it is also found in the graphic and performing arts. In satire, human or individual vices, follies, abuses, or shortcomings are held up to censure by means of ridicule, derision, burlesque, irony, or other methods, ideally with an intent to bring about improvement.[1] Although satire is usually meant to be funny, the purpose of satire is not primarily humor in itself so much as an attack on something of which the author strongly disapproves, using the weapon of wit.

The above is the wikpedia version of satire.

Longhorn your entitled to your opinion as are we, i wase'nt upset at your post at all, sorry if i came across that way. And knowing that the post might rile up the die hards you posted anyhow and i replied with my opinion and so did Steve O and HP, thats just the nature of the beast.
I can almost guarantee if there were some die hard hockey fans there during the taping thats some chairs would have been a flyin :)

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Unfortunate that this thread got off on a tangent. So, I will add my input. As a diehard Capitals fan and a true believer that Alex Ovechkin is currently the greatest player on ice (though he is actually likely on a golf course presently, DAMN FLYERS), I am utterly offended that they did not use actual footage of Ovechkin and tried to dupe us hockey fans with their amateur levity. I for one will not tolerate it and will storm the gates of the Onion as soon as I can put on my Caps Jersey and hat and get out the door.

Ya know, on second thought, it was pretty funny. Ovie hits hard enough to go to the NFL.

·
New Clone (OSW Staff)
14,439 Posts
It would have been funny if they actually had footage of Ovechkin and the Caps.

Satire is funny, but it helps if it's done intelligently.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
Actually Hollow, I think they dont allow Caps footage outside of the DC Metro area. Though I have to say that at least Ovie has gotten more attention than I expected, even if they are still trying to figure out how to give the Hart to Malkin or Iginla.

·
Silent Hunter
14,676 Posts
It would have been funny if they actually had footage of Ovechkin and the Caps.

Satire is funny, but it helps if it's done intelligently.
Ahhhh....so a requirement for satire is intelligence??? Now I understand!!!!:knock

·
Duty First
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey, seriously, I didn't mean to get people pissed off--well, maybe a little riled up by making fun of a sport I know nothing about but many others love--but it was meant all in fun.

I know sometimes funny isn't funny if you are on the receiving end of the joke.

I know how I'd feel if my beloved synchronized swimming were to be belittled.

By the way, after reading up on the NHL playoffs and becoming a near expert, I am now pulling for the Red Wings, based solely on their cool logo.

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,365 Posts
I know how I'd feel if my beloved synchronized swimming were to be belittled.

By the way, after reading up on the NHL playoffs and becoming a near expert, I am now pulling for the Red Wings, based solely on their cool logo.
Ah, yes, synchronized swimming; the only sport on the planet that's tougher than ice hockey.

Good choice on a team to root for. You can't go wrong with the ol' Winged Wheel!

GO WINGS!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.