One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm working on a sci-fi bash of a pair of Mars Garrison Marines & I'm now thinking about the base

I'm thinking red sand of course, but am sort of stuck there, any actual pics of the surface of mars just don't give enough detail & that there'd have to have been some sort of terraforming if there is a garrison, so there'd be some vegetation.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers,

DL99

·
Hobby Military Advisor
1,079 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hallo!

Mars probe "Curiosity" anlaysis said that the Martian soil was much lie that of Hawaii.

And a mix of older sedimentary type conglomerates as well as dry arid, wind rounded stuff. Sand and dust over much due to winds and storms.

IMHO, the images available on Google search for "Mars soil images'' turns up a decent sampling.
As well as the feint and "washed out" orange tint in places.

"John Carter of Mars" outdoor shots were filmed at Moab and Big Water, Utah, USA.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,956 Posts
What about the movie "Mission to Mars" At least I think that's the name. The one with Kilmer.
--

You're referring to RED PLANET.

MISSION TO MARS starred Gary Sinise, Tim Robbins, Don Cheadle, Connie Nielsen, & Jerry O'Connell.

MISSION TO MARS was a better film of the two, but IMHO they both sucked.

I actually liked THE LAST DAYS ON MARS though. Check it out. They actually filmed the exterior scenes in Jordan to simulate Mars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Days_on_Mars

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, he said... (I'm probably dating myself here). Ullaaa!

DeltaFC, I did like Last Days on Mars better than I expected to. And I liked John Carter a lot -- if it had been made a bit cheaper, and hadn't needed to make back like a quadzillion dollars, I think it would be positively remembered.

Now on topic. Darklord99, your kinda pointing in two different directions when you ask for detail on the actual surface of Mars, and at the same time for purposes of your bash, you want to assume there's been terraforming and some vegetation. If you're in Category 2, you can essentially make up your own rules. It seems to me that you want to decide first how you'd like your Mars Marines to look, and then work backwards from there. If if you want them to look like they're heavily space-suited, your surface can be the bleakest red desert. Iif you want them to look more like contemporary joes with gas masks, then your surface can be more temperate and show some terraformed vegetation etc. I think no matter what, the sand does have to be reddish in tone, because that's expected for Mars, and the vegetation if you have any does have to be sparse and a bit exotic.

My point is that being sci-fi, you can choose whatever you want (within limits) to best suit and to show off how you'd like your actual figures to look and what gear you want them to carry, etc.

·
Mandoll withdrawl
8,748 Posts
May post may not be helpful at all :p :

I like that Gods of Mars look. Since Mars is like half the size of Earth, gravity is less there so your garrison could probably hump a bit more gear than an Earthbound counterpart--or heavier armor? Maybe a HULC-inspired armor like those in Elysium or the new Tom Cruise film.

You could go with what we know about Mars, that it is wicked cold and that there currently is almost no atmosphere--so after terraforming it would still be pretty frigid but with a weak atmosphere--so you could model it after cold tundras/deserts? Or a light snow atop the red Martian rocks?
Would we have planted Earth plants from frigid places? It would probably be more interesting as a rocky/cliff-like kind of space imo, ala this Ironman exhibition display from some show in HK. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4013/4548114942_774f3cba09_o.jpg
This display has a nice interactive element, maybe a big craggy rock instead of a preserved tree though. http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4062/4548122600_464d437bd0_o.jpg

I'm sure this is colorized a bit, but maybe sunset would do that? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:2008-09-13-squaw-cactus-26328.jpg
I feel like the cactus may represent a southwestern US desert too much.

Edit -- lol while randomly google-ing Mars+surface I found this, looks neat.
http://brotherostavia.deviantart.com/art/ISIS-Mars-Soldier-Camo-Patterns-399530714

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
hmm, looks like you're off to a pretty good start!
Whenever I hear about Mars Marines I always think of the Doom games, heh heh.
When you get into equipment and such, might want to take into consideration an air supply, and for more examples of the Martian terrain, you could check out the John Carter film.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts