One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm a newbie in this hobby. I was hoping someone may be able to help me with a Dragon repair issue. I broke the foot/ankle of an older figure while trying to get the boots off. How can I repair this and where can I get a replacement foot?

By the way, what's the deal with getting Dragon boots off? It seems really hard to do, hence, my breaking the ankle. I'm used to Joe boots. They come off quite easily. Is there a special trick with Dragon boots off?

Also, would anyone be able to identify this Dragon head:

Any help is appreciated.
Regards
Peter

·
AKA "ChiliDoug"
7,541 Posts
well, it depends....here are answers to your 3 questions:

Take a picture of the foot so we can see the damage and give you proper advice,

warm a mug of water for about 1 minute in the microwave and dip the booted foot in it for about one minute, then the boot should slip off easily (or use a hair dryer on the booted foot, thus warming it up...same thing, different approach),

Your picture didn't work...so we can't see the head, or at least I can't.

Hope that helps.

·
Jawa
1,593 Posts
I agree with Zebraten about using a mug of hot water to warm the boots. I also learned the hard way that dragon's ankle joints can be brittle when you are trying to force on or remove a boot. I do this when putting on/taking off all of the rubber/vinyl boots just to be safe.

As for repairing it, I think it would probably be in your best interest to just get another Dragon body. They are relatively cheap and considering it is doubtful that a repaired body will be nearly as sturdy as a new one, I would say go for the new body.

Hope this helps! Don't get discouraged with broken parts!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi
I posted a photo of my mystery Dragon figure in the gallery :WW1 WW2
It's called Dragon German:

I don't have a photo of the broken foot yet. I will post that later.
Many thanks
Peter

·
AKA "ChiliDoug"
7,541 Posts

I still couldn't see your pic in the forums, so I took the liberty of getting it from the gallery.

Having said that, I have no idea who that sculpt is, but I'm sure someone here does.

·
frustrated hobbiest
1,602 Posts
I carefully slit the boots up the back, thankfully most boots have a seam there so you don't notice the slit so much.

CHEERS!
I also use the exacto knife method, but I prefer the hair dryer...no permanent damage and it gives my wife and kids ample opportunity to tease me for playing with dolls:thumb

·
Premium Member
6,421 Posts
I usually use a hairdryer to warm the boots in order to make it pliable, and then use some kind of lubricant (sewing machine needle oil for me). It makes the process so much easier, and guaranteed to not break the ankle. :thumb

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
That sculpt looks familiar, but I'm not sure if it's DML. I'm guessing you don't have it in hand? DML's heads have a number on the back of the neck, which you can check against a database here. It doesn't show every head that's listed, and I didn't see this one among those pictured.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Regarding my mystery Dragon figure, I found the serial number and then found it in the database. He's Friedrich Kohler ,head # 569 serial 70413.
He's had a repaint. Maybe that's why he was harder to identify.
Thanks again for your help in identifying.

He's the one with the broken foot. I'd still like to fix him rather than find him another body. If anyone has a left foot they could spare, I would be much obliged.
Regards
Peter

·
Furious Genius
1,973 Posts
I also use the exacto knife method, but I prefer the hair dryer...no permanent damage and it gives my wife and kids ample opportunity to tease me for playing with dolls:thumb
Second the hair dryer method, slitting the boots seems a little drastic when a gentle application of some heat will due.

As for you broken foot I always drill a hole in the foot/hand and ankle/wrist to accept a length of brass rod. I Krazy Glue it in to both ends, limiting movement but at least Humpty-Dumpty is back together. Because I use brass I am able to bend the hand or foot a little bit, just can't over work it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts