One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using the Tulip matte fabric paints, such as the one below in black:

They always look shiny/glittery after drying, especially on cotton. Any thoughts and suggestions? I painted a military uniform glittery black :doh

·
Registered
604 Posts
No idea. But I use velveteen instead of matte for fabrics I don't want any sheen on. The velveteen is made to react to heat and look fuzzy like velvet. When I made my Mad Hatter boots I used matte on the outside and velveteen on the inside. The matte had a shine after it dried on the cotton fabric, but the velveteen did not. Even less so when heat was used on it. The downside is, I think, the colors in velveteen are limited.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No idea. But I use velveteen instead of matte for fabrics I don't want any sheen on. The velveteen is made to react to heat and look fuzzy like velvet. When I made my Mad Hatter boots I used matte on the outside and velveteen on the inside. The matte had a shine after it dried on the cotton fabric, but the velveteen did not. Even less so when heat was used on it. The downside is, I think, the colors in velveteen are limited.
That's so odd. I figure that velveteen would be shinier and matte should be, well, matte. I have 10 mini Tulip bottles that I just don't know what to do with anymore.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
Since you're using them to paint fabric already, shoot them with some flat clear spray when done drying. That'll "matte" them out for sure and you won't have to scrap all the paint.

·
Registered
604 Posts
It is odd, that's for sure. I agree with Dadrab. Or if that makes the fabric too stiff, try mixing it with acrylic paint of the same color. That's something else that I do a lot when I need a color of fabric paint that I don't actually have on hand. The acrylic will absorb a lot of the shine and alter the color (if using a color different from the fabric paint), but the fabric paint will keep the acrylic flexible and prevent chipping and flaking.

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
I have a plastic Bowler hat (a 'Derby' in the US) and the velveteen sounds like it might be the very thing to make it look like a real hat. What do you think?

BTW, have a look at DecoArt SoSoft Fabric paint - they are pretty good I'll be posting a trial I did in the next few days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts