One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello:

I've placed an order on Mar. 3 through Paypal to Newlineminiatures and the items were sent by Graham using USPS Priority Mail International (Trackable and insured).

Tracking number indicates the item has departed USPS facility on Mar. 6 and is in transit to destination (Taiwan).

I know that it may take a little over 10 days or more but it's almost three weeks and I'm starting to get a little worried.

I looked up the policies on USPS and it looks like only the sender can ask USPS to look into the problem. I sent en email asking Graham if he could help me with that.

Question is: What else should I do at this point?

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
It's just two weeks today, since it left the USPS facility. Newline is located in the state of Georgia, in the southeastern US, and weather has been a problem for transportation and travel, recently. It's possible that the package was held up. When you use the USPS tracking, does it say it left the last US facility, or does it show a series of facilities?

I've had some long waits, depending on where orders were sent from, and which coast they landed on. It can be a test of one's nerves, but I would give it a bit more time. That's my opinion.

Mike

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
It's just two weeks today, since it left the USPS facility. Newline is located in the state of Georgia, in the southeastern US, and weather has been a problem for transportation and travel, recently. It's possible that the package was held up. When you use the USPS tracking, does it say it left the last US facility, or does it show a series of facilities?

I've had some long waits, depending on where orders were sent from, and which coast they landed on. It can be a test of one's nerves, but I would give it a bit more time. That's my opinion.

Mike
Hello pukingdog:

USPS Product and Tracking information indicates that the item arrived at USPS facility in Miami (FL) on Mar. 5th and departed the facility on Mar.6th and is in transit to the destination. It doesn't say it has left the "last US facility". No updates since then.

I'm assuming this means that the package has left Miami and is being sent directly to Taiwan?

I've never used USPS before so I'm not exactly sure about how and how often tracking is updated. I only know that if one wants items sent with minimal risk, select a trackable and insured shipping method.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Give it a little more time, as pukingdog said. I recently looked in to sending a shipment overseas (from US to Holland), and they told me it could take up to 30 days, unless I went the most expensive route, then it could be there in a few days, but the person I was sending it to wanted the cheapest shipping. International shipping, whether from the US or vice versa, can take awhile. And it may or may not be going straight to Taiwan from Miami. Just keep checking that tracking. I know it may be frustrating, and it's hard to be patient, but you should get your item. Newline is a reputable company. If you don't get it, ever, they'll take care of you.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Give it a little more time, as pukingdog said. I recently looked in to sending a shipment overseas (from US to Holland), and they told me it could take up to 30 days, unless I went the most expensive route, then it could be there in a few days, but the person I was sending it to wanted the cheapest shipping. International shipping, whether from the US or vice versa, can take awhile. And it may or may not be going straight to Taiwan from Miami. Just keep checking that tracking. I know it may be frustrating, and it's hard to be patient, but you should get your item. Newline is a reputable company. If you don't get it, ever, they'll take care of you.
Hello Stryker2011:

Understood. I will continue to keep an eye out for that package.

And I suppose worst case scenario that the poor thing (package) goes missing, there's always the insurance.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have shipped thousands of packages internationally over the years and have found that sometimes the receiving country rarely scans the parcel on arrival leaving everyone up in the air as to it's whereabouts.

I have also had shipments held up in the local customs facilities for several weeks (usually resulting in additional taxes levied on the recipient). In all I have shipped over 10 thousand packages to 65 different countries and have only had the claim of not arriving four times, although two to France appeared to be fraud and one made a whirlwind journey around the world and was returned to me battered and crushed after six months!

I wouldn't start to worry till after four weeks after it was shipped.

Good luck and fingers crossed!

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I have items that track to NYC, then are not entered again for days. Not sure if people are dropping the ball on scans, or if data isn't updated as regularly as it should be. It makes delivery companies and postal services look inept, which is too bad, when personnel are really working hard to get packages to their destinations.

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,318 Posts
I have items that track to NYC, then are not entered again for days. Not sure if people are dropping the ball on scans, or if data isn't updated as regularly as it should be. It makes delivery companies and postal services look inept, which is too bad, when personnel are really working hard to get packages to their destinations.
Normally, they track it up to when it is about to board a plane or the postal center at the airport. From then on, it is untraceable until it reaches the other postal system. Priority to registered mail is done this way. EMS is different. They track it from every point. Whatever the case, it will show up. Don't worry. I think the loss rate is ridiculously low. Under 1%.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I was just citing the gaps in the informational elements of the system. In a current case, the parcel left Russia on 24 Feb, at which time it was "off the radar" for some time. It then showed up at a facility in NY on 19 Mar, with no more updates since then. It's here in the US, but it's possible the weather has held it up. The irony is that usually in the US, the process is updated several times a day.

FedEx dropped off an in-country package this morning, there was a gap in the tracking of two days. Once it reached Liberal, KS on late Sunday (an air hub), it went dark until early this morning, when it was updated four times in seven hours.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Priority Mail international unfortunately doesn't have a guaranteed delivery standard (priority mail express does however), and is given a rough guideline of 6-10 business days. In my experience US to asia is usually meets or exceeds the longer of that estimate and non-express priority mail international is generally not much faster than first class and the name "priority" can be somewhat misleading.

It's not abnormal for the last few US exit scans to not scan completely to the point it shows international departure, as they sometimes don't always update with the final scan prior to departure. USPS only pays foreign services for limited tracking scans for services like priority mail (non express) and first class (those countries that do scan) so typically you only get an update when it clears customs in the foreign country and delivery, though some countries offer more scans.

Unless you've used a service level higher than standard priority mail international (the real expedited services have regularly updated scans like courier packages), USPS can't obtain or give any updated information. In a perfect world all postal services would have proper reciprocal agreements in place and this would be a non-issue, but there is a huge disparity in systems and deployed hardware currently.

I wouldn't panic until after 30 days has passed. In my experience only 1 package for every several thousand ever goes missing, and half the time that is due to the foreign service bungling delivery or not notifying the recipient their package is ready for pickup at the local post office. You may wish to inquire with your local post office to see if they have any packages for you.

Hello pukingdog:

USPS Product and Tracking information indicates that the item arrived at USPS facility in Miami (FL) on Mar. 5th and departed the facility on Mar.6th and is in transit to the destination. It doesn't say it has left the "last US facility". No updates since then.

I'm assuming this means that the package has left Miami and is being sent directly to Taiwan?

I've never used USPS before so I'm not exactly sure about how and how often tracking is updated. I only know that if one wants items sent with minimal risk, select a trackable and insured shipping method.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello everyone:

The package arrived this afternoon, and in relatively good condition. The tracking shows that it is still in transit, which means perhaps it was delayed in customs?

Anyways, thanks to everyone for all the advice and suggestions!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some things I could have done on my part when using USPS:

Include the address written in Chinese as well, perhaps this will help speed up the delivery?

Clearly state available hours to pick up package.

I think remembering to include the above steps would've helped with speeding up delivery?

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,318 Posts
Include the address written in Chinese as well, perhaps this will help speed up the delivery?
I think remembering to include the above steps would've helped with speeding up delivery?
No, it would have not helped one bit. It will arrive when it arrives. Also, it may help when written in Chinese as well as English, but some countries post offices only use English. In other words, no foreign languages allowed. Canada is one of these countries. One time I got a package back from Canada stating the return address has to be written in English...I don't get it???

So you got it a little over 2 weeks. That is the standard. Between 2~3 weeks. I have had packages that take up over a month from the US, but this is rare.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No, it would have not helped one bit. It will arrive when it arrives. Also, it may help when written in Chinese as well as English, but some countries post offices only use English. In other words, no foreign languages allowed. Canada is one of these countries. One time I got a package back from Canada stating the return address has to be written in English...I don't get it???

So you got it a little over 2 weeks. That is the standard. Between 2~3 weeks. I have had packages that take up over a month from the US, but this is rare.
Understood.

I was a little surprised too, I thought it would take another two weeks at least, but it arrived. I guess it cleared customs early this week.

Also, just yesterday I called the local Post Office and the man on the phone told me to wait as the tracking indicated that it was still in transit...then the package arrived the next day. What timing.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
The only thing that helps speed up delivery is using a seller/retailer who uses non-resized, digitally generated (ie not handwritten) shipping labels that conform to the exact label specifications (spacing/sizing) from the chosen postal service, and includes an HS code (ie not writing something silly like Gift: Dolls) for customs on said labels. This ensures they are sorted and processed as efficiently as possible and avoid manual sorting that can delay packages for days within the postal sorting and within customs. Unless spending 80-150 dollars on courier class shipping, delivery times will be somewhat random in a usual 1-3 week window.

Postal services generally don't care about anything written on a shipping label other than the delivery address. You can include details like phone numbers, preferred delivery times, etc but they will be ignored. The exception would be something like an apartment buzz/intercom number which can be useful. For international mailing, English is universal.

Glad to hear your package arrived!

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
Great to hear. My Russian parcel showed up a little while ago, after a sudden flurry of data from the local centers. I talked with the postman, they have new scanners with GPS, keeps track of their every move in this area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shipping internationaly can also take a long time not only because of the distance involved and the amount of times the packages changes hands, but because your package might get caught in the destination country's customs, where it's analyzed for whether the recipient owes taxes or duties for importing it.click on USPS

1 - 20 of 20 Posts