One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Fear is not an Option!
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank guys! I want to use them for US Nam bashes. I got them for $2.00 and $2.00 shipped. I thought that was a good deal. :)

G

·
I'd say it's an NVA pack rather than a US pack, but if you do US SF then ok, as LRRPs and SF guys used indigenous packs as above mentioned

·
Strange & different
1,519 Posts
To answer the question, no, that's NOT a standard US ruck. Might have been used by some US troops, but lotsa gear was made during the Southeast Asian Wargames by Pacific Rim countries at the behest of the US and Allied countries. Heck, our tropical ruck was developed from captured examples from the NVA, modified, tested, and modified some more, before being issued to troops.

Think more in line with "nylon and aluminum frame" when ya think and see 3-pocket OD Green rucks and yer closing in on the real thing. "Cotton canvas and rubberized canvas" and it's most likely foreign-made.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The most common Rucks used by US troops in Nam in no particular order.

1. US lightweight Tropical Ruck with alum. frame ( 3 pocket design issued to most troops). There is also the X frame(built into the ruck) version of this rucksack.

2. AVRN ruck ( 2 pocket Vietnamese design; (this ruck came with the Hot Toys SEAL 60 gunner).

3. The Ruck Mercenary25 posted (3 pocket sterile CISO Ruck) made in Okinawa SOG/SF missions which came in 2 versions one of which had a rubberized coating. This is the Ruck that came with the Kenn Miller figure.

4. Also Early in the War some WWII/Korea Era Mountaineering Rucks with frame were used by SF advisors(most likely Vets of one or both Wars).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts