One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this topic of rubber care has been covered a lot but I'm now asking this from a slightly different angle.

I just received a HT Dark Knight Tumbler from the first release, which must be 2009 or so. It is new and everything is great but I noticed the front tires are a little tacky from years of being in contact with the styrofoam packaging material. Obviously the rubber did react with the plastic. It's not a serious problem but I know the issues with rubber/vinyl/pvc/plastic coming into contact with other synthetics are real and concerning.

I want to protect the tires so they don't erode over time; anything to ...... any potential rot that might happen. Does anyone have some tried and tested suggestions? Some advice that really does work on this? There are have been so many theories on how to go about this with rubber figure suits but I haven't seen anything addressing the thick rubber wheels of the Tumbler. I've read suggestions about using mineral oil or WD-40 but don't want to risk anything either by making a bad decision.

So... some help from anyone would be appreciated. Advice?

·
One Sixth Striker
998 Posts
Don't they use clear plastic sheet and wrap the wheels/tires? That would prevent the rubber to come in contact with Styrofoam directly. If you are planning to keep it the box, I suggest wrapping it with plastic sheet, or cling wraps, or maybe even thin cloth.

For display-wise, rubber bounds to deteriorate over time, mineral oil seems to be a popular choice, I heard WD-40 is a bad idea, it could warp the plastic.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't they use clear plastic sheet and wrap the wheels/tires? That would prevent the rubber to come in contact with Styrofoam directly. If you are planning to keep it the box, I suggest wrapping it with plastic sheet, or cling wraps, or maybe even thin cloth.

For display-wise, rubber bounds to deteriorate over time, mineral oil seems to be a popular choice, I heard WD-40 is a bad idea, it could warp the plastic.
Thanks. No it's unpacked now with the intention to be displayed. I wouldn't keep this in the box. So does this mean all of the HT cars will see their tires eroding over time? The Tumbler, the '89 Batmobile and the eagerly anticipated '66 Batmobile and the BTTF DeLorean? Someone better hurry up and make custom hard plastic replacement wheels for all of these.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
If it were me, I'd leave it alone for a time now that it's out of the package and out of contact with the Styrofoam. It will probably be OK.

Otherwise, if you feel you have to treat it with something, a light wipe of Armour All should do it. Rubber's about all it's good for, though, so don't slop it all over everything.

I really don't see how HT has achieved this deity type of following by consistently using crappy materials - especially rubber.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it were me, I'd leave it alone for a time now that it's out of the package and out of contact with the Styrofoam. It will probably be OK.

Otherwise, if you feel you have to treat it with something, a light wipe of Armour All should do it. Rubber's about all it's good for, though, so don't slop it all over everything.

I really don't see how HT has achieved this deity type of following by consistently using crappy materials - especially rubber.
That's it! I think Armour All should work but I agree I will leave it alone as long as I can. I discovered that the rubber on the Tumbler front tires is remarkably thin for what it is. There's a plastic wheel underneath. I've seen thicker rubber tires on remote control cares so why wouldn't HT have used something similar? I'm looking to get the '89 Batmobile, '66 Batmobile and BTTF DeLorean and have to wonder if I (we) should be concerned for all of these. I don't mind a broken plastic part here or there that can be fixed with glue but deteriorating tires on a big 1:6 vehicle is substantially noticeable and impossible to repair or replace.

It's really sad we have to sit with full knowledge while simply waiting for the rubber and pleathor on all of our toys to disintegrate over time. The disintegration will happen at different rates for different toys because there is so much inconsistency. I wonder about my various HT Batman figures, Leonidas, Alien: Dallas and my HT Alien Big Chap. They will be junk in a decade or less.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts