One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

First, I suppose I should introduce myself in the new members forum, but I must confess I haven't yet, and I am new here so this would be my first post! (I think I will still intro myself eventually, haha, just wasn't sure if anyone actually reads those very often.)

So right of the bat, call me a newb, but I wasn't sure where to post this particular issue/question I have, as I did not see a category for specifically modifying electronic components of our sixth scale collectibles in the custom fix and tricks section. If you feel I should still make a post somewhere in there, I'll be happy to repost there instead, and please accept my apologies.

I'm trying to bypass the "touch" switch on my Hot Toys MMS408 R2D2, (Force Awakens version.) This is one where there is a hard-on/off switch beneath the head but then there's this additional "light-tap" or "touch" sensor/button on the outside for easy access, (and to avoid draining the batteries), -that alternates between two lighting modes, and off, but the default "mode" is OFF, so you have to tap it twice to engage the full desired lighting effect. Typically the light feature of R2 is powered by 3 small watch batteries. LR44...I think. But I've purchased the Soap Reactor battery adaptor and power supply so I can have long-term power provided to my figures with light-up features, and be controlled by the switch in the room. The problem with figures like this is that by default they aren't just going to turn on with the flip of one switch, which is pretty annoying.

I'd like all the lights on his head to be on at all times, (when the hard s
witch is on), because I'm not running this off batteries anymore, and I want him displayed in full effect in conjunction with all my display lighting. As of right now, the lights won't just come on when I turn on my Soap Reactor, I have to tap his head twice every time. The initial tap turns on R2's white "projection" or hologram lights, the 2nd tap engages all his lights, (which is what I want), then taping once more will turn him back off.

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing I need to solder something on this chip/switch, or the main chip, or re-route/jump, or disconnect specific wire(s)? Its gotta be something simple,...err, right?

Circled in red in the first pic is the touch switch, on a small chip, wired back to the main circuitry at the center circled in yellow The 2nd pic is a close-up of the back of the switch after I pulled it out of its slot.. . There's a Red, Green, and Blue wire going to this.

Any pointers would be appreciated! I'd like to do this to my new Sideshow C3PO as well! - same deal there, another "tap" to toggle it on...PLEASE let me know if any of you have done something like this or plan to? Any threads I may've missed about by-passing such "touch" or "tap" buttons? or users that I can be directed to that maybe have some experience with electrical/electronic mods?

Thank you!

Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic component Electronic engineering Computer hardware
Light Circuit component Finger Hardware programmer Communication Device
Circuit component Light Passive circuit component Electrical wiring Hardware programmer

Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Electrical wiring Electronic component
[SUB][/SUB]

·
Registered
913 Posts
Welcome to the board and wow!. That looks a lot more complicated than I would have thought. I have only had little experience soldering wires to LEDS and then to a power source and that is all just trial and error using cheaper stuff than hot toys figures. I hope someone else will chime in with more knowledge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the welcome. Yeah hopefully someone can help, it does look complicated, but I have a feeling its something super simple. but I'm still debating if I should experiment or just deal with it. I've got it up as a paid question on justask.com for electricians and electronics "experts" but so far nothing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Where did you buy the Soap Reactor if you don't mind me asking? I want to light up my R2 too, the batteries drain within an hour. I found the Soap Studio website but really not sure what I'm looking at and don't know what I need to buy to get the LR44 wires. Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts