One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
1,319 Posts
in reverse order...

Army logic dictated who was a medic. SOmetimes volunteer, sometimes assigned, rarely assigned because of any medical experience, at least at the patrol/unit level. Folks with real medical background might end up in the medical corp, but platoon medics were often chosen randomly.

In general, many medics did not carry weapons, however, they often did. Pistols, perhaps, but probably just as many at the squad level carried carbines or M1's as didn't. There are no aethiests in foxholes, and there are few unarmed soldiers directly on the front line. It happens, of course, that they would enter combat unarmed, but it was also just as possible they would carry a weapon.

Patches were frequently up to the medic.. in the PTO, squad medics rarely wore the red cross or white circle, as they made easy targets for Japanese riflemen. In the ETO, they tended to wear the crosses more, as German soldiers weren't thought to be as merciless as the Japanese.

So, pretty much, I would say the closer to the front you were, the more your medic looked like every other grunt. The farther back, towards the hospitals you were, the more the medics used markings, disdained weapons, etc..

· Registered
1,319 Posts
I base my conjecture on carrying weapons from pictures I have seen, especially from the PTO. I am ready to stand corrected.

· Registered
1,319 Posts
and i just realized that the OP had the words "101st" in his request. So forget all my marine, PTO, etc. stuff.

i gotta start reading better...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.