One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1:6 MANIAC
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if any of you guys can help me with this project of mine:

what are the correct patches for a WW2 101st medic? what about the helmet and weapons?
anyone knows if Band of Brothers is accurate?
I know (or think) the medics can only carry pistols, but are they allowed to carry bayonets (only the blade, of course) ?
I also wanted to confirm that those soldiers (the medic paratroopers from WW2, especially 101st) weren´t even medical doctors or nurses, so i wanted to understand how they were assigned for that function!

sorry about that many questions...and thanks for any help!

·
Banned
452 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
in reverse order...

Army logic dictated who was a medic. SOmetimes volunteer, sometimes assigned, rarely assigned because of any medical experience, at least at the patrol/unit level. Folks with real medical background might end up in the medical corp, but platoon medics were often chosen randomly.

In general, many medics did not carry weapons, however, they often did. Pistols, perhaps, but probably just as many at the squad level carried carbines or M1's as didn't. There are no aethiests in foxholes, and there are few unarmed soldiers directly on the front line. It happens, of course, that they would enter combat unarmed, but it was also just as possible they would carry a weapon.

Patches were frequently up to the medic.. in the PTO, squad medics rarely wore the red cross or white circle, as they made easy targets for Japanese riflemen. In the ETO, they tended to wear the crosses more, as German soldiers weren't thought to be as merciless as the Japanese.

So, pretty much, I would say the closer to the front you were, the more your medic looked like every other grunt. The farther back, towards the hospitals you were, the more the medics used markings, disdained weapons, etc..

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I base my conjecture on carrying weapons from pictures I have seen, especially from the PTO. I am ready to stand corrected.

·
Banned
452 Posts
Btw the Geneva convention allows medical personnel the right to bear arms, but only for the defence of themselves and those in their care. No mention that rifles are taboo at all.
Yes true, but that sacrifices their protection under the Geneva Convention. If they carry any sort of firearm they pose a military threat, therefore most medics wouldn't want to be a "military threat" by not carrying a weapon.
Most medics stuck to ethics. Yes in many cases in the PTO because the Japanese saw the medics as prime targets common sense takes hold in carrying a weapon to protect themselves. It stands upon the Medic to make the decision if he would or would not want to carry a weapon and put himself in danger along with the soldier he is treating. But this is His figure to decide what to put on it

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
and i just realized that the OP had the words "101st" in his request. So forget all my marine, PTO, etc. stuff.

i gotta start reading better...

·
1:6 MANIAC
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
and i just realized that the OP had the words "101st" in his request. So forget all my marine, PTO, etc. stuff.

i gotta start reading better...
don´t worry about that detail, you are all being so helpful, PLEASE, keep the info coming, it does not matter at all!

thanks!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hi Robert.

As someone mentions in your post, Geneva convention don´t allow medical personnel to carry any kind of weapons, but can use those who were at use of an injuried soldier at the very moment of being attended, if anyone tries to kill someone who is injuried, because at this very moment, the injuried soldier is no longer a "threat". in this documents, it is also stated that any injuried soldier, no matter what army belongs to, must be attended as if he were an own army personnel. (IE. American soldiers MUST be attended by GERMAN MEDICS no matter they were "the enemy".

The so called "Medics" in WWII were "technical personnel trained to do some kind of jobs accordinge they skill tests and expertise". Further information can be found at this page: WW2 US Medical Research Centre :: Homepage. in this website you can see whatsoever a "Medic" carried in their bags, how civillian personnel became a "MEDIC", and many other great info about it.

I hope this info can help you someway.

Greetings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.