One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
I don't know how useful the search function would be even if it was working properly but I believe that the Google method of searching may be far superior even if the default search did work properly. I've been using the Google method a lot lately on this and other forums with great results and it's definitely more useful than the search function that we had with the prior version of the forum software. With Google. there is no word length requirement and you can easily exclude terms from searches. The best part is that it can be used to search for images in the forum as well. I posted the Google workaround for the search function awhile back but for anyone that didn't see it, you may find this thread helpful: A Google search tip to augment the improperly working search function here

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
Vbulletin search is fine if setup properly but google can help you narrow down results. Just to add to what you had suggested, also use the quote modifier to narrow down your searches further, ie "soldier story" multicam site:eek:nesixthwarriors.com. Also works great with various email providers, ebay, etc.
I do a lot of Google searching for sometimes very hard to find information and with specific commands, such as what you mentioned, searches can be very precise. More often than not, I can find the information that I'm looking for if it's to be found on the internet. Until recently, I wasn't aware of the usefulness of the "site:" function, but since learning to properly use it, it has become my go-to tool when looking for hard to find information or images. It can even be used with non-English websites for us English only speakers, when used in conjunction with Google Translate or another online translator. For example, doing a Google search for "苏联 site:bbs.bbicn.com" will return results from the Chinese BBICN forum for threads that contain the Chinese word for "Soviet". Often times though, it's not even necessary to use translated terms to search those sites and forums, because even though the Chinese alphabet uses different characters than most of us are familiar with, the users will still type terms such as "OMON" or "AK-47" using the Roman alphabet that the majority of us are familiar with.

These sites containing Google search functions and tips could come in very useful for anyone trying to improve their search skills:

How to search on Google - Search Help
11 Google Tricks That'll Change the Way You Search - Motto
20 Tips To Use Google Search Efficiently

1 - 2 of 2 Posts