One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost had a MAJOR (ROD) DISASTER.....I tried painting the Hasbro Humvee Tires with KRYLON CAMO BLACK with FUSION TECHNOLOGY. The Fusion Technology means the paint was designed especially for PLASTICS. I sprayed it on according to the directions (supposed to dry in 15 minutes or less...) and 2 days later it was still STICKY. Not tacky, STICKY.
Hmmm, what to do? I used some "GOOF OFF". I poured some into a jar, and using a small soft bristle paint brush, dipped it into the GOOF OFF and brushed it on the RUBBER AREA of the tire . THE second I had a quick coat on I quickly put it under HOT running water and then wiped it off with a cotton towel. THANKFULLY, it worked and restored the tire to the original state before painting.
I had used KRYLON BLACK PRIMER before and it worked fine. I didn't have any so I tried the FUSION BLACK. LESSON LEARNED.
I will get a can or 2 of the KRYLON BLACK PRIMER and try it all over. and hope the results are like when I used it before. If not, I'll use TESTORS ACRYLIC FLAT BLACK and my airbrush..........

·
In case of emergency....
1,997 Posts
Butch, I would go ahead and airbrush on the Testors acrylic. It'll be safer.

Krylon Fusion doesn't work at all with any soft PVC. A friend of mine ruined several pairs of boots with it a few years ago. Fusion is mostly meant for painting polyethylene.

I've never tried this myself but I've been told that the best stuff to use on vinyl is animation cel acrylic or "one shot" acrylic sign paint. Both are usually available at art suppliers that cater to professional artists rather than "big box" chains like Michael's or Hobby Lobby.

·
Customizer
2,232 Posts
I taped mine off and sprayed on dullcote.
Took care of the shine and looks pretty good.

·
I got you "covered" ! (OSW Staff)
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have since ONLY used KRYLON BLACK PRIMER and have had ZERO problems....drying time is almost instant.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts