One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting emails from PB about " great new offers" and such, but I have been deleteing them ( without reading ) out of spite.
After browsing through old posts, mine and others, I lament the amount of hard work that has been lost.
Are any of their offers worth bothering with?
Will my missing pics reappear in old posts?
Will Fre ever learn who is plugging up the reactor vent?

Just curious to know if Photobucket realized their mistake and came to their senses.

Of course, now that I want to know, I'm not getting any emails from them. :doh

·
i draw pictures.....
2,045 Posts
yeap. they're 100 bucks offer sounded good to me. i have over 2000 pics i wasn't prepared to switch. They've come to their senses and now allow sharing in the forums with the 100 a year plan.

namaste
miguel

·
Registered
309 Posts
I too lament the amount of lost work caused by the changes PB introduced, however I am afraid for me the damage was done when they thought they could get away with it.

The net result is for me is that I used to hold over 3000 pics with them, and contribute to over 20 different forums for different hobbies I have because I could easily post the same pictures in several places, but now All of my previous forum posts lack pics, and I only contribute here and on one other forum now, but actually I think I prefer that as I now spend a lot less time on forums which is no bad thing in my opinion.

PhotoBucket as a service is dead to me.

I would not go back to PB now even if they had a deal where they paid me to use their service.

That is not to do with having to pay for their services either as I would happily pay a modest fee for that, but it does have everything to do with how they went about things, and seemed to think it was ok to hold peoples own images to ransom. Their actions were beyond what was acceptable and were morally reprehensible.

I will not use a service that, at any point in its history, thinks it is ok to blackmail its users into paying them.

In my opinion paying for a service from them now would justify their thinking, that they were right to start charging for a free service, or at least that they were right to think they could get away with it, and will send a message to other free services that you can just get away with it even if it means a bit of pain initially. It certainly sends a message to companies that you don't have to think about how you treat people who use your services, they will just come back even if you treat them in the poorest way possible.

The only good news I could hear about PB now is that they have gone out of business.

I have no interest in engaging with any other "Free" services as I don't want to have to learn a new up load and posting procedure, and I wonder how long it would be before they follow suit anyway.

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
I totally deleted my account in response to their initial ransom demands, and I'm sure as hell not uploading all those images again, no matter if the service was free. So many hours of people's time lost, threads and even forums destroyed due to their greed. I hope they go bankrupt.

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeap. they're 100 bucks offer sounded good to me. i have over 2000 pics i wasn't prepared to switch. They've come to their senses and now allow sharing in the forums with the 100 a year plan.

namaste
miguel
I too lament the amount of lost work caused by the changes PB introduced, however I am afraid for me the damage was done when they thought they could get away with it.

The net result is for me is that I used to hold over 3000 pics with them, and contribute to over 20 different forums for different hobbies I have because I could easily post the same pictures in several places, but now All of my previous forum posts lack pics, and I only contribute here and on one other forum now, but actually I think I prefer that as I now spend a lot less time on forums which is no bad thing in my opinion.

PhotoBucket as a service is dead to me.

I would not go back to PB now even if they had a deal where they paid me to use their service.

That is not to do with having to pay for their services either as I would happily pay a modest fee for that, but it does have everything to do with how they went about things, and seemed to think it was ok to hold peoples own images to ransom. Their actions were beyond what was acceptable and were morally reprehensible.

I will not use a service that, at any point in its history, thinks it is ok to blackmail its users into paying them.

In my opinion paying for a service from them now would justify their thinking, that they were right to start charging for a free service, or at least that they were right to think they could get away with it, and will send a message to other free services that you can just get away with it even if it means a bit of pain initially. It certainly sends a message to companies that you don't have to think about how you treat people who use your services, they will just come back even if you treat them in the poorest way possible.

The only good news I could hear about PB now is that they have gone out of business.

I have no interest in engaging with any other "Free" services as I don't want to have to learn a new up load and posting procedure, and I wonder how long it would be before they follow suit anyway.
I totally deleted my account in response to their initial ransom demands, and I'm sure as hell not uploading all those images again, no matter if the service was free. So many hours of people's time lost, threads and even forums destroyed due to their greed. I hope they go bankrupt.
Thanks guys. I feel like I'm trying to decide whether to negotiate with terrorists or not. I kept my account, though I do nothing with it. $100 a year would have me back in the game though. I'm going to wind up paying someone for hosting, I will NEVER use a free service again. It kills me to think of giving it to PB simply for convenience.

·
Lurker Extraordinaire
324 Posts
I'm going to wind up paying someone for hosting, I will NEVER use a free service again. It kills me to think of giving it to PB simply for convenience.
There are a couple things here that I don't get...
First off, why the hate for free services? Yes, Photobucket kinda pulled the rug out from under everyone, and that was definitely a dick move on their part, but I don't see that as a reason to ditch free services entirely. As long as you go into it recognizing that it is indeed a free service and that that service could disappear at any time (i.e. use it, but don't rely on it), I have no problem with free services and use quite a few for different things.

And second- what could Photobucket be offering that would be worth $100 per year? I haven't actually seen the emails in question, so I don't know what $100 gets you, but if you were to sign up with an actual web host like HostGator, you could get an account with unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth for like $48/year and not have any of the stupid restrictions that places like Photobucket try to impose.
Sure, Photobucket might be a little more convenient for non-technical folk, but I firmly believe that anyone who invests about 30 minutes into learning how the internet works could be perfectly comfortable using a plain web host for hosting their images instead.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,956 Posts
WHY?

It's like a Victoria's Secret lingerie model taking a nice clean long shower after a busy runway modeling show and then put on the same dirty lingerie again.

I've never used PB (and never will).

I used Facebook and Microsoft OneDrive. I took the effort and time to learn the proper pic linking and generating the pic link HTML codes, etc.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah a $100 would get you back in the game now, but for how long, before they try another stunt to raise their prices again because they have learnt that some people will just take there BS and keep coming back for more.

As I mentioned before to me going back to them now says to PB and all other similar services that it is ok to treat people the way PB did.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm pretty happy with Flickr Pro
$45 for 2 years and you can organize, add tag, grouping..etc
Also very easy to copy embedded image link (just a button) - looks nice when used on forum (no small thumbnail look)
Click my Signature below to check it

I can also use Google photo, but that's being used for family and personal stuff.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,956 Posts
They say "you can never go back", and in this case I don't think anyone should. There are still better options for putting photos online.
--

Agreed.

It's like going back to an awful and bad ex-girlfriend/spouse who seriously screwed you over.

Sure. It may be "fun" after the first couple of times upon return, but you'll realize quickly all the reasons and problems about why you left.

Don't be a sucker. Always look ahead and never look back.

·
Pug Lord
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are a couple things here that I don't get...
First off, why the hate for free services? Yes, Photobucket kinda pulled the rug out from under everyone, and that was definitely a dick move on their part, but I don't see that as a reason to ditch free services entirely. As long as you go into it recognizing that it is indeed a free service and that that service could disappear at any time (i.e. use it, but don't rely on it), I have no problem with free services and use quite a few for different things.

And second- what could Photobucket be offering that would be worth $100 per year? I haven't actually seen the emails in question, so I don't know what $100 gets you, but if you were to sign up with an actual web host like HostGator, you could get an account with unlimited space and unlimited bandwidth for like $48/year and not have any of the stupid restrictions that places like Photobucket try to impose.
Sure, Photobucket might be a little more convenient for non-technical folk, but I firmly believe that anyone who invests about 30 minutes into learning how the internet works could be perfectly comfortable using a plain web host for hosting their images instead.
I started and stopped several times while composing a response to your questions. In the end, I deleted everything and I will just say this:

The disdain for free services is because there is nothing free. Ever. PB was "paid" for by the advertisers, hence the end user had no actual rights. Pay for a service yourself and a company begins to have certain obligations and you buy (something of ) a voice when you have problems.

Having been a computer technician for more than 3 decades, I'm really not sure what another 30 minutes spent learning how the Internet works will do to help me.

If the $100 restores the images to my old threads, there is a small amount of value to me. When someone takes an interest in my hobby and asks to see some of my work, it would be nice to send them a link that had pictures.
Beyond that, have no love for PB and not even very much like, I feel much the same as anyone else here does.

·
OSW Member
2,257 Posts
-
OH _ELL NO!!! After deleting around 1100 photos last year. (I had a paid subscription) For the past 7 months I've been using Fotki photo hosting site (a paid subscription)
and I've been very happy with them. Indeed I also hope Photobucket goes bankrupt.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I must be grandfathered in. I've had a pay account for 3-4 years now.
And they have allowed me to use it like normal. And it's cheap in
caparison to the new accounts they're trying to get all the free accounts on.
Mine is still only $29.99/year and has billed as such just last month.

I think they're less likely to force something on the existing pay accounts
they already had.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I started and stopped several times while composing a response to your questions. In the end, I deleted everything and I will just say this:

The disdain for free services is because there is nothing free. Ever. PB was "paid" for by the advertisers, hence the end user had no actual rights. Pay for a service yourself and a company begins to have certain obligations and you buy (something of ) a voice when you have problems.

Having been a computer technician for more than 3 decades, I'm really not sure what another 30 minutes spent learning how the Internet works will do to help me.

If the $100 restores the images to my old threads, there is a small amount of value to me. When someone takes an interest in my hobby and asks to see some of my work, it would be nice to send them a link that had pictures.
Beyond that, have no love for PB and not even very much like, I feel much the same as anyone else here does.
on the subject of old photo lost forever ,

Photobucket Hotlink Fix - Chrome Web Store

i use this and it gives me total access to all my held to ransom photo bucket photos for free

cant vouch for on safety issues ,but only speak as i find ,and ive had it installed around 12 months and had no problems i know about :)

with out it these would have been lost to me forever

pictures of our bonnies first days with us

telling John Schneider that after being so charming to my wife and daughter that he was their superman and giving him a custom mego my daughter made for him :)

i also transferred them to my computer while i had the chance in a smash and grab style snatchback :lol

hope this helps

·
1:6 enthusiast
2,052 Posts
Nothing showing....
Nothing is showing because you're not using Firefox or Chrome with the Photobucket fix installed. Buddy dog posted the Chrome hotfix link above and here's the Firefox fix: Photobucket Hotlink Fix - Add-ons for Firefox

I have three browsers installed on my computer. I prefer MS Edge (though it lacks a Photobucket fix) and my son prefers Chrome. I also keep Firefox around as a backup browser. It's a bit of a pain but when I run into a forum thread or website with Photobucket images, I just copy the address and paste it into a different browser. That seems to work nearly 100% of the time unless the images are hosted by an account that has since been deleted by the user.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts