One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't write on the forums a lot, but i always check around whats new and what others post.Thank you all for your bashes, reviews etc...
Especially the last 5 years, collecting pricey figures is out of my financial reach so, for one more reason i don't have really anything to post.
John Connor hot toys figure from terminator salvation, was one of my most favorite purchases, so i felt really hurt when in my last attempt
repose him his jacket cracked in my fingers, the patch on his sleeve just fell off, cracks appeared from nowhere etc.
I know that this is something that happened almost to everyone that has that same figure, but really made me feel bad and i know you are
the only ones that will understand me, thus, the cause of this post.
Lately i only collect the cheap 12 inch hasbro figures when i find something i like.
Be well and keep up the lovely posts!

·
1:6 collector
2,105 Posts
I will have to check mine. Does anyone know if there is anything that would repair or at least arrest/preempt such a development? The only time I have witnessed something that sounded similar was a Hasbro (or Kenner) 12-inch Imperial Gunner from Star Wars, whose pleather quilted top began to disintegrate in my hands (strangely enough another one of the same figure had no such problem, which makes me think that the storage environment and temperature might have made the difference). I also recently came across post somewhere that rubber skin lasts longer if it "breathes" and perhaps something like that is true of pleather?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen some people disguise cracks and tears in "pleather" as weathering. It's already deteriorated so might as well try to make it part of the overall look of the jacket.
Yes, i saw a few ideas around and i was thinking about it, for now it is off the figure and i am looking at it trying to figure out if i can fix it or burn it :/
thank you

·
Registered
249 Posts
Try to find a black/dark green combat jacket, mate. That way, you could mimic the final battle version (i hate leather jackets anyways), works like a charm! At least, that's what i did. And yeah, Hot toys never fails to piss us collectors off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Try to find a black/dark green combat jacket, mate. That way, you could mimic the final battle version (i hate leather jackets anyways), works like a charm! At least, that's what i did. And yeah, Hot toys never fails to piss us collectors off.
:thumb

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Got that right! Pissed me off when they deliberately switched the HK416 and the M4A1! What kind of sick people would do that?!?!
I really like the look of the brown bomber jacket + tiger stripe pants combo and hope to find a fix for it when time permits.

@Ikarus - You might've seen this already, but I'll post the link anyway. TheSkull did a video review of the replacement jacket but unfortunately its hard to find now according to him.

Replacement Jacket for Hot Toys John Connor

·
Procastinatus Excelentus
1,225 Posts
I rarely check up in here anymore, but this is one of the big things that made me stop buying sets (this and the first black widow's suit)

I was heart broken when I retrieved some of my custom figures from storage at my parents house and most of their stuff was cracked, but what hurt me the most was connor's sick ass bomber jacket.

I've replaced it for a weathered TAD jacket but it still feels wrong.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Seems this thread comes up every few years...LOL

Real leather is the answer. That pleather on John's jacket has
material underneath. Just start peeling away the pleather
and cover it with real leather cut to fit each area.
And yes, you can find leather in the right colors and thickness(1oz or smaller).

If you can sew then that's the way to go.
Surprisingly if not that costly either.
You can a sq ft for $6-$10 and you only need 2 colors.

I normally get the leather from this guy.

http://stores.ebay.com/theleatherguy/

·
Cobra Infantry Commander
3,785 Posts

And yes, you can find leather in the right colors and thickness(1oz or smaller).

neat idea, even if i dont think i can sew! it does seem as though 1/6 companies should use real leather. the cost might go up...but hey, if it keeps the figures outfits from tearing...then why not pay more for quality?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks to everyone for your replies.

That's a great idea!!, i don't sew well but if i go really slow i guess i can pull it off! There are a couple stores
that sell leather near the place i work, i will check them out for thicknesses and colors!!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I don't write on the forums a lot, but i always check around whats new and what others post.Thank you all for your bashes, reviews etc...
Especially the last 5 years, collecting pricey figures is out of my financial reach so, for one more reason i don't have really anything to post.
John Connor hot toys figure from terminator salvation, was one of my most favorite purchases, so i felt really hurt when in my last attempt
repose him his jacket cracked in my fingers, the patch on his sleeve just fell off, cracks appeared from nowhere etc.
I know that this is something that happened almost to everyone that has that same figure, but really made me feel bad and i know you are
the only ones that will understand me, thus, the cause of this post.
Lately i only collect the cheap 12 inch hasbro figures when i find something i like.
Be well and keep up the lovely posts!
I know this is an old post but I've been searching for "how to make a real leather jacket for John Conner." and ran into this post. I thought perhaps my two cents would be relevant. I will be opening mine up soon for the very first time since I bought it when it came out and it's been siting in the shipper box (opened). I've opened the clam shelled Styrofoam art box but have never removed the weapons and accessories plastic insert from the Styrofoam or the action figure. I will have to do so for the very first time since everyone's saying that the leather jacket cracks. I can't see any cracks but it does have two greyish marks on the sleeve and the chest area I think. I'm thinking this is some type of reaction to the humidity build up or something since he's enclosed in there pretty good. Of course, I do realize that you may not "see" the cracks at first but will crack once the jacket is played with some. I try to keep the temperature at around 77 degrees; I recently put in a Bluetooth enabled hygrometer into the box and put him back into the shipper box. It seems to be at around 81 degrees with a humidity level of 40%. Given its such a small box I'm not sure if this is good or bad. I do believe that even at optimum levels this jacket will still crack. I have been reading up on humidity and temperatures and according to a manual from the Western Australian Museum these levels are acceptable for soft materials but then again they're more than likely not talking about pleathers and rubber vinyl materials. So I will be doing a YouTube video on opening up the figure for the very first time since 2009 was it that this figure came out? Good luck to all you OSWs.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I've already had experience with pleather cracking; my Hot Toys Winter Soldier Black Widow had cracking on the sides of the bodysuit by the time I sold it off, and my A New Hope Han Solo has started to crack on the folds and creases of its boots.

Some people have apparently had luck with using vinyl care and conditioner products to extend the life of their pleather products, so I bought some Autoglym vinyl and rubber care spray and have applied it to all my figures' pleather boots. Next, I'll be applying it to my Star Ace Selene.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts