Votes: 29 43.9%
  • Brown (prop accurate)

Votes: 37 56.1%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Taking over the World
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sideshow just opened up orders for their Han Solo in Hoth gear. While I wish they would just give you both, they do offer the option of the brown or blue parka.

Brown has come to light as the prop accurate color, but it just appeared blueish. Blue of course is the one we grew up with as that's what the action figure was.

It took me a long thought process as to which to choose. Real tough for some reason, but I went with blue as that holds tons of memories of hours in the snow playing with my Hoth toys. I guess I can always pick up the brown loose.

Out of curiosity, what would you all choose, even if you're not buying it but had the choice?

Attachments

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,917 Posts
Sideshow could/should have included both coats for the same price as a courtesy to their collectors/customers as a sign of appreciation & loyalty, but that is alien to the powers that be at Sideshow.

It's all about the $.

·
Switched to Lurking...
693 Posts
The Hasbro Han in Hoth gear that came with that awful Taun-taun has a brown coat. That figure is actually not to bad with better molded more to scale hands, and fairly good details to the uniform and gear.

·
Funk Ninja
3,649 Posts
I'd probably be in for the brown just because I like the look a bit better, and would have a bit more potential uses for bashes too.

·
1:6 film/scifi/historical
11,540 Posts
Well I made a Custom Hoth Han with brown, now I wish it was blue...bugger....cheers SSC...

·
Registered
522 Posts
I haven't heard this much collector griping in a long time. To even the HT Thor sleeved or sleeveless was this bad. Everyone is so displeased with Sideshow's decision to produce two versions of the exact same thing with nothing different apart from the colour of a coat. I agree with most that two coats could have been a perfectly decent idea. The exclusive could have easily been the extra head or some other accessory but this coat nonsense is just baffling. At $200 a pop this is too much to have to think through.

Now to answer the OP question... I don't know. I can't choose between the two. Does that mean I have to buy both?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I feel like the whole Blue/Brown thing has been an ongoing thing for a long time. It's kind of like the debate over the amount of weathering on Luke's X-Wing Helmet (depending on episode) or a Biker Scout having off white or white cloth pouches. I just have a hard time getting worked up about them giving us the option versus not. Sideshow isn't a charity afterall and the jacket is probably one of the more expensive parts on the figure.

It'd be like getting angry at a car maker for releasing the same car in more than one color and not throwing in a second, differently colored body, for free. In the end it's a preference and an option, not an entitlement.

Either way I'm going to get the brown one, for screen accuracy.

·
Jack's Smirking Revenge
307 Posts
I have always liked the brown coat.
I was always confused with the vintage han solo hoth figure's coat
being blue.

But the fact that they are selling 2 versions of the figure instead of
1 with both coats is just a little pathetic, even for them.

·
My heater's broke...
1,147 Posts
I disagree. They did the best they could do- offer consumers a choice. To include both coats would have jacked up the cost of the figure. Plus he can only wear one coat at a time anyway. To offer only one coat would have invited the torches and pitchforks from the non-chosen color camp. With a choice you can buy what u want.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I pre-ordered both. For me, both of them have massive nostalgic appeal. On the one hand, the Kenner figure had the blue coat and that was the one I played with in the snow with (ah, happy times...).

But the 1/6th Han with Tauntaun was the first exclusive figure I bought on my own that didn't involve searching on the aftermarket. I thought I had missed out getting it; drove 100 miles to a Toys R Us to get it and didn't see a single one on the shelf with the regular Star Wars figures. I was about to leave dejected when I heard a small child say to his mother "Wow, that's big! What is that?" The mother said Tauntaun and I spun around and saw an end cap full of them.

Sadly, I had to sell that Han & Tauntaun set when I fell on hard times a couple of years later. But I've steadily rebuilt my action figure collection and look forward to having the higher quality versions in my collection. The price though is waaaaaay higher than that old Hasbro set. I might have to cancel my pre-order for Snake Plissken just to keep from going broke!

:thumb :thumb for both!

·
Registered
743 Posts
I might have to cancel my pre-order for Snake Plissken just to keep from going broke!

:thumb :thumb for both![/quote]

Noooooooooooooooo....I know the feeling but don't give up on Snake...you still have blood to sell right?

I was disappointed in the decision to do 2 separate figures at $200 a pop, should have just had 2 jackets as the exclusive. I think they were deliberately trying to play into another Star Wars fan fight kind of like the Han shot first debate. They want to create a fan buzz and this kind of thing does just that.

I can't decide which I would want, I'm not to bothered either way....I'll take whichever is going cheaper....so I think more people will want the "screen accurate" brown, making the blue the underdog to be discounted but then become the rare sought after version :wink

Now where is the Slave Leia figure we all want so bad :drool

I wonder if they will do 3 different Rebel Snow Troopers like they did with the Endor troopers.

·
I'm BACK!!
21,878 Posts
You could always buy a blue one and get the brown coat later on eBay. Or, if the figure turns out to suck and the hat is detachable, you can make a custom Hoth Han later out of parts from this figure.

CHEERS!

·
Registered
491 Posts
I only pre-ordered the brown version, though I get why people who are nostalgic for the kenner toys want the blue. I think most of the Star Wars nuts came to the realization that this coat was brown back in '96. It would've been nice if you got both with one purchase. In any case, it's time to complete the Hoth trilogy and by that I mean Leia, not the Wampa :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts