One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks - looking for images - bashes or real of peoples NON UDT halo or haho figures...believe it or not - a search of the site is ball aching and not that productive.....so post away - need some inspiration!thanks

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,365 Posts
Gooseman, there are not a lot of current and/or accurate images of Military Freefall (MFF) jumpers available on the web. Believe me, I have searched (I don't now WHAT was up with that guy on site with the wierd characters above. He was JACKED UP). The link below has some "just OK" images,and they're the best that I have found. I'm currently deployed to OIF, but when I return, I plan on going to the Group Rigger Shed and taking some digital pics of the gear so that I can post them for reference. But, until then...

http://www.batnet.com/mfwright/miljump.html

Pay special attention the the MC4 rig sitting by itself with the O2 bottles installed. (check out the pouch). This is the ONLY proper way to install O2 bottles on a US Army MFF rig. Unfortunately, as far as I know, 21st Century is the only 1:6 manufacturer to produce this style of pouch. You can find them sometimes, usually mislabeled, sold loose, or with the 21C HALO jumper fig or uniform set. Another consideration is that O2 is not mandatory for all MFF jumps (even HAHO), you can go (officially) to at least 12,500 feet without it.

Use care when you are choosing the gear for your fig. The chute that came with the BBI SASR HALO fig is just one or two points off from being a spot-on accurate replica of the MC4 Ram Air Parachute System as used by the US Military. Good luck finding one. The US Army hasn't jumped that grey "Double X" in quite a while.

Another thing: make sure that your fig's gear is properly secured. Anything that is not taped or tied down WILL come loose in freefall (remember, you're moving at approximately 125 MPH) and either smack the daylights out of you, or be blown off, never to be seen again, that's one reason that you won't see an MFF jumper with a knife strapped to his ankle or a thigh rig for his holster. Another, potentially deadly reason is that any loose gear can also cause a malfunction by snagging the canopy during deployment. ALL straps are secured by retaining bands (rubber bands) or, on the ruck, masking tape. You NEVER just hang carabiners, magazines, EMT scissors, strobe lights, etc. ANYWHERE on your harness. That's why the strobe light is always secured to the back of the helmet with velcro and elastic bands, and any chem lights are secured with two rubber bands, one on each end, when they are used during night jumps.

Now, as much as people are complaining about the BBI 2005 anniversary figure, in the pics on Merit International's site his long gun is close to being properly rigged. his sling is out of place (it would not run over the shoulder like that), and you can't see the tiedown points, but the location is good

LBE/LBV/Chest Rigs can be worn on the body, but everything must be secured. Also, it's not unusual to have it packed inside the ruck.

This is a small thing, but when wearing BDUs you always button the top button and tuck the collar inside the blouse. This keeps the collar from leaving a red welt on your face where it was flapping against it during the entire freefall.

Boots are up to the jumper's discretion or unit SOP.

There are a couple of helmets allowed to be worn, but most common is the Gentex. Again, the one that comes with the BBI SASR HALO Jumper is the BEST that I've seen (I haven't seen any HT figs up close, so, I can't comment on their helmets). It is accurate down to the ventilation slots on the goggles.

In the US Army, the altimeter is always worn on the left wrist, however, there is no regulation against a backup.

One last thing: the M1950 weapons Case is not used during MFF operations. It would catch air and cause an unrecoverable spin.

I know that this is a long post, but you asked for input, and I feel that it should be accurate. One of my pet peeves is figures with their gear improperly rigged.

So, anyway, I look forward to seeing pics of your fig on the site.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I archived a copy of this thread to Modern Forces, some great real deal info. Without this kind of input, we can only stumble thru whatever resources we can find. Tho O2 isn't mandatory on even some HAHO jumps, is that practiced very often?

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,365 Posts
pukingdog said:
I archived a copy of this thread to Modern Forces, some great real deal info. Without this kind of input, we can only stumble thru whatever resources we can find. Tho O2 isn't mandatory on even some HAHO jumps, is that practiced very often?
Not as often as most guys would like PD. This is due mostly to time and logistical support requirements. There is a lot of additional gear - O2 console, O2 masks, aircrew O2 equipment - that require time and resources to prep, fill, install, utilize, derig, service, and return to storage.

Also, there are lot's of other training requirements that must be met by HALO teams that make non-O2 jumps much more practical from a time management perspective.

Rest assured, the teams are well trained on O2 jumps, it just doesn't happen as often as they would like. BTW, that's SF "A" Teams, not SEAL Teams. I don't claim to know anything about SEAL training requirements.

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,365 Posts
Hyper, Griz, Goose.

I enjoy getting accurate, up-to-date info out there guys. As a certain 1:6 figure likes to say: "Knowing is half the battle".

PD. I'll hit up my buddy at the Rigger shed as soon as I get back (well, AFTER some family time) to get in there to take some pics. Now that I think about it, the Airborne and Special Operations Museum in Fayetteville has an excellent example of a HALO jumper hanging in the Atrium, as well a WWII jumper.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
We really appreciate it, Steve. Particularly as you're taking the time out for us while you're doing the job.

·
A Stickler for Accuracy
4,365 Posts
dandid said:
Does HALO jumpers ever use Urban Camo ?Just wondering.
That depends on the mission Dandid.

A HALO jump, as cool as it is, does the same as any other infil method; it gets you to the fight. What you will be doing once you hit the ground determines what type of uniform you'll be wearing. Of course, depending on the altitude, and type of jump, you can wear some cold weather gear over your uniform for warmth.

Now, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by urban camo. The camo patterns worn by the US Army are: Woodland BDUs, 3 color DCUs, and now, the ACU (aircrew flightsuits are issued in solid colors). There is no specific urban camo uniform issued to US troops.

I hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.