One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
Neither Greed, nor Obliviousness, nor Stupidity. I think you're seeing issues where none exist. The seller listed this for $59,900 or "Best Offer." Soliciting "Best Offers" is the point of it. As I recall, E-Bay doesn't let you list an item simply for "Best Offer," so you've got to state a Buy It Now price. So the seller put in a "Buy It Now" that is obviously arbitrary, and made it so unrealistically high that it doesn't reveal what Offers he might actually entertain -- while it probably communicates, this is an expensive item, don't bother me with $20 offers. You might not handle a sale this way, or you may think it's a counterproductive method, but it's not out of line.

Reactions: KamenRider

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
But don’t most people who put in an obnoxiously high value like that only accept BOs that are within a certain limited percentage point of the BIN price? At least, that’s always been my understanding. Either way, listing it that high is just beyond stupid as it makes people laugh, or just shake their head and move on.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
In some cases Yes (wanting offers that are a pre-determined % of the BiN), but for other sellers, No. For example, if he doesn't want to show his cards, hopes to realistically get $1000, but would be pleasantly surprised if someone offers $1500. Saying the obnoxiously high value preserves the Fog of War. Probably he figures that all who "laugh, or just shake their head and move on" wouldn't meet his price range anyway.

Also - he could just be using EBay purely as a convenience to show his items to an established clientele, who know enough to disregard the BiN and contact him for the real bargaining. The BiN actually must be so high no one would really take it, because (whether to existing customers or not), this is often a way to avoid paying EBay, telling them that after all the free exposure the item didn't sell for $59,900. Whatever happens afterwards is a private sale that Ebay never sees. Again I wouldn't do these things but they can be explained. I wouldn't say they are "beyond stupid".

Reactions: cdn_rhino

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,115 Posts
$599 is still too high.
It's actually a pretty average price for the markets right now. Is it high? Yes. It's not even the highest price going right now. Actually is at the lower end of most of the sale prices right now.

But even loose ones are commanding that price, and they're selling. These are disappearing now. New collectors and hobbyists want them, that didn't know about them before. In comparison to new figure prices right now, a NIB one of these is actually quite decent at that price.

I know personally know of at least 3 that have been thrown out in the last few years because the owners didn't get their asking price (even lower than $500 USD), or just couldn't sell them because of postage costs, or even lack of interest (goes in waves really). So, they are in fact disappearing from the market. For every one that gets scrapped, the market shrinks and drives up the cost.

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's actually a pretty average price for the markets right now. Is it high? Yes. It's not even the highest price going right now. Actually is at the lower end of most of the sale prices right now.

But even loose ones are commanding that price, and they're selling. These are disappearing now. New collectors and hobbyists want them, that didn't know about them before. In comparison to new figure prices right now, a NIB one of these is actually quite decent at that price.

I know personally know of at least 3 that have been thrown out in the last few years because the owners didn't get their asking price (even lower than $500 USD), or just couldn't sell them because of postage costs, or even lack of interest (goes in waves really). So, they are in fact disappearing from the market. For every one that gets scrapped, the market shrinks and drives up the cost.
--

I own a fleet of them (MIB/NRFB). They are the ones that came with the pilot figure in the black colored box. It was the last iteration of the craft before 21STCT folded. I purchased the lot from a former 21STCT employee.

If I decided to sell them now and say my price is $600.00 each plus $100.00 to cover shipping and insurance, would I be accused of being greedy, a scalper, an opportunist, oblivious, ignorant, etc.?

No. I'm not selling any of mine. If I did, I do it in person at a collector show . . . maybe.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,115 Posts
I own a fleet of them (MIB/NRFB). They are the ones that came with the pilot figure in the black colored box. It was the last iteration of the craft before 21STCT folded. I purchased the lot from a former 21STCT employee.

If I decided to sell them now and say my price is $600.00 each plus $100.00 to cover shipping and insurance, would I be accused of being greedy, a scalper, an opportunist, oblivious, ignorant, etc.?

No. I'm not selling any of mine. If I did, I do it in person at a collector show . . . maybe.
From what we can see on Ebay right now, that would seem like a fairly average market price. But who can actually decide whether it is scalping or not? It's not like there are rules or guidelines to say it is, or not.

·
One Sixth Junkie
6,325 Posts
The price now is US $599.00, do you think he might have mistyped it before?
Wouldn't be a bad typo if somebody had bought it.
I thought so...I thought it was a typo.

$599 is still too high.
When were these made? About 20 years ago? Yeah, when they first came out, they were like under $50, but they don't make this anymore. Which means the more years that they are out of production, the more valuable they become. I picked up mine for about $150, but this was like over 10 years ago.

No, I would not think this, because that is what the market place is at. Why not sell your little bird for what the going rate is? I mean for 21C to fire up the molds to make this again...I would imagine it would cost...$300 or more. Your not taking into the factor of inflation and material cost now. I mean are you really thinking of selling it for the price you bought it for, $50? No! That would be crazy.
Take a look at the GI Joe aircraft carrier...when they first came out, they were I think $100 and everybody was saying...that is a crazy price on this! Now look at what these go for? Over $1000 used and with missing parts...over $5000 for virtually new... Supply demand. It is the market place which drives the prices. Are you saying that they should sell these piece for a little higher (because of inflation) than what they bought it for? Let's say $200...or $300...now come on...the market place just doesn't work the way you want it to... Rolex Daytona...dealers were giving them away with other purchases of their Rolex watches in the 60's because they were so unpopular then...now look at the price of these!

Supply and demand...

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
It's a fairly average asking market price, apparently. Actual completed sales seem to be more in the range of $220-$300, although some of those seem to be loose or even incomplete.

I note that, as cdn Rhino pointed out in another thread, some people think in terms of scalping even for items made long ago, but in my mind there is a big distinction between the immediate aftermarket vs the almost "historical" resales. Also, in fairness to some people roughly accused of being scalpers, there is also the genuine instance where someone may be thinking "I love this item and I want to keep it for myself but if someone really really wants/needs one, and puts their money where their mouth is, I'll give it up and buy myself something else." That kind of thinking is legitimately not a scalper. It only applies if you have the single item though -- an excuse that can't be used if someone is scalping two dozen.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts