12,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
See subject.

eBay Item #373753018695

Font Display device Electronic device Multimedia Advertising

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Neither Greed, nor Obliviousness, nor Stupidity. I think you're seeing issues where none exist. The seller listed this for $59,900 or "Best Offer." Soliciting "Best Offers" is the point of it. As I recall, E-Bay doesn't let you list an item simply for "Best Offer," so you've got to state a Buy It Now price. So the seller put in a "Buy It Now" that is obviously arbitrary, and made it so unrealistically high that it doesn't reveal what Offers he might actually entertain -- while it probably communicates, this is an expensive item, don't bother me with $20 offers. You might not handle a sale this way, or you may think it's a counterproductive method, but it's not out of line.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
But don’t most people who put in an obnoxiously high value like that only accept BOs that are within a certain limited percentage point of the BIN price? At least, that’s always been my understanding. Either way, listing it that high is just beyond stupid as it makes people laugh, or just shake their head and move on.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
In some cases Yes (wanting offers that are a pre-determined % of the BiN), but for other sellers, No. For example, if he doesn't want to show his cards, hopes to realistically get $1000, but would be pleasantly surprised if someone offers $1500. Saying the obnoxiously high value preserves the Fog of War. Probably he figures that all who "laugh, or just shake their head and move on" wouldn't meet his price range anyway.

Also - he could just be using EBay purely as a convenience to show his items to an established clientele, who know enough to disregard the BiN and contact him for the real bargaining. The BiN actually must be so high no one would really take it, because (whether to existing customers or not), this is often a way to avoid paying EBay, telling them that after all the free exposure the item didn't sell for $59,900. Whatever happens afterwards is a private sale that Ebay never sees. Again I wouldn't do these things but they can be explained. I wouldn't say they are "beyond stupid".

Reactions: cdn_rhino
1 - 5 of 5 Posts