One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took a while, but Triad released a limited edition of "Avalon" which is Raven with a phenomenal paint job and a very cool hair style. Yes the mold looks like the original Triad Raven (Only better) and its from a run of only 25.

In short, I couldn't be happier.

K1

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,923 Posts
I believe l know the seller he brought it from.

If it's who I think it is, there is a story to be told . . . for later.

·
12,923 Posts
I checked and there is a back story to be told about Karaya1’s procurement of AVALON (#18 out of 25).

You see I was the original owner of Karya1’s AVALON #18. I purchased two AVALON figures from Triad Toys after the 2012 SDCC. This was around when they were still active and announced their “Artisan” line of figures of which AVALON was the very first. She had a production run of supposedly 25. The two I receive were #18 and another, but I can’t remember the production number. It's lower than #18. I purchased one for myself and another for a friend wanted one.

The “Artisan” figure was Triad’s attempt to produce a limited run of figure using custom bits and pieces. The head sculpts were stock head sculpts that Louie or possibly someone assisting him modified (i.e. repaint, re-root, cutting/styling of the rooted hair, etc.). The figures were hand assembled and sold in a generic black box with a black plastic tray that holds the figures with accessories and includes a certificate of authenticity. AVALON retailed around $225.00 USD if I remember correctly.

AVALON #1 sold on eBay last year to another collector (I personally knew) for a little north of $300.00.

The second and last “Artisan” figure produced by Triad Toys was AERYN AERHART. I own her as well. Mine is #1 out of 25.

My friend procured AVALON #18 from me last year. My friend was initially impressed with the figure, but ultimately decided to part with the figure and posted it on eBay. I’m guessing Karaya1 purchased the figure from my friend.

The AVALON figure to the best of my knowledge used the RAVEN head sculpt which he has been seeking for a while, but again it’s customized to the figure.

I congratulate him in his 1:6 “holy grail” procurement.

In a very roundabout way, Karaya1 did finally procure his RAVEN head sculpt as a complete figure from me.

Go figure.

·
OSW Admin staff
5,758 Posts
I saw that there were parts of this figure for sale including her feet and hands on eBay just last week, interesting that after all this time someone might be able to bash this figure together if they bought all the right parts...more interesting was that someone was willing to break this figure down and sell her for parts...:dunno

anyway, congrats on getting one...she is special, now that Triad is no more...she probably has become even more :thumb

G

·
Congratulations on your purchase

Yeah its Saff with straightened hair. Looks nice though. That suit looks like the suit from the Vanity figure.

I was the one who won the little shoes from ebay last week on the parted out Avalon.

·
12,923 Posts
SO . . .

It's the Saffron head and not Raven?

WELL . . .

"I'm so mad about Saffron."

·
Banned
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's the same mold that was used for Raven, and the other two. They did take liberties with color changes, but to be honest, this is the finest quality Triad figure I've ever seen. The paint job is so cool it "glistens". She actually has a twinkle in her eyes when I shine a halogen flash light on her. I'm in the process of bashing her the way I want.

She's going to have a "Jade" flavor (Not her hair). I love the short hair do and (had I gotten a proper "Raven") I would have cut her hair in a "Jade" style. But Triad did such a professional job of her hair, it saved me the alteration. They did leave that one long lock of hair and I think it will remain. But this mold looks like the one I posted which you guys called the Promo photo. I also think I'll lean towards the "Lara Croft" outfit. In Avalon's case, "Less is more".

For the last year I had "Triad Raven" on my alert status that I checked twice a day and as soon as Avalon came up, I pulled the trigger and made the seller a proper offer and it was a win/win situation. This was a long hunt, but I kept checking and asking retailers on line if they had connections and there were none to be had.

I think my 1/6 hunting is over unless they release an Oswald Böelcke figure. They did release that pathetic "Manfred Böelcke" in a WWII livery that was just unnecessary. They tried to get 200 U.S. for them at first now (Like Adolf Galland) the price is coming down to 50.00 U.S. The same thing happened to the Erich Hartmann figure and I think I bought two at 49.00 U.S. but none of the die cast companies have released a Böelcke Albatross D.II yet so I'm not holding my breath on a 1/6th Böelcke. I'm sure most of you don't know who he was.

I'll upload pictures of Avalon once I get her finished. But the bottom line is, this "Avalon" is better than any of the other Triad molds I had seen. Because the head sculpt is so nicely done, I think the less accessories I use the better.

And thanks to those of you who congratulated me.

K1

·
Registered
574 Posts
Raven and Amber shared the same headsculpt, but the head that you have is Saffron who shares the headsculpt with Sienna. But it's a nice figure overall, it's just the head you have isn't actually Raven.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I cant believe you guys are so excited about this... I bought one directly from Triad at SDCC the year they came out and I have to say my absolute biggest disappointment in a figure. Her hands and feet pop off if you look at her, her outfit cannot properly stay positioned over her disproportioned "rack" and the would-be cool-leather straps slide down her thighs and arms. Her sword sheath is super cheap and flaps around like crap and that long strand of hair usually ends up looking silly the way it flops around as well. I initially thought the "spider eyes" night vision visor was cool but it doesn't stay together (2 part hinged thing) and it doesn't fit that well over her head either. Her metal sword is of the cheapest design, literally stamped out of metal and wrapped handle. I was the biggest advocate for Triad (Love Jade Van Helsing, best figure they did and was really hoping we were to see Red Riding Hood Zombie Slayer some day).

This "Art Figure Limited Release" was $190 at SDCC, it is worth about $75 at best, her face does not have any of the shine and luster to me, it is just the super typical dead stare of their other figures like Barb Wire, Ghost, Lolita assassin girl (I have all those, they are all more fun to pose and have better clothes and accessories and I paid under $100 for all of them).

I still mean to pick up a couple of the other Dead Cell girls but have totally lost the impetus after this one.

And although Triad is mostly gone, we still get some terrible Zoe Saldana figure coming out soon so we can be plagued with more disappointment with what once was a great company.

·
Banned
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I only got the Head Sculpt. I agree with the rest of your comments. This is why I'm bashing her on an Alpha Medium breast, more Athletic figure and didn't go for any of the accessories but the Head Sculpt is the best I've seen.

I do agree, I have Jade and she is wonderful. I just wish I would have gotten a Jade with the more classic black/White hair color. Mine is more white than black.

·
12,923 Posts
And although Triad is mostly gone, we still get some terrible Zoe Saldana figure coming out soon so we can be plagued with more disappointment with what once was a great company.
--

Unlikely.

BIG BAD TOY STORE recently de-listed/removed a few figures announced how long along from their site and the Catalina figure has yet to materialize and the @ $ $hole(s) behind/running Triad Toys haven't posted/said jack since the initial announcement about a year ago. They haven't offered anything new either other than the last batch of overpriced/repackaged ALPHA bodies with new head sculpts and one piece outfits.

They were a great company, but they made too many mistakes and burned any/all good will they had with their dedicated customers because they cut too many corners to save $ where it completely worked against them.

·
I've been Minimoyzed
14,080 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts