One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a series of questions that I can't find an answer to on this forum, so I thought I would post them all in one thread...

Have you ever glued parts of clothing together for a better look?

I have a shirt that needs to be tucked into the pants of a figure, and I was thinking about fabritacking them together to they would stay the way I want them to look. I am also thinking about gluing a vest to a dress shirt to keep it from moving around. Any problems you can see with this?

Have you ever glued or sewn the clothing of a figure to make it look good, then hidden unsightly glue seams or tucks on the back of a figure, or under a coat where they couldn't be seen?

I was thinking about making a shirt fit more skin tight on the figure, but without popping all the seams and sewing them back together, the only other way to achieve the look would be to pull extra fabric to the back of the figure and glue or tack the fold with some thread. This fold would be hidden under an overcoat, but then that overcoat could never be taken off. Are shortcuts like these bad form?

Do figure modelers ever glue the joints solid to lock in a certain pose?

I have seen some amazing customs here, but it looks like the figure may be glued to prevent it from being reposed. Especially the soldier figures made to look like they are jumping over something.

·
BioChem Division
1,207 Posts
i pretty much glue EVERYTHING down permanently. i'd rather lose the "functionality" of the object and gain a realistic look, by gluing down clothing folds or objects. i even glue down pouches after filling them with ammo, even though you will never see the ammo from the outside, i still glue it all down so that the pouch "slims" down and "hangs" exactly the right way with the right folds... regardless if i can never access the magazines ever again.

i guess you have to make a decision, are you more inclined to bash a figure for displaying? or do you actually like to play with your figures (nothing wrong with that ;))? for me personally i prefer the display look since, once i finish a figure it goes on the stand in a pose and is usually never touched again (except to dust off occasionally). or maybe once in a while to switch out the pose in case im bored of the other one.

although i have never glued joints into place for sake of posing, but if you are doing a specific diorama, i cant see how this is avoided

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just ran a test fitting of one of the figure projects I have going. I noticed a few problem areas. If you have ever encountered these, feel free to share a workaround I may not be thinking of.

The figure has a shirt, then a vest, then an overcoat. This is a lot of buildup making the figure look bulky in parts. I am using a Hot Toys Truetype body and the shoulders are massive. I am thinking of cutting the back off the vest off and gluing or sewing the front part of the vest onto the shirt. It will be hidden by the overcoat, which will never come off the figure. I am thinking about gluing the overcoat to the body in places to create a more streamlined look.

The pants are fastened by a small snap, which looks fine when closed. But after adding a leather belt to the pants, there is a bulge where the buckle covers the snap on the pants. I guess I could remove the snap and sew the pants closed, then glue the buckle down to cut down on the bulge?

·
Eagle Eye Joe
2,580 Posts
The pants are fastened by a small snap, which looks fine when closed. But after adding a leather belt to the pants, there is a bulge where the buckle covers the snap on the pants. I guess I could remove the snap and sew the pants closed, then glue the buckle down to cut down on the bulge?
You can remove the snap altogether. If the belt actually works like a real belt and you can get it tight, it will keep the pants together. If that doesn't work, you can always sew the snap back on. I have done this in the past with real working belts. You can also move the snap down a few mm and still use the belt as described. I've done that too with mixed results. You can also buy a variety of snaps at the clothing store, or Wal-Mart. Some of them are very small which will decrease the size of said bulge. You can get them in the usual chrome or a nice flat black finish.
I really hate to glue anything together unless I know I won't ever use it for anything else. When I do use glue for this kind of stuff, its always Fabritac.

·
collagen & botox expert
341 Posts
hello all,

if you ever wanted on glueing any clothing down for your 1/6 figures; my best advise is to use "uhu glue" not sure if it is available in your part of the world but using it has better benefits compared to using "super glue" or "crazy glue" because uhu glue tend to be "softer" after it catalyst and if anything it can be washed later with a bit of scrubbing ...cheers

·
Registered
521 Posts
Personally, i really do not like to sew. I use a handheld sewing machine-stapler-like thingy to do the minimal sewing. And since i'm a surgeon, i sew like i'm suturing. Haha. When i can avoid it, i don't sew. I just fold the excess cloth and glue em in place. I use fabritac or a hot gluegun.

·
Furious Genius
1,973 Posts
There's a few fabric glues available, I use Fabric Tac, and found it very useful. There are times when stitching, if unseen, is tedious so I resort to glue. Doesn't take much and holds well.

·
storyteller
34 Posts
Have you ever glued parts of clothing together for a better look?
Yes, back when I started customizing in 1:6. I used to essentially sew the clothing onto the figure. Now though, I'm better at sewing and don't like to limit myself. If you sew or glue the clothing on, you're limiting what you can do with that figure. (which is ok, but not for me since I can't afford endless bodies & heads)

Have you ever glued or sewn the clothing of a figure to make it look good, then hidden unsightly glue seams or tucks on the back of a figure, or under a coat where they couldn't be seen?
As someone else in the thread stated, sewing the tucks or darts into the fabric is often more forgiving than using something more permanent like glue. in my past experience (compared with my recent) it takes almost as much hassle to glue something properly as it does to sew it. (again this is all my opinion) I don't think it's bad form to use glue or altering pieces with stitches. I think its a matter of comfort level.

One note for the bulk problem... if you do decide to sew at all, you can often bring in the garments at the side & back seams. And if you;'re making them, you can use light weight lining fabric and it will help decrease the bulk factor. :)

·
Registered
578 Posts
I do similar things as I don't really change the poses of most of my figures once they're displayed. I do this with collars, flaps, etc. and use a glue gun most of the time because it's fast and easy to use. I also use super glue, tiny saftey pins or sewing pins for tightening shirts at the back like how it's done with fashion models for print advertisements. I've used scotch or masking tape for taping socks in place as well as bloused uniform legs and shirts under the waistband of pants, which would otherwise loosen over time even when the figure is not handled. If needed, I'd glue a figure by its boots or shoes onto a base, or drill holes in the soles and tie them down with plastic coated wire ties used in boxed figures.

I get what you mean about the concept of permanence vs. functional articulation. Seeing "masters" at work in the SpecFigures mooks, I wonder if there is such a concept considering the level of amazing customization achieved for those figures, yet they will have visible elbow joints! A friend of mine who's more into collectibles than I am, for example, is very strict with what he'd consider an action figure (molded clothing, complete articulation), statues and dolls (despite the fact that the term "action figure" came about from GI Joe). Different strokes I guess...

·
prolific kitbasher, OSW Librarian
4,008 Posts
I use glue only for the edging of the pouches and load carrying vests. I used to use glue for the pockets but I dislike the results. I'm now sewing my own now.

I'm making a lot of my jackets/shirts and vests so I tend to sew everything except for the aforementioned gluing

xavuer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts