One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This figure is the result of me playing around with parts in my bin designated for old and outdated items. The results so far are dictated more by the parts I had in that bin, instead trying for a specific look. Sometimes it is just more fun that way. For me Rock n' Roll needs to have blond hair, a beard, and some sort of M-60. After that you can play around with all the other details.

The first set of pictures shows the initial progress.

The body is a modified Hasbro muscle body. The upper half is Hasbro and the lower half is Dragon. The neck has been cut down to allow me to mount the DID head. I modified the ankles by adding Anatomic joints. The boots are Dragon, they were thinned down with my Dremel on the inside to make them more pliable and allow them to flex with the ankle joint. The pouches are from retail BBI CIA Set that came with a 50 Cal. Beret and are solid vinyl. I rapped them with cloth and rigged them up to the modified 21st Century H-harness. Both are way oversized which I think works for the GI Joe theme. The M-60 is 21st Century. In the first set of pics all I did was remove the heat shield, which looked bulky and thick to me.

I took the second set of pictures last weekend after getting a few things done.

I got around to adding the beard to the head sculpt. I added some Aves to the elbows which I need to smooth out. I bulked up his legs by attaching foam strips. On the M-60 I cut out the barrel and found a new heat shield. I also added a canteen and radio to his belt.

I still have a bunch of things to do, like painting the arms and his hair. And I need to finish out his M-60. I haven't decided yet if I want to use traditional knee pads or try to make some futuristic looking ones out of Aves. I also need to make a head set for his radio. And after all that is done I will add a little weathering.

I hope to get some more work done this weekend. As always I would like to get your input, let me know what you think.

·
The Plastic Castaway
1,493 Posts
You've missed a key detail...the barrel should be bent. This is to ensure that he never hits anything smaller than a Cobra vehicle with that gun. As we all know, Joes and Cobras were all terrible shots. ;) Can't run the risk of shooting any infantry!

Kidding aside, that's a really cool figure and you've done justice to a classic character. Looking forward to seeing the finished result!

The arms look good! What figures typically had those arms? Are they found on the Classic Collection type or....?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
328th Bantar, Anti-Personnel, 1/6th happy, joecrazy, gaiagear,Tatuued1 - Thank you very much for the encouragement. I hope to be able to finish it pretty quick.

Rogue Trooper - Thanks! As far as the joints in the arms, I am hoping that one I paint them and add some weathering, they won't be as noticeable.

BrotherMatthew - Thank you. For me it helped out quite a bit to once the beard was added. I think getting it painted will help out as well. The white color of the Aves beard, makes me think of Santa.

KneeJoint - Very cool! I can't wait to see yours. That is funny, we must have picked the same gun because nothing says GI Joe over the top like a shotgun hanging off of an M-60.

Island Of Toys - Ha, your right, they were as bad as the A-Team when it came to accuracy.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
It's to weird how similar our bashes are. I'm using an HT muscle bod, the Saturday Toys RLCS H Harness, jungle BDUs (cuz they were handy). I have him wearing a ball cap but backwards. I don't have a shirt for him yet (I have a printed rock T coming from one sixth depot). I want my Rock N' Roll to be rock and roll!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Uramegak, Madbatt, Broadshore, and getoninja - Thank you guys very much.

Big Dave - Thanks. No, I have not gotten around to finishing that Dwarf, but here is one I finished back in 2004.
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32382

Kneejoint - I like the sound of your parts list. The Hot Toys muscle body and the Sat Toys RLCS will look really cool! Do you have an idea what you are going to use for the head? If you can find it the Hot Toys Vietnam M-60 gunner head would work, but you would have to repaint it. Your T-shirt idea also sounds really cool.

For my figure I kinda based it on the following picture of the 1989 release of Rock n' Roll. If you notice he got the cap, woodland pants, big arms and they also have the crossed belts that are similar to his crossed ammo belts on the first release. I hate the weapons they gave him, and I thought I would stick with an M-60. I used the 21st century because it was the only one I had sitting around. At first I was going to cut off the shotgun, but then I thought it seemed like something the Joe team would have

Attachments

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Thanks!

I checked out the classic toys and the bio sheets on the back. They gave me most of my ideas. I had a mini gun I was playing with, but went w/ the M60 because of the toy. And was back and fourth between the grenade launcher and the shotgun.

I'm digging your Joe, and looking forward to the finished piece.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts