One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Australian OSW member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty much a newbie to the 1/6 hobby at the moment, and so while I've been buying a few figures recently, I've also got several DML figures I bought a number of years ago.

One of these was a DML German, who's box and name are lost to the sands of time, but in my bitz box I have a field-grey tunic and several medals which I never affixed to the tunic, since there was no clear way to do so.

Now that I have access to such a resource of knowledge here, I'd like to finally put this tunic together properly. So I'm after 2 sets of help:

1)
How to affix the badges to the tunic - they all have two strips of plastic on the backs of them at the top and bottom. Nothing to attatch them to, however, and they're quite long. A profile of one of these would look similar to ] only with much longer strips.

2)
Proper badge placement.

edit - found the proper badge placement - Now I just need to know how to affix these to the tunic!

any help would be appreciated!

cheers,

·
BBi Fanboy
2,210 Posts
Well, one way to put the badges/awards on would be to make a small hole in the uniform, stick the plastic peg through it, then melt the end so it can't pass back through the hole.

Or, a less destructive way is to clip off the pegs, and glue it directly to the uniform.

·
Australian OSW member
3,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, one way to put the badges/awards on would be to make a small hole in the uniform, stick the plastic peg through it, then melt the end so it can't pass back through the hole.

Or, a less destructive way is to clip off the pegs, and glue it directly to the uniform.
Thanks for the reply, :)

The first is what I'd originally thought of, but wasn't sure if there's a "proper" method for attatching medals/badges besides doing so.

I thought of gluing them on, but then decided against it because glue would fuse the cloth in that area, and glued-on details are always in danger of falling off.

cheers,

·
Just a cowboy singer
721 Posts
I cut the pegs off and glue with white glue....that way if i ever want to do something else with the tunic or move any of the medals.....you just soak in water and remove the badge and all glue residue.
Doing the holes and melting the pegs is a pain in the butt and when done you can never change it and I didn't find it very sturdy at all.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
OLD post but I read it before to see if anyone was doing what I was for badges/metals etc. Especially German WW2.

The "Melt" the pins seems to work great. If you ever built a tank model especially in 1/35th scale then you know the drill with the tracks. Heat a flat head screwdriver that is small (I use an old one that I beveled the tip), once the badge is through the holes you punched just hover it [screw-tip] above it and lightly press down. Try and make a nice round melt & don't over do it. You'll or anyone else will have it down on the first try... Easy!

:dizzy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts