One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm starting another 10th SS Frundsberg bash and this figure will be sporting an m44 pea dot tunic and trousers and I was curious if it was historically accurate for SS soldiers to wear their grey tunic with the SS collar tab and rank collar tab underneath the m44 pea dot tunic with the SS symbol and rank insignia showing. Thanks:thumb

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, it depend which battle your Wss soldier is portraying, summer/winter. For example, during the Ardennes in 1944(december) they where wearing both.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hallo!

I do not do SS, but...

In brief...

The Germans had realized that wool uniforms were not all that great for summer wear, and had been experimenting with expanding the two piece drill uniform in camo to replace the "green" and off-white uniforms for work or fatigue duties ("Getarnter Drillichanzug") as well as the pullover smock for combat. And evolving into the Herringbone Twill (HBT) in Erbsenmuster (aka "pea" pattern or "pea do"')

While the smock was typically often worn over the Feldbluse, ideally the 'Drillichanzug" of light weight cheaper material was meant to substitute for the nicer wool tunic.

That is a more "by the book" or regulation view. :) But it became a hot weather uniform of its own for wear beyond drill or work details.

In the field, especially when Fall and Winter arrived, it is not unusual to see field soldiers "layering" things to stay warm and/or dry (dryer). Even as far as two wool tunics.

:)

Here is an image of the commander, Heinz Harmel with one. This lad is not wearing his Feeldbluse underneath.

I have a second image with a lad, but it is grainy and on my monitor I cannot tell if he is wearing a smock or camo tunic but it appears it is over a tunic with collar insignia showing.

Of course, one or possibly two pictures is a too small a R & V sampling in researh, but it is better than none at all. ;)

k

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hallo!

I do not know his unit, but here is lad that got 'roughed up" as a POW (violence or shell/grenade concussion effect).

On my monitor he appears, half out, half in, with his collar tabs pilfered or defaced?

k

·
i draw pictures.....
2,045 Posts
it was done..in normandy and after. i've seen about half a dozen pics of normandy grenadiers as pows wearing their grey tunics underneath their m44 dot uniforms. despite the perception of summer in normandy that year, there were cool days and cold nites as described in numerous books on the normandy battles. also it was against regulations to wear any insignia, other than the sleeve eagle, on m44 tunics so many grenadiers would wear their grey tunics underneath with the insignia collar tabs over the dot tunic. But having said all that some disregarded the rules and wore some insignia on their m44 dot tunics anyways, as many pics out there clearly show..

namaste
miguel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts