· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MG gunner from Kampfgruppe Hansen.
Belgium. December 1944.

Attachments

· Resisting Evil
5,799 Posts
Very nice figure but I would give more credit to the series of images that inspired Dragon's figure than the Dragon figure itself
Good point, even though those photos were staged by the Germans, after the battle, as has been discovered.....even before the internet, the photos didn't tell the whole story....

· 1:6 enthusiast
2,092 Posts
Good point, even though those photos were staged by the Germans, after the battle, as has been discovered.....even before the internet, the photos didn't tell the whole story....
This is a bit OT, but you've hit on a topic that I have quite a bit of interest in! I've also read that the Ardennes pictures were staged but that's no real surprise as all sides did it during WW2. Battlefield photos have been staged at least as far back as the American Civil War, when Alexander Gardner took many liberties with the scenes, by moving bodies and equipment around to add more drama to his famous images. There are many more famous images that were staged, including many from WW1. They simply didn't have the technology to take such quick and dramatic photos of men in combat at that time, often from angles that would expose the photographers to enemy fire. Due to a number of inconsistencies, many experts now believe that the very famous photo taken by war photographer Robert Capa during the Spanish Civil War, of a Republican soldier, supposedly taken at the moment of his death, was either staged or is just a chance image taken when a soldier simply slipped and fell. Many famous images from WW2 were also staged or altered. The photo of a Soviet soldier raising a flag over the Reichstag in Berlin was staged and altered. There's also a famous image of Australian soldiers in North Africa, advancing on enemy positions under cover of a smoke screen, that was staged. And what is probably the most famous staged war photo ever taken, is the flag raising on Mount Suribachi on Iwo Jima. The original flag raising by a different group of Marines with a smaller, less dramatic looking flag, took place over 90 minutes before the famous photo was taken.

· Resisting Evil
5,799 Posts
Apparently, we can't even trust the photos anymore, or could we ever trust them?

Seems nobody was satisfied with reality, but wanted what they thought reality should be....?

· i draw pictures.....
2,057 Posts
geezz..a guy can't get proper props for an outstanding figure anymore.lol some people have to sabotage the thread with their mumble jumble.
give the guy his props already and stop the bullcrap about some dragon figure. this kitbash stands on it's own!

..and btw that dragon models figure sucked [email protected]! even when it came out at the time..imo

The figure is awesome Bro!! remarkable work!!

Peace out
Miguel

· Resisting Evil
5,799 Posts
give the guy his props already and stop the bullcrap about some dragon figure. this kitbash stands on it's own!
Hey, even the OP said it was based on the DML figure
Yes, this is old figure "Rudolf" by Dragon
....so shut your cake hole! :lol

Oh, and peace out....

· 1:6 enthusiast
2,092 Posts
geezz..a guy can't get proper props for an outstanding figure anymore.lol some people have to sabotage the thread with their mumble jumble.

..and btw that dragon models figure sucked [email protected]! even when it came out at the time..imo

The figure is awesome Bro!! remarkable work!!

Peace out
Miguel
And yet, you added your "mumble jumble" to the thread. Lighten up, Miguel. No one was critical of the fact that the figure is based on a Dragon figure and plenty of "props" were given. You've been around the forums long enough to know that OT jaunts are common and tolerated if they don't get out of hand. Nothing was said here that crossed the line in any way and even though I admitted that my last comment was a bit OT, it's really not particularly OT to discuss the history behind a great figure that was inspired by a Dragon figure that was inspired by a Ron Volstad painting that was inspired by a staged photo from the Ardennes battle. Regardless of the history behind it, which is no big deal, It's a great figure and one that the creator has every right to be proud of.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.