One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to make a Army Helicopter Crew Chief and had all the gear. I had the pilot helmet that came with the 21st AH-6 Little Bird figure but I had repainted it a few times. I was going to repaint it but I ran out of paint remover so i tried nail polish remover that contained acetone but it weaked the plastic and now the helmet is ruined. I was thinking of making my own helmet based of the Gentex HGU-56/P helmet and was going to use Sculpey and Fimo to make the basic shape and parts (ie. the helmet, NVG mount, cover for lense, and NVG battery box on back of the helmet). Can anyone tell me the best product to make the lense (perferable tinted black or clear)? I have attacked pictures to give you a general idea of what I want it to look like. Thank you for your time and any help you can give.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Your talking about overhead projector sheets like in school right? If so thats a little thin fo what I need. I remember KAZ did a remake of his vietnam pilot helmet and he used something like the attachements below. Dose anyone know what he used?

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Have you thought about cheap sunglasses? I know when I need something odd I just head to the local Dollar Tree and look around. They've got a good selection of tinted sunglasses that at $1 each it's ok if you screw up a couple pairs. They could be cut and possibly shaped with a flame or hot water, mind you I've never tried but it sounds feasible. You'll find the oddest things everywhere if you are looking with an open mind...

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ah, but you've glossed over the point! I was just suggesting thinking "outside the box" and trying to do it easier and more effectively by using something pre-made that may not spring to mind right away. Who cares if the sunglasses would work, I was just brainstorming.

I personally would think "inside the box" for a project like this. Many of our figures come in plastic trays inside their boxes that support figures and equipment including helmets. One might be able to cut a symmetric piece of plastic from a recess in such a tray that could work perfectly though it would likely be untinted but that's already been covered above. Just thinking outloud...

·
Intercept,Engage,Destroy
5,195 Posts
Hey Jessclark, I could sell you a spare 21st CT helo helmet if you're interested? Just send me a 'PM' and we'll work out the details. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
You know I'm so tired of not being able to get this helmet. I've commisioned a sculptor to give it a shot. I'll let you know how it comes out. I expect to have the prototype in 60 days.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I need to see what kind of interest there is before I had them manufactured in quantity for sale separately.

Thanks Alexi

PS

Do you remember when we spoke (on the phone)? I was asking you about HALO gear and trading? I was the retired Army dude from Brooklyn calling from Georgia.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I didn't realy like the 21st Pilot Helmet since its used more with the 160th SOAR Nightstalkers. I was trying to go with what type of helmet used when many Army Helicopter crews had to rescue people that were stranded by Katrina. Also those pictures of the pilot helmets are currently the ones issued to pilots even though many prefer the older ones.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.