One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How badly does the original piece used to make the mold get damaged if at all? I want to cast the HT pred gauntlets and shin armour to use as a base for some custom armour. I want to cast it so it'll fit correctly, sand down the outside and sculpt my own design. Don't want to ruin the original though, so I figured I would ask if the paint application would be damaged or anything before I do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Using the popular silicone mold making mediums shouldn't cause any damage to your original. Especially if you use a very thin application of release agent before introducing the silicone (Vaseline is popular).

If I may, I'd like to suggest an alternative that may actually save you some time or steps towards your final objective.

Rather than cast an item that will then have to be ground down etc. because you'd like the fit to be as tight as the original, try actually making your own original with that "perfect" fit. Simply wrap a layer of plastic wrap around the limb and sculpt over that with an air-drying medium. You can create the actual finished piece you want and make a mold of that. Subsequent castings will be of the finished piece you want, without the need for grinding and resculpting.

Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts