One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

What is this G.I. Joe Custom Figure's Code Name?

• Wind Chill

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Snowblind

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Deep Freeze

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Icepick

Votes: 7 30.4%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This figure isn't finished by a longshot, but a few different pieces inspired me to start up a G.I. Joe (Real American Hero) winter trooper figure:

She's not fully geared up, the rifle is a placeholder, and I have a few other pieces that need to be customized more. The reason why I'm posting now is to get some shots of her in her native element (on the outside chance we don't get more snow this year), and to get opinions on what her code name should be. I've picked out the four that aren't in use yet and that I like, though I'm open to other suggestions.

Vote away in the poll above!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love name-calling~

Arctic Frost
Cold Snap (i like this one)
Wind Chill
Aurora
Winter (Wynter)
Glacial Spike
Hoar Frost (I like this one too)
Tundra
Zero Cel
Subzero? (Morrrtallll Kkkkommmbattt!!!)
Frostbite
Whiteout

·
GI Joe Fan
479 Posts
Unless you are doing sex changes for characters, The following names have been used for Arctic troops in GI Joe: Avalanche, Blizzard, Cold Front, Frostbite, Iceberg, Snow Job, Snow Storm, Sub-Zero, Whiteout, and Wind Chill.

If I were naming her, I would call her Ice Princess, and give her a background somewhat similar to Cover Girl, except she would be an Olympic caliber figure skater. Make up a background that says she hails from the Northern U.S., and has a lot of skiing and cold weather survival skills that she acquired growing up. Tired of being ridiculed by her brothers, she enlisted in the military and earned a spot on the Joe team. The Joes gave her the code name, because like Fumbles, it was the first impression she gave; somewhat emotionless and tough as nails!

·
1:6 Acquisitionist
12,822 Posts
She looks awesome.

"Snow White" is my suggestion.

·
Whatever Works, Dude
2,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the suggestions and votes so far, everyone! So far, I think I like Cold Snap as a possibility the most.

Should also probably clarify my two rules for any custom G.I. Joes I'm making up as kitbashes. I generally try to avoid code names that have been used before (using yojoe.com as my dictionary of choice), so while I'm not against a good application of Rule 63 (especially when we get stuff like crossplay mirror universe Captain Kirk), I'll tend to make someone new rather than gender flip an existing character (unless Hasbro does it first -- I am still thinking of how to do a good 1/6 Dial Tone in the new, female incarnation that I first ran into with G.I. Joe Resolute). Don't know how I missed that "Wind Chill" was already used, even if the character is 1 word instead of 2, but oh, well. Will see if I can modify the poll. Sorry to the members who voted for that one :bag.

The second rule I use is that I avoid code names that have more to do with the person than the skill. This is especially prominent with the female Joes, because (as much as I love 'em), Scarlett, Lady Jaye, and Cover Girl were all given code names linked to the fact that they were women, not for their skills. I think the first female Joe that didn't have a gender-linked name was Jinx. For the guys, maybe you could say this happens to Spirit and Quick Kick as prominently minority characters, but after that I think you have to go to Big Lob (and the less said about him, the better, even if I did write up his paragraph in a "top 5 worst Joes" list*). But Gung Ho's code name isn't because he's Cajun and Roadblock, Doc, and Stalker didn't get their code names because they're black. Roadblock might get his name because he's huge, but it's such a perfect fit for his skill that it's a bonus, not the rationale. I just don't want to treat the women differently (which is one reason why I loved the gender flip for Dial Tone).

I had thought of "Ice Queen," but tossed it for that reason. This soldier is a Joe because she has skills, so I want her code name to reflect that over her gender. So sorry, but no Glacia, no Ice Queen, no Ice Princess, no Snow White.

And yes, I do overthink everything. Why do you ask? :lol :D

(* = FWIW, the other entries I contributed were for the Baroness and Snake Eyes, though I can fully get behind why Metal Head sucks.)

EDIT: Also, looks like "Ice Storm" is in use, to add to SF Officer's list.

·
Say what?
9,400 Posts
I'm thinking Gone Azz (cause she froze it off).

Really nice looking figure, too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts