·
UMMM UMMM B17C#
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're a skinny girl in camo pants,it sucks

·
Silent Hunter
14,676 Posts
Well serves her right...first clue not to shoot it was the guy with the dumb ass t-shirt on handing her the pistol.

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts
I had a bud from high school who worked at the old BE Hodgdon store in Mission, Ks. At their yearly picnic, BE brought out some of his big toys, and my bud opted to shoot a Weatherby .460 Magnum rifle. It had a close eye-relief scope (for fast acquisition of dangerous game), and in this case it was too close. The recoil jammed the scope into his head, just above his nose, knocking him out and leaving a permanent crescent scar. He was a big fellow, and well-versed in firearms, but that day the bear ate him. It looks like the lady got suckered by the guy, nothing like a piss-poor instructor.

I haven't fired a DE, have put some rounds thru an AMT .50, and several models of the .500 S&W. Both wake you up, but in the case of the Smith, the grip and frame system convert the recoil to something handleable. The 5-inch barrel version is more distracting from the heat and blast, and not as hard-kicking as a .44 Mag S&W.

·
The Mighty Boosh
8,425 Posts
The best lesson I had taught to me was by the guy who invited me to shoot his Winchester 44.40, built in 1914 and with a (British) War Department stamp on it - it had been used as an air-to-air weapon by the RFC in 1914!

I lay prone, stock in nice and tight and squeezed off the first round. Nice, almost negligible recoil, so I levered in the second round and the same thing happened. When it came to my third, I had relaxed and the damned thing kicked like a mule and my wrist hit my nose.

The SOB had loaded 2 low-power home loads followed by a high-power factory load.

Ted (god rest his soul) said "That will always make you remember NEVER to take any gun for granted". It sure as hell worked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts