One Sixth Warriors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1/6 Hobbyist
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not posted here for quite a while, but probably feel confident enough now to show you what I have been up to.

I have pottered around with designing and having printed one or two part droids for a couple of years now, but over the past few months I have made a number of fully articulated human like droids. I have also just recently done a couple of fully articulated droid mechanics (see below).

My droids get sent away to be printed by a firm in the UK who SLS print and can produce very good quality models in the black nylon. The material just gives the slight flexibility which allows you to push the parts into place and they stay together. After a number of different designs and experimenting the ball and socket/hinge joints work a lot better now. I have done some fully articulated hands which have worked OK, but have usually printed multiple hands with fingers in different positions. Again, the flexibility of the materials allows you to push objects into the hands and they will remain gripped.

I go for the well worn finish and most of my droids do look like they have been been around for a while possibly out in all weathers!

·
Loser 6
617 Posts
Bensmatt55, have been a big fan of your work ever since I have seen them. If these are ever available for sale, please let me know. Glad the new process has turned out for you. These here are splendid. Good to see you back here......Jim

·
Warning: Choking Hazard !
1,387 Posts
an absolutely interesting variety of bots you've made for yourself.
top notch weathering work too..it does really look like they've been out in the elements for quite a bit.
nicely done bensmatt !

·
volunteercontentprovider
2,824 Posts
Fantastic work! The designs are very credible, and look a lot more like real-world working machines than any SWs droids. The finish is outstanding. You’ve got a fantastic product line there if you ever choose to go into production. I would definitely buy one.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Outstanding! Totally love those guys--kewl design, and excellent weathering job...

·
Last seen in Skyrim...
918 Posts
Simply outstanding! The first one really reminds me of Loaderbot's final form in Tales From The Borderlands!

·
1/6 Hobbyist
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm really impressed with these. Are the parts interchangeable? Can you, for example, put a white head on the red droid?
Generally not shazzdan, they tend to be individual pieces and I change the size of the joints depending on the size of parts.

·
1:6 Miniature Craftsman
682 Posts
Generally not shazzdan, they tend to be individual pieces and I change the size of the joints depending on the size of parts.
I think that you could make serious money from these if you standardised the joints and made the parts interchangeable - especially if they were robust enough to be played with and not just suitable for posing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts