One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
Cool photos!

But is it just me, or does anyone else think that some of the female factory workers look like they "dressed up" for the photos?

·
High Speed Recon Mech
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Without a doubt, some of the photos are indeed "staged", as with the type of film involved, knowing how slow it was, many of those shots had to have some flash or studio lighting to pull them off, but if you look close, you will see oil stains, grease starins, dirt, streaks, "whiting" of areas like at the knees of pants, other signs of wear and tear on the clothing.

Women made good money during the war years, considering the times they lived in, and yes, I do believe that back then, for the most part, people were overall "more classy" than we would find today. They were classy, and practical, and being clean if not without wear at the least. People used to repair their clothing, like doing a little sewing work, or a little dye work, to make clothing last longer, and the styles lasted longer too, nor were as extreme as we see now.

While by no means a "perfect world" back then ( no time in human history is ever perfect ), I do think it was a "better time", as overall people were more moral, dare I say religious, hard working, focused, simple in their pleasures, and thoughtful about life in general, which is why so many people were truly shocked at what was found in the death camps, the brutal nature of some of the battles, the treatment of POWs and civilians by some nations ( not all of them agreed to the Geneva Convention ), and the rapid advance of the weapons, much so the A-Bomb. I digress.

With so many men at war, with so many women left at home, looking good also could mean feeling good, and in times of prolonged stress like WW2, ever little bit helped.

·
Resisting Evil
5,730 Posts
I just thought that if you were working, say, in a factory on aircraft engines, you would likely be wearing some kind of coveralls or something......not your own personal clothing......maybe all the clothing production went to the war effort (which this would be....:think) times were very different then, I guess.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts