One Sixth Warriors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I've been lurking here for a while but would like to see all Legionnaires that have been done by you guys. I am working on putting up a display of all the 1/6 legionnaires that I can buy and one kit bashing that I have planned to do to make a Legionnaire from the 2 REI that looks the way we did in the former Yugoslavia in the 90's anyway thanks in advance!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is my lonely 2 cents contribution. Not a REI though, it has same gear as they used once.
http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...er-rcp-french-para-90s-vaincre-ou-mourir.html
Very well done! I'm curious where you got your references from. I wore that stuff for 10 yrs. and while I know the French regular army probably had some different equipment then us, especially in war time but some of that gear is new to me. I'm not nit picking because you did an incredible job! I'm just curious about gear that wasn't made available to us. For instance the AT4, we had 2 different hand held rocket launchers but I never saw that one. Also when it comes to the FAMAS bayonet we were never given that except for parading, we cleaned them a lot but when on operation we never saw it.

·
Kasparov's apprentice
777 Posts
Very well done! I'm curious where you got your references from. I wore that stuff for 10 yrs. and while I know the French regular army probably had some different equipment then us, especially in war time but some of that gear is new to me. I'm not nit picking because you did an incredible job! I'm just curious about gear that wasn't made available to us. For instance the AT4, we had 2 different hand held rocket launchers but I never saw that one. Also when it comes to the FAMAS bayonet we were never given that except for parading, we cleaned them a lot but when on operation we never saw it.
Thank you very much for the feedback. Attached you'll have some pics showing French soldiers carrying some AT-4. Besides the broad info found online, my work was based mainly on references of both books "French Foreign Legion Paratroopers (2eREI)" written by the famous Yves Debay and "French Special Forces" by Eric Micheletti. They are, as you may know already, truly experts in the matter. IMO, outstanding books, with tons of color pics and descriptions. There you will find among other gear, pics showing Legionaires & Comandos using AT-4 (as standard weapon), the "harnais de combat HDL100" and the SIG 551. Please don't hesitate to let me know if you have any further comment.

at4_01 by aldan2009, on Flickr

asafg1941 by aldan2009, on Flickr

510px-AT4_2REI_1 by aldan2009, on Flickr

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't doubt they carried that but the 2REI didn't have those from 90 to 00 we had the LRAC 89 and were phasing out the RAC 112. Those pics you posted were from a book about the Legion? The 1st one is impossible to tell the 2nd is not Legionnaires and the 3rd is also hard to tell but the rank patch doesn't look legion. The guys in those pictures don't look like the Legionnaires I remember lol! I was reading an article by a guy who was in the legion when I was but is still in now and he said they call the new legionnaires "generation play station" he said the guys joining now aren't hard like when he 1st joined in the 90's I found that pretty interesting.

·
Kasparov's apprentice
777 Posts
I didn't doubt they carried that but the 2REI didn't have those from 90 to 00 we had the LRAC 89 and were phasing out the RAC 112. Those pics you posted were from a book about the Legion? The 1st one is impossible to tell the 2nd is not Legionnaires and the 3rd is also hard to tell but the rank patch doesn't look legion. The guys in those pictures don't look like the Legionnaires I remember lol! I was reading an article by a guy who was in the legion when I was but is still in now and he said they call the new legionnaires "generation play station" he said the guys joining now aren't hard like when he 1st joined in the 90's I found that pretty interesting.
...so I guess legionaries from the 60, 70 & 80's would have said the same. Lol. Nope, you're right, those guys in the pics are not legionaires. However, once I fix my scanner I will send you pics from the books I mentioned already. Another point to clearfy is the fact that my fig isn't actually a legionary but a para from 2n rcp, right? Greetings.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...so I guess legionaries from the 60, 70 & 80's would have said the same. Lol. Nope, you're right, those guys in the pics are not legionaires. However, once I fix my scanner I will send you pics from the books I mentioned already. Another point to clearfy is the fact that my fig isn't actually a legionary but a para from 2n rcp, right? Greetings.
I'm not sure they said it with quite the same reality, the only thing that really changed between the 60's till I joined was where basic was held and that you had to be running from something once upon a time.

Yeah I did lose track of the fact that your figure was a fraise du boire lol!

I even remember seeing French Air Force conscripts doing anti terrorism patrol in Marsielle with MAT 49's...

·
wave man TDY staff
41,776 Posts

bbi made "Bruno", which you might still find, from time to time. You'd need the green beret and some other stuff, to make him a legionnaire. Before him, they did "Leon Javert", a legionnaire. Same uniform, no body armor, but he had a load-bearing vest. He also had the earlier ballistic helmet like those in ali's pictures.

Were you wearing the camouflage uniform in former Yugoslavia, or the older green uniform?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

bbi made "Bruno", which you might still find, from time to time. You'd need the green beret and some other stuff, to make him a legionnaire. Before him, they did "Leon Javert", a legionnaire. Same uniform, no body armor, but he had a load-bearing vest. He also had the earlier ballistic helmet like those in ali's pictures.

Were you wearing the camouflage uniform in former Yugoslavia, or the older green uniform?
Thanks! I have both you mentioned as well as marcel and DiD's paratrooper on the way to me. Marcel was pure luck finding him! I really want the Armoury legionnaire but haven't found one yet...

·
Per ardua ad astra
1,105 Posts
Thanks! I have both you mentioned as well as marcel and DiD's paratrooper on the way to me. Marcel was pure luck finding him! I really want the Armoury legionnaire but haven't found one yet...
Caveat emptor, eBay has one for sale.

Echobasetoys also has another Armoury French figure, but it's a 1st RPIMa.

Dunno much about French militaria but I hope these help.

EDIT: ACE also made a legionnaire a few months ago, http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...egion-1er-regiment-etranger-de-cavalerie.html, if that will interest you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
One Sixth Striker
998 Posts
The only Legionaire I have is the French Airborne Bruno by BBi. Can't stand the giant head it came with so I swapped it out, it looks much better now

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm surprised no one has done a legionnaire from the 3REI during Indochina! They have to have had some of the worst luck ever! They were asked to volunteer to jump into Dien Bien Phu with only 1 day of jump training as relief then got dropped on the wrong side and were all killed or captured as they hit the ground.

·
Registered
484 Posts
FFL paras, circa 1952/3. An adjutant in "sausage skin" and a MG team in mix and max camo. One of them is a CIPLE local soldier.

My Machine gun team:

Adjutant (Warrant Officer):

-Nate

1 - 20 of 20 Posts